Options

Tourettes

Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
Forum Member
✭✭
I do admit to not knowing much if anything about this but something struck me last night. I was watching the lad on the Undateables getting married in Las Vegas.

I wondered why people with Tourettes don't have the urge to shout out carrots, angle grinder or town hall clock. Why is it always swear words?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 435
    Forum Member
    They shout all sorts, not just swearing. In the Undateables it was "special fungus" from Brent as well as "thundercats" from Ruth.
  • Options
    rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You couldn't have been paying much attention, that guy often replaces swear words with random words. His best ones that day were "special fungus" "Spanish fox" and "country walks"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    "Country Walks" was an extrapolation from the C bomb. He obviously shouted the C bomb then was able to continue it into something less offensive.
  • Options
    hazydayzhazydayz Posts: 6,909
    Forum Member
    I'm gonna use this in my day to day life.

Who the spanish fox do you fink you are eh?! If you don't like it m8, you can stick it right up you country walks!

:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it might be because in their heads they are trying so hard not to tick and thinking 'oh god if I do I hope it's not a swear word' that a swear word ends up coming out.

They do shout out some random words too though- you could see Brent's face like WTF when he said special fungus 😬
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ARSE!!!!!

Sorry :blush:
  • Options
    lee_sharplee_sharp Posts: 605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was a BBC3 (I think) programme and a load of British tourettes sufferers visited America to meet a group of American sufferers. They landed at an airport where the majority of people in sight were African American and one of the British group bellowed out N*****s.

This condition, must lead to a lot of fights and misunderstandings.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    lee_sharp wrote: »
    There was a BBC3 (I think) programme and a load of British tourettes sufferers visited America to meet a group of American sufferers. They landed at an airport where the majority of people in sight were African American and one of the British group bellowed out N*****s.

This is one of the funniest/worst traits about Tourettes (or at least how it's been portrayed on TV) - the inability to keep thoughts to yourself. Like when they're walking down the street and a ginger person walks by, they shout ginger tos*er!
  • Options
    scottie2121scottie2121 Posts: 11,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are lots of ways Tourette's can affect someone. This can include vocal tics and/or physical tics. People with Tourette's may also be more prone to depression, anxiety and obsessions.

The most important thing though is that Tourette's doesn't define a person.

As with a lot of things it's individual and different people will present with different behaviours - some more obvious than others.
  • Options
    SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    W@nkers :blush:
  • Options
    scheadschead Posts: 977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Girls, Drink, F eck, Arse Biscuits!!
  • Options
    Phil OwensPhil Owens Posts: 6,989
    Forum Member
    What do we want ?
    A cure for Tourettes
    When do we want it ?
    " p!ss flaps !"
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have middle class tourettes. I shout AGA! in the middle of sentences.
  • Options
    kitty86kitty86 Posts: 7,034
    Forum Member
    Crunchy tits and hey bitch when he saw his wife were a classic.

Although my favourite is still Ruth's "peado in a speedo" :D
  • Options
    VulpesVulpes Posts: 1,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kitty86 wrote: »
    Crunchy tits and hey bitch when he saw his wife were a classic.

Although my favourite is still Ruth's "peado in a speedo" :D

Ruth's "kick him in the nuts, send him to space" always cracks me up! :D
  • Options
    Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Something endearing about Ruth! Thunder cats!
  • Options
    lea_uklea_uk Posts: 9,648
    Forum Member
    Some of us don't have the urge to shout out anything.
  • Options
    tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do admit to not knowing much if anything about this but something struck me last night. I was watching the lad on the Undateables getting married in Las Vegas.

I wondered why people with Tourettes don't have the urge to shout out carrots, angle grinder or town hall clock. Why is it always swear words?

As I am sure a myriad of people have said already, its not always swear words and sometimes is not words at all, just noises and sounds.

As for why swear words do make up a large amount of the verbal tics suffered by tourettes sufferers, I suspect that is to do with the emotive connection with certain words, plenty of studies have been done which shows that we have a physiological reaction to particular words, especially 'bad' words.
  • Options
    Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cribside wrote: »
    This is one of the funniest/worst traits about Tourettes (or at least how it's been portrayed on TV) - the inability to keep thoughts to yourself. Like when they're walking down the street and a ginger person walks by, they shout ginger tos*er!

Thanks for that. From a ginger. :blush:
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    lee_sharp wrote: »

This condition, must lead to a lot of fights and misunderstandings.
    Teenage Tourettes Camp is one of the funniest documentaries i've ever seen. Get a few drinks down ya and give it a watch and you'll be in hysterics.
  • Options
    scottie2121scottie2121 Posts: 11,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Teenage Tourettes Camp is one of the funniest documentaries i've ever seen. Get a few drinks down ya and give it a watch and you'll be in hysterics.

Charming.

So next for you - documentaries about Down's syndrome? Autism? Cerebral Palsy?
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    NOBODY....expects the Spanish fox.
    (literally)
  • Options
    rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charming.

To be fair, Tourette's is hilarious and I don't feel bad about laughing out loud every time there's a documentary on. Shouting out competely random combinations of words is the purest form of comedy, there's a build up where you know something is coming but you don't know what, then it's........SPECIAL FUNGUS

It's hardly in the same category as downs syndrome ffs
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Charming.

Are they intrinsically funny?
    I guess watching people with CP have a race could provide some laughs.
  • Options
    SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trevgo wrote: »
    I shout AGA! in the middle of sentences.
    Do the rest say doo after? :blush: