Everyday items that pets use as toys

Comments

• CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HollyC wrote: »
    My cat also loves pens, and also cotton buds (which I try not to let her have!). She also plays with small bits of paper and can spend ages pouncing on them and pushing them under the rug.

My sister has two cats - the boy loves hair elastics and often carries them around. Her little girl loves underwear. She came home from work once, to find a trail of knickers, bras and socks down the stairs and into the living room. :D
    My cat loves pens as well, found about 20 under the sofa!:D. He also likes hair combs, he keeps knocking them on the floor in the bathroom!:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of my cats loves pants and the other loves hairbrushes :D
  • misha06misha06 Posts: 3,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Beast used to love toys when he was a kitten. He had balls, mice, all sorts which he would scamper about with.

I used to have a black bird glove puppet which if you squeezed would squalk loudly, it was twice the size of him and he would attack it, it would squalk, he would get get scared and run off.

As he got a bit bigger and braver he would pounce on it, it would squalk and he would shake it about.

It ended up a ratty, ragged thing.:D

A bit OT but: He doesn't 'do' toys now, but we have a 'House Gremlin' which the in laws gave us when we got married to bring us luck.

It's sort of a cross between a gnome and a scarecrow but it freaks The Beast out for some strange reason.

If we take it off the window sill and show him it he runs off.

But when we are not about he will attack it and knock it off the sill and it has scratches and scuffs to show for it.:confused:
  • KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Plastic bottles and socks.
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Next door neighbour's mini-Schnauzer has a fetish for underwear and socks. We live facing out onto a major public road and Jake thinks nothing of dragging out pairs of said neighbour's boxer shorts and depositing them all over the garden. As I look after him, he has also done the same with my underwear and slippers (i.e. pinching things from the airer!).:o

My own Springer spaniel loves 'rearranging' the sofa for his own comfort, pulling off the throw and lobbing the cushions to the floor. The cat thinks the sofa is a toy and delights in sharpening her claws on it. Thank goodness it's old and not leather.:rolleyes: Out of all the toys I bought Ollie (Springer), he much prefers handbrushes and dustpans. I give him discarded handbrushes as I think he likes to clean his teeth with them.

I have to be careful not to leave any plastic bags near the guinea pig crate as they love to drag them through and chomp on them. During a hot summer, I once put solid (seemingly impenetrable) freezer blocks down in the crate and wrapped them in a tea towel to help the piggies stay cool. An hour later, I couldn't believe they'd gnawed through the tough plastic to the frozen gel. When they were allowed to roam free, they'd nibble every wire and cable going. I had to call the Virgin TV/phone people out on one occasion. It's a wonder none of them were electrocuted or poisoned! :eek:
  • MoonbeanMoonbean Posts: 1,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another vote for dogs with socks! My Mollie loves a good sock, so consequently there are random ones lying all over the house where she's left them. She used to stockpile (or should that be sockpile?) them behind the settee, but now just leaves them out in the open for all to see.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 271
    Forum Member
    My two kitties are crazy for pens. They also love those in-ear headphones which they'll happily take to pieces, and also any change we might leave lying around. We try not to do that, but they just seem to have a knack for finding money and they'll wander past carrying it in their mouths! My heatproof mat is their current trophy as well for some reason!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bumbar wrote: »
    One of my old cats used to drag some of my sisters tampons out of drawer and bat them all round the house.A bit embarrasing to bring someone home a find tampons everywhere.

LOL. this made me laugh out loud. i cant imagine not finding this funny. if only it had been caught on video
  • ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    My cat loves to chase shadows & plastic bottle tops.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 111
    Forum Member
    My kitten currently has a thing for the feather duster. He just lies there with it and then starts patting it.

