Options

Dresden - Time for UK/US to Issue Regrets?

GreatGodPanGreatGodPan Posts: 53,186
Forum Member
The Archbishop of Canterbury, in a speech in Dresden today, said the events of those nights when the city was fire bombed and 25,000 died as having "diminished all our humanity".

I believe this was a disproportionate action and a stain on the UK/US fight against Fascism in the war.

Maybe it is time for the governments of the UK and US to issue regrets for the actions of those nights?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-31452693

Comments

• Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    why not reverse time and unbomb everyone we did ..... and then they do it .....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member

I believe this was a disproportionate action and a stain on the UK/US fight against Fascism in the war.

I wonder if you would be saying this in 1940 when your kids were blown up along with your house as you were listening to the wireless in a nice suburb of east London.
  • Options
    Dr. ClawDr. Claw Posts: 7,375
    Forum Member
    oh well, anyway hopefully the germans repaid the reparations they owe(d)? the rest of the world
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I wonder if you would be saying this in 1940 when your kids were blown up along with your house as you were listening to the wireless in a nice suburb of east London.

This addresses the question - how exactly?

You think the shades of the British dead children would want to see thousands of German children die too?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member

You think the shades of the British dead children would want to see thousands of German children die too?

Would we still have to apologise if Hitler won?
  • Options
    BlairdennonBlairdennon Posts: 14,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

When the Nazis obliterated Coventry as an exercise in total destruction I am sure most would not want to kill women and children but the reality is if you did not do something equally horrific then it would continue on with each new generation. You seem to applaud killing Fascists but hate killing children many of whom were armed with grenade launchers to repel the invaders and keep Fascism alive. It is a conundrum but we should not apologise as I have a relative whose mother was machine gunned by a German fighter as she hung her washing out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    When the Nazis obliterated Coventry as an exercise in total destruction I am sure most would not want to kill women and children but the reality is if you did not do something equally horrific then it would continue on with each new generation. You seem to applaud killing Fascists but hate killing children many of whom were armed with grenade launchers to repel the invaders and keep Fascism alive. It is a conundrum but we should not apologise as I have a relative whose mother was machine gunned by a German fighter as she hung her washing out.

I'm sorry? I don't "applaud" the mass killing of any nation's civilian population.

Your last sentence is rather irrelevant - and a little odd.

You think a national standpoint on the horrors of Hiroshima and Nagasaki should be coloured by the fact an uncle of mine was killed fighting the Japanese in Burma? :confused:
  • Options
    PrestonAlPrestonAl Posts: 10,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sorry? I don't "applaud" the mass killing of any nation's civilian population.

You think a national standpoint on the horrors of Hiroshima and Nagasaki should be coloured by the fact an uncle of mine was killed fighting the Japanese in Burma? :confused:

Did the bombing save any allied lives?
  • Options
    BryanandLucBryanandLuc Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watching the newsreels from that time, and hearing the suviving witnesses makes me ashamed that this was done in our name
    The war was nearly over and no military gain was had from this action, so why did they do it
    Revenge for London and Coventry?
  • Options
    Black SheepBlack Sheep Posts: 15,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Archbishop of Canterbury, in a speech in Dresden today, said the events of those nights when the city was fire bombed and 25,000 died as having "diminished all our humanity".

Maybe it is time for the governments of the UK and US to issue regrets for the actions of those nights?

While it might be regrettable that Dresden was bombed so close to the end of a war that was essentially won by that time, it is also regrettable that the Nazis didn't surrender when the writing was on the wall.

I don't believe that it was any more disproportionate than any bombing campaign by any of the belligerents in WW2.

Certainly not any more disproportionate than the deliberate planned murder of millions of Europeans just for being different.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member

That is just the usual 100% pure neo-Nazi revisionist line and I have zero time for such misplaced views!

Dresden usually crops up this time of year and it's time for an injection of hard facts. Dresden was up to its neck in terms of Third Reich military involvement in WWII. For example, there were many military targets including wartime industrial plants, communications infrastructure, military installations and railway marshalling yards (used to transport military materiel).

There were also valid concerns that Dresden would be used as a staging post to reinforce German positions in the eastern province of Silesia and thus delay the end of the war even further (with even more fatalities). Therefore, on military and strategic grounds, the bombing of Dresden was fully justified.

The blame for the bombing of Dresden must ultimately reside with the Nazis and German armed forces because their fanaticism and refusal to surrender (despite their ongoing defeats) meant that the war went on until the bitter end. It was clear from mid-1943 onwards that the Nazis would lose and any sane regime would have ended it there and that would have saved millions of lives.

