Options

Should leave 10% free on your hard drive - true?

Was given advice to leave about 10% free on any hard drive as the file system degrades in performance with file transfers/write speed etc and can lead to more chances of corrupting the file system on the drive. I was more annoyed by the advice because I thought about how many people would be caught out by it because it effectively means that 10% of your space is now useless! And they don't warn you so people like me will just fill it to the brim and risk it in huge numbers, just as I did with a 3TB drive recently which I now have lost, most was elsewhere too but not quite everything. Unless you are doing a one off copy of something that fills the drive which you could risk. We already lose quite a bit of hard drive to the overhead on the file system, eg a 1 TB drive formatted as FAT32 displays as 931 GB capacity in Windows. So now what would we have, 810 GB? Not bad, but not quite what we thought we were paying for.

So I'll probably have to follow this because once the idea is in your head, but why don't they warn people and how big a risk is this anyway? I've not had too many problems and not sure if the 3 TB which I'd completely filled was actually damaged by a knock.

Comments

• Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you talking about external HDDs or storage in computers?
  • Options
    calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think there is some validity in it.

The analogy I always think of is that a hard drive is like a book case filling up with books. With different files taking up space as books do. And even different parts of the same file taking up space in different places.

Whenever you save something, the book case is reorganised as efficiently as possible. So if there is plenty of space on the book case, its fairly easy to move stuff around.

But if the book case is virtually full, then it becomes increasingly difficult to do that, and the whole thing becomes less and less efficient.

I don't think it renders 10% useless - it just means you'll probably start to notice a real slow down on your computer when opening and saving files when the hard drive is nearly full.
  • Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was given advice to leave about 10% free on any hard drive as the file system degrades in performance with file transfers/write speed etc and can lead to more chances of corrupting the file system on the drive. I was more annoyed by the advice because I thought about how many people would be caught out by it because it effectively means that 10% of your space is now useless! And they don't warn you so people like me will just fill it to the brim and risk it in huge numbers, just as I did with a 3TB drive recently which I now have lost, most was elsewhere too but not quite everything. Unless you are doing a one off copy of something that fills the drive which you could risk. We already lose quite a bit of hard drive to the overhead on the file system, eg a 1 TB drive formatted as FAT32 displays as 931 GB capacity in Windows. So now what would we have, 810 GB? Not bad, but not quite what we thought we were paying for.

So I'll probably have to follow this because once the idea is in your head, but why don't they warn people and how big a risk is this anyway? I've not had too many problems and not sure if the 3 TB which I'd completely filled was actually damaged by a knock.

Have you read The Instructions for these complex pieces of technology you wish to use?
    There are warnings aplenty.
    I'll grant that the full Instructions are rather large, so many choose popular shortforms.

Perhaps the main criticism is that manufacturers promote these things as suitable for anyone, and able to transform your life for the better, without any training.
  • Options
    Helmut10Helmut10 Posts: 2,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The reasons you have been given are wrong, however FAT32 is not particularly good on large HDDs.

You do need about 20% free on a Hard Drive for various reasons.
    A lot of processes require temporary space on the drive. e.g. burning a Blu-ray disc anything up to maybe 50 GB.

Even something as mundane as a printer maybe requires 1 GB.

Defragmenting a drive also needs a lot of temporary space, 20% free is usually quoted for that.

So when you are down to less than about 20% things start to slow up, the space is not lost it's made use of all be it temporarily by Windows and Applications.

If you want 1 TB of space you buy a 2 TB drive, don't see why that's a 'problem'.
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We already lose quite a bit of hard drive to the overhead on the file system, eg a 1 TB drive formatted as FAT32 displays as 931 GB capacity in Windows.
    This is an oldie but it is untrue that you are losing very much capacity at all.

Disk drive manufacturers use the approved definitions of M/G/T prefixes based on multiples of 1000. Microsoft however use definitions based on multiples of 1024 which means they should be using the Mi/Gi/Ti designations for the units.

1TB as defined by the drive maker is 1,000,000,000,000 bytes.
    1,000,000,000,000 bytes using the 1024 multiple equates to 931.32 GB in Microsoft speak or 931GiB as it should be shown.
  • Options
    Mr DosMr Dos Posts: 3,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We already lose quite a bit of hard drive to the overhead on the file system, eg a 1 TB drive formatted as FAT32 displays as 931 GB capacity in Windows.

Not true - you don't lose anything. This is to do with the different number base systems. Manufacturers use base 10 to describe the capacity of a HDD eg 1GB = 1,000,000,000 bytes, whereas computers use base 2 eg 1GB = 1024MB etc. It's a marketing ploy to make their devices appear bigger, so 1.5TB in the shop is 1.36TB when installed on your computer. Nothing to do with overheads or file systems.

In a similar fashion a 4.7GB DVD will only hold about 4.38GB of data.

edit - you beat me to it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr Dos wrote: »
    Not true - you don't lose anything. This is to do with the different number base systems. Manufacturers use base 10 to describe the capacity of a HDD eg 1GB = 1,000,000,000 bytes, whereas computers use base 2 eg 1GB = 1024MB etc. It's a marketing ploy to make their devices appear bigger, so 1.5TB in the shop is 1.36TB when installed on your computer. Nothing to do with overheads or file systems.