He also likes my long schooling whip when I come home from the stables. Many a time I have found it in random places when he had dragged it around the house.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 88
    Forum Member
    Our dogs love playing socks. They bring them outside our gate.
  • KarisKaris Posts: 6,380
    Forum Member
    molliepops wrote: »
    If he can get into the bathroom the loo brush is Duncan's favourite - disgusting habit so we bought him one of his own and he loves running around with it - odd dog is our Duncan !

Ha ha ha. Brilliant. Mine love newspaper. We have lots of packing materials here and if they can get their paws on it, they'll make a bed out of it. They'll do it anywhere. In the hall, the kitchen, on the middle of the living room floor. They're unashamed about it!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pixie loves her "brush" - it's a yard broom she drags about. At my mum's she seeks out the brush that's used to sweep the kitchen floor and swings it about. She also has her wee house - my daughters pop up mesh laundry basket. She knocks it over, drags anything in it out and settles inside as if it was a kennel.

Melin loves socks and bras - especially the kill the sock game with Pixie. He also loves tampons (unused) he bobs them about if he gets a chance to get to a box.

They both love cardboard boxes, well destroying cardboard boxes. Both are quite methodical. They rip little bits off at a time.

If anything goes missing we check the Combat Corgis Head Quarters first then their beds.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my family have three young kittens they love a piece of paper screwed up unto a ball they chase it up and down the hall and kitchen every evening picking it up like a dog would and putting it back at my feet for me to throw it again. we follow this (ritual) every night.
  • Susan_A1951Susan_A1951 Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a very placid cat whose only mania was kitchen rolls. She would pull them down off the shelf and got mad - tearing them into threads with her claws.
  • carolineglasgowcarolineglasgow Posts: 828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Both of my cats like kitchen roll. They don't play with it very often but, when they do, they drag it all over the kitchen floor.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My cat likes toilet roll (while its still on the roll), pens, bits of wood pellet cat litter she's kicked out of the litter tray are great fun to chase round the kitchen, pulling clothes off the clothes airer and killing them, killing the furry rug and anything on the bedside tables is a toy at 3am! :p
  • Miffy290580Miffy290580 Posts: 10,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My cat loves hair bobbles to the point where she has them more than I do so I struggle to find any!
  • Ivory219Ivory219 Posts: 74
    Forum Member
    My dad has been staying over christmas, and his dog will not leave my blooming umbrella alone lol
    It's just a small one that fits in my handbag but she loves it! Throws it up in the air and catches it.
    Suppose I had better let her take it home when she goes, been keeping her amused for days :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 276
    Forum Member
    For my staff, an old car tyre does it every time! He will even pounce on abandoned ones he finds on walk!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 276
    Forum Member
    Oh and traffic cones, he can often be found attached to those!
  • Laters BabyLaters Baby Posts: 488
    Forum Member
    For my kitten it's tinfoil screwed up into a small ball! he'll happily knock it around the floor for hours. also my kitchen wall, my curtains and my christmas tree!!!! :cry: it was perfect before christmas but thanks to my tiny terror it looks like it's been dragged along the motorway for three hours by a truck! :cry::p
  • floozie_21floozie_21 Posts: 3,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My cat loves ripping toilet roll to shreds so we have to make sure all bathroom doors are closed at all times. He also treats my leather sofa like a scratching post, which I'm gutted about as we'd only had it 6 months before Fudge came along and tore it to pieces! We ended up having to Sellotape the sides as its the only thing that stops him clawing it!
    Other than that, he does have one 'toy' that he adores and that's one of those finger-trap things. He loves it when you spring it across the room and he'll play fetch with it.
  • mangomoonmangomoon Posts: 2,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My cat used to drool over pipe cleaners
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ivory219 wrote: »
    My dad has been staying over christmas, and his dog will not leave my blooming umbrella alone lol
    It's just a small one that fits in my handbag but she loves it! Throws it up in the air and catches it.
    Suppose I had better let her take it home when she goes, been keeping her amused for days :D

That is so lovely.

I bet if you got her one of her own she wouldn't give it house room.