After WWII, the United States Air Force Historical Division conducted a thorough review into the bombing of Dresden which detailed the military importance of Dresden. That original report can be read in full right here: http://www.afhso.af.mil/shared/media/document/AFD-110208-030.pdf

In addition, the total death toll at Dresden was about 25,000 and put into the wider context, that was about the same as a week's exterminations at a single Nazi death camp.

OP, you really have plumbed the depths of political depravity with this thread.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No she was hanging out her washing in her home in Portsmouth, it was a terror attack, designed to frighten and terrorise the civilian population, all part of that war.
    You do seem to support the fight against Fascism and in a fight the very nature of it means that a greater or lesser number of people get killed. How else do you fight the good fight other than by killing people?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watching the newsreels from that time, and hearing the suviving witnesses makes me ashamed that this was done in our name
    The war was nearly over and no military gain was had from this action, so why did they do it
    Revenge for London and Coventry?

London and Coventry were very fresh in people's minds, the newsreels of the time were dealing with what happened at the time and there were many women and children in British cities blown to bits that British people had to deal with and, literally, pick up the pieces.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member

We fought the Germans, not fascism.

There were no civilians during the war as everybody helped in the war effort, including women and children.
  • Options
    MartinPMartinP Posts: 31,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you think the people who bombed Dresden should have been put on trial for war crimes, GGP?
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    PrestonAl wrote: »
    Did the bombing save any allied lives?

We were at war and it was a war we had to win.

I do not rejoice in the deaths of anyone.
  • Options
    AndyCopenAndyCopen Posts: 2,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Herman Goering introduced a new word into the English Language "coventrate", "To devastate by heavy bombing" after the Germans fire bombing attack in 1940

Perhaps Frau Merkal can go and apologise to the people of Coventry next time she comes over to visit her Northern Provinces
  • Options
    jacquelineannejacquelineanne Posts: 1,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Exactly. Some people have conveniently forgotten about the Blitz.
  • Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

The Germans started the war and bombed the UK indiscriminately.

We retaliated.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A long dead relative of mine bailed out over Germany after being part of a bombing raid and was nearly butchered alive by angry German civilians when they realised he was part of the bombing raid over their town.
    It was only the intervention of a couple of Wehrmacht soldiers that saved his life.

There was not any strategic sense in bombing Dresden as no specific factories vital to the German war effort were earmarked in this raid.
    It was simply a terror raid that served no purpose other than to terrorise the population.
    Over 600,000 German civilians died in Allied bombing raids including 76,000 children compared to 43,000 British civilian casualties.

Yes the Germans started it, but by 1945 the German civilian population had a beating 10 times worse in revenge and Dresden was simply the equivalent of putting the boot in on someone out on the floor.
  • Options
    AndyCopenAndyCopen Posts: 2,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A long dead relative of mine bailed out over Germany after being part of a bombing raid and was nearly butchered alive by angry German civilians when they realised he was part of the bombing raid over their town.
    It was only the intervention of a couple of Wehrmacht soldiers that saved his life.

There was not any strategic sense in bombing Dresden as no specific factories vital to the German war effort were earmarked in this raid.
    It was simply a terror raid that served no purpose other than to terrorise the population.
    Over 600,000 German civilians died in Allied bombing raids including 76,000 children compared to 43,000 British civilian casualties.

Yes the Germans started it, but by 1945 the German civilian population had a beating 10 times worse in revenge and Dresden was simply the equivalent of putting the boot in on someone out on the floor.

Those who sow the wind, reap the whirlwind.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member

There was not any strategic sense in bombing Dresden as no specific factories vital to the German war effort were earmarked in this raid

That is the usual, distorted and inaccurate revisionist fiction. In contrast, this is actual fact: http://www.afhso.af.mil/shared/media/document/AFD-110208-030.pdf
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AndyCopen wrote: »
    Those who sow the wind, reap the whirlwind.

Well let's hope somebody isn't out on the floor cold when you come out the pub looking for revenge
    Neathandral comes to mind when I read some comments on these boards by certain posters....
  • Options
    DaccoDacco Posts: 3,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No..............
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is the usual, distorted and inaccurate revisionist fiction. In contrast, this is actual fact: http://www.afhso.af.mil/shared/media/document/AFD-110208-030.pdf

Your 'link' is a report prepared by the USAF to justify itself.
    Its rather like a panel of football hooligans being asked to prepare a report on football hooliganism...