In a similar fashion a 4.7GB DVD will only hold about 4.38GB of data.

edit - you beat me to it.

It's more to do with Microsoft.

I'm using a Macbook at the moment and that is quite happy to use base 10 when giving file or disk sizes. For example according to the Disk Utility

Used Space: 63.13 GB (63,131,435,008 Bytes)

but under Windows it would be

Used Space: 58.8GB (63,131,435,008 Bytes)
  • Options
    TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is good to keep some space to facilitate defragmentation on HDDs and TRIM on SSDs.
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    It's more to do with Microsoft.

I'm using a Macbook at the moment and that is quite happy to use base 10 when giving file or disk sizes. For example according to the Disk Utility

Used Space: 63.13 GB (63,131,435,008 Bytes)

but under Windows it would be

Used Space: 58.8GB (63,131,435,008 Bytes)

Most IT people are used to the 2^X as an indication of storage as its what we're used to, the actual number of zeros and ones remains the same as its a bit like a metric versus imperial debate in that both describe the same thing but they use different numbers to do it.

Not near a mac at the moment but i wonder what if you opened a terminal session up and did a df would it by default show a 10^ or a 2^ result?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    Most IT people are used to the 2^X as an indication of storage as its what we're used to, the actual number of zeros and ones remains the same as its a bit like a metric versus imperial debate in that both describe the same thing but they use different numbers to do it.

Not near a mac at the moment but i wonder what if you opened a terminal session up and did a df would it by default show a 10^ or a 2^ result?

Just tried df on my Macbook.

It listed everything in bytes. :)
  • Options
    Mr DosMr Dos Posts: 3,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    @chrisjr - that's a really interesting fact re Mac's and a billion bytes. I have a (never used) OSX in VMware, so I did a side-by-side test Mac vs Win and what you said about file sizes is correct - screenshot

http://s11.postimg.org/6lg57tvgj/filesize.jpg

I guess a 29.76GB iPad don't sound as sexy as a 32GB device. I also guess that finding this interesting shows what a geek I am . . .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr Dos wrote: »
    @chrisjr - that's a really interesting fact re Mac's and a billion bytes. I have a (never used) OSX in VMware, so I did a side-by-side test Mac vs Win and what you said about file sizes is correct - screenshot

http://s11.postimg.org/6lg57tvgj/filesize.jpg

I guess a 29.76GB iPad don't sound as sexy as a 32GB device. I also guess that finding this interesting shows what a geek I am . . .

Ah well you see that's because Apple use the correct unit prefixes. If Microsoft could actually use the Mi and Gi prefixes there wouldn't be this confusion as it indicates they are not the same as M or G and based on a different numbering system.

http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/prefixes.html
    http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/binary.html
  • Options
    oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We all know for performance reasons, it is not a good idea to fully fill a disk, but three years or so back, we were talking about 100 GB disk as having loads of capacity, and we definitely could not conceive filling 1 TB disk.

However an alternative version of the apochryphal Moore's Law seems to apply i.e. ability to fill a disk capacity doubles every year. On this basis, if you only have 10% available, it will not last long before you need to upgrade anyway.

As a historical note - my first hard disk (mid 70s) had a huge capacity of 20 MB! Compared with 5.25 inch floppy disks (160 kb), this seemed awesome at the time - equivalent to 128 floppy disks (back in days when 1 MB really meant 1024 KB etc).

Over 30 years, this means the actual average increase in capacity has been 43.5% per annum approximately. So if you could get that 43.5% as compound interest on cash, and had invested £20, it would now be worth over million pounds!
  • Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Our Maths Teacher (Computer Studies too) brought a removable IBM caddy/platter set in to show us in 1978. God knows why he had it, but unusually (for that time) his First Degree was indeed Computer Science.

He set up the Department, within the Maths Department, in our school and we started with 2 x RM-380Z machines, one of which had an 8" Floppy drive and the other a cassette player.
    I think he said they were £3,000 each.

Gallery

Gallery2
  • Options
    TrueCardTrueCard Posts: 680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes it is advised so that large files have room to be stored contiguously for speedy access and the defragmenter has space to work with.
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oilman wrote: »
    We all know for performance reasons, it is not a good idea to fully fill a disk, but three years or so back, we were talking about 100 GB disk as having loads of capacity, and we definitely could not conceive filling 1 TB disk.

However an alternative version of the apochryphal Moore's Law seems to apply i.e. ability to fill a disk capacity doubles every year. On this basis, if you only have 10% available, it will not last long before you need to upgrade anyway.

As a historical note - my first hard disk (mid 70s) had a huge capacity of 20 MB! Compared with 5.25 inch floppy disks (160 kb), this seemed awesome at the time - equivalent to 128 floppy disks (back in days when 1 MB really meant 1024 KB etc).

Over 30 years, this means the actual average increase in capacity has been 43.5% per annum approximately. So if you could get that 43.5% as compound interest on cash, and had invested £20, it would now be worth over million pounds!

Think you're a decade out ;) as a 20mb drive in the 70's would of seriously cost
  • Options
    oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    Think you're a decade out ;) as a 20mb drive in the 70's would of seriously cost

Yeah I meant 80s