Is drinking tap water safe?

hazydayzhazydayz Posts: 6,909
Forum Member
I've had bad toothache all week and drink lots of tap water but is it ok to drink? I drink a lot every day and usually put bottles in the fridge too.

Comments

• steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are we all dropping dead through drinking tap water?

No so that should answer your question.
  • RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,071
    Forum Member
    If it's straight off the mains like in the kitchen, yes.
    If from a tank like most bathroom taps then not really recommended.
  • Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    In the uk, yes generally its safe.
  • SunnierSunnier Posts: 850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just my opinion but filtering tap water as much as possible is a good idea..

ETA : I use one of these,..

https://sizzle.co.uk/brita-aluna-water-filter-jug-24l-white-234625011?gclid=COP6j7nj7sMCFSIewwod1lQAMA
  • VulpesVulpes Posts: 1,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From the mains, yep. Even safer if you're not using a mixer tap.
  • BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    As long as your tap isn't pumped from the sewer, yes.
  • hunter23hunter23 Posts: 3,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    only if you carry out a health and safety check before you turn the tap
  • EvieJEvieJ Posts: 6,034
    Forum Member
    Of course, though you can drink too much water.
  • AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In this country, yes. Almost always. In fact in hard water areas the minerals in the water might make it a health drink. I drink tap water all the time - don't believe in wasting money on ludicrously overpriced bottled water.
    If from a tank like most bathroom taps then not really recommended.
    I wonder if it is still 'most'. Both of the houses I've owned were built in the 80s and every cold tap in the house is fed from the mains. The cold water storage tank is only used for the hot water taps and the showers.

Anywhere here's what defra have to say:

http://dwi.defra.gov.uk/consumers/advice-leaflets/tanks.pdf

My heating system is open vented and has its own small water tank.
  • hazydayzhazydayz Posts: 6,909
    Forum Member
    I just thought it might have something to do with my toothache and i've had diarrhea today and thought i might be coming down with something caused by the water.
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ... it could be that you have billions of bacteria leaching from your teeth that are going to blow a hole in you before you can get to the dentist.
    Have a nice evening.
    Forum Member
    Andrue wrote: »
    In this country, yes. Almost always. In fact in hard water areas the minerals in the water might make it a health drink. I drink tap water all the time - don't believe in wasting money on ludicrously overpriced bottled water.I wonder if it is still 'most'. Both of the houses I've owned were built in the 80s and every cold tap in the house is fed from the mains. The cold water storage tank is only used for the hot water taps and the showers.

Anywhere here's what defra have to say:

http://dwi.defra.gov.uk/consumers/advice-leaflets/tanks.pdf

My heating system is open vented and has its own small water tank.
    Our house is an 80s build and the tap in the bathroom upstairs is tank fed.
    Forum Member
    hazydayz wrote: »
    I just thought it might have something to do with my toothache and i've had diarrhea today and thought i might be coming down with something caused by the water.

Highly unlikely.
  • itscoldoutsideitscoldoutside Posts: 3,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Safer than bottled water which contain chemicals which leak in to the water under certain conditions.
  • MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never had any issues. The bottled water thing is a total scam in this country.
  • AnnieBakerAnnieBaker Posts: 4,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can test your tap water, I am thinking of doing it myself. If your house has some old copper pipes etc. it can affect the water quality.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    yes........
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    Only if you filter it through tin foil first.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh you should let it run for 5 seconds before you use it as some pipes can be made from lead.
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the UK, yes. Drinking tap water is perfectly safe.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,376
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had bad toothache all week and drink lots of tap water but is it ok to drink? I drink a lot every day and usually put bottles in the fridge too.

Of course it's safe plus it's so much healthier than all the sugar soaked soft drinks we consume. My old dad thinks its crazy that bottled water costs more than a bottle of beer.
    Forum Member
    Oh you should let it run for 5 seconds before you use it as some pipes can be made from lead.

Really? Still?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really? Still?

Yes, in old pipes and houses prior to 1970.

http://dwi.defra.gov.uk/consumers/advice-leaflets/lead.pdf

Although they being replaced over time.
    Occasional lead occurs naturally in groundwater however, this is a rare situation in the UK and lead is not present in the water within our wider public water supply network. However before 1970, many smaller water pipes were made from lead. Although lead pipes have not been permitted for this purpose for four decades, in older properties it remains possible that part, or all, of the underground service pipe connecting the water main in the street to your kitchen tap may be made from lead. It is also possible that some original lead plumbing remains within older properties especially if the kitchen has not been modernised.
    A less common cause of lead in drinking water is the illegal use of lead based solder to join together sections of copper pipe.
  • SarahJamSarahJam Posts: 522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Is this the first time you've drank water from the tap?!
  • hazydayzhazydayz Posts: 6,909
    Forum Member
    No i've been drinking it for weeks but i used bottles in the fridge to keep it cold and a few weeks ago i noticed on one of the bottles there was a blackish mark near the top of the bottle. I thought maybe the water had done it so threw it out and anytime i would drink water i would just drink from a glass.