Why is it some missing people get more media coverage than others?

Comments

• Tweacle Tart IITweacle Tart II Posts: 5,079
    Forum Member
    Fanielle wrote: »
    People taking issue with things that are in the public are a bit absurd. For example, getting upset that people have "hunted" down her dads facebook page, when in actual fact it was him who chose to make his posts public in the hope it would help her be found.

The facebook post which seems to confirm Beckys relationship to the two arrested was a bit out of order though as the poster had made it "friends only" and one of those friends had screen shotted it and passed it on. That's invasion. But on the other hand, it has stopped other areas of gossip.

i get interested in these sort of things and yes I will look things up and discuss them. I don't think that makes me a bad person though.

Probably just a nosey bitch like me! 🙈😂😂
  • ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Madamfluff wrote: »
    Its this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missing_white_woman_syndrome

I remember in the 90s a case of a school girl raped and murdered on school trip to France it got tremendous news coverage, at the same time a downs syndrome girl went missing and there was hardly any coverage

Thanks for posting the link. I spent ages reading the wiki entry on Natalee Holloway. Seems obvious the van set Sloot guy was heavily involved especially since he went on to murder again. Kind of like OJ Simpson getting convicted of another crime that made him pay for his alleged first.
  • EvieJEvieJ Posts: 6,024
    Forum Member
    Tylersnan wrote: »
    I Agee, the whole thread was very well behaved. No mention of names or accusations!

I disagree, there were accusations. Ironically directed at posters :D
  • ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    Semierotic wrote: »
    The only time I checked in on the thread happened to be when a couple of people mentioned finding the Dad suspicious in a press conference. Hopefully that wasn't indicative of general proceedings.

Not at all. Quite the contrary in fact.
  • FanielleFanielle Posts: 1,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably just a nosey bitch like me! 🙈😂😂

Hahahaha 😂 brilliant!
    Forum Member
    Now Becky's step brother has been charged with her murder. His girlfriend has been charged with attempting to pervert the course of justice.

So it's probably for the best that the thread was pulled.
  • What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Age, gender, race, how photogenic, family circumstance and influence (wealth and class) are all factors
  • AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    I think she was found dead tried to google but couldn't find it. I remember a pic of her standing on a cliff path but that's all

Surely then this suggests it's not so much age race, photogenicnesss ( Not a word, I know), but the fact that foul play probably wasn't suspected.
    Forum Member
    Age, gender, race, how photogenic, family circumstance and influence (wealth and class) are all factors

16 year old black male. Missing since friday. Just hit local news.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/concern-grows-missing-newcastle-teenager-8768721

Middle aged white woman, missing since friday
    http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/search-missing-blyth-woman-jacqueline-8769616
  • .Lauren..Lauren. Posts: 7,864
    Forum Member

This basically. There will always be exceptions to the rule obviously.

I remember leaving an airport in Greece not long after Madeleine McCann went missing and there was a 'Missing Children' board up inside. There was a big A3 sized poster of her and it was surrounded by A5 sized posters of about 20 other missing kids. I thought that seemed terribly unfair and sad for those other families. Not that a poster means much in the grand scheme of thins but you get what I mean.
  • LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Semierotic wrote: »
    The only time I checked in on the thread happened to be when a couple of people mentioned finding the Dad suspicious in a press conference. Hopefully that wasn't indicative of general proceedings.

Those of us who thought something was a bit "off" have been proved right though, as it seems likely that the family had a pretty good idea who was responsible all along. It's clear now why the Dad was under such incredible strain, because he couldn't say anything.
    Forum Member
    Those of us who thought something was a bit "off" have been proved right though, as it seems likely that the family had a pretty good idea who was responsible all along. It's clear now why the Dad was under such incredible strain, because he couldn't say anything.

I'm really not sure how you managed to come to that conclusion at all. You honestly think he would have put his stepson's interests before his own daughter's safety?

What you saw was a man who is living every parent's worse nightmare.

It's posts like yours that get threads closed.
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tylersnan wrote: »
    I Agee, the whole thread was very well behaved. No mention of names or accusations!

Well, there was one accusation levelled against someone connected to an entirely different case which we don't talk about... that's probably a triple word score or something...
  • LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Electra wrote: »
    I'm really not sure how you managed to come to that conclusion at all. You honestly think he would have put his stepson's interests before his own daughter's safety?

What you saw was a man who is living every parent's worse nightmare.

It's posts like yours that get threads closed.

You have completely misunderstood me.

Obviously he couldn't say what he suspected for the same reason that the police weren't giving details about who was in the house etc. It all had to be kept under wraps while the investigation proceeded. But he still had to go through the ordeal of doing press conferences and appeals.

I would say his situation was worse than most parents' worst nightmare. Bad enough when the killer is a stranger, but for it to be your beloved wife's son .... And that poor woman, crippled with ill-health and now this. Dreadful.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds a bit mean but if a nice girl from a nice family from a nice part of Bristol does go missing, I think I do feel a greater affinity towards her than if a yobbo goes missing from a dingy part of London who has known associations with gangs.

I know they're both human but if it seems that a girl has gone missing and it is a totally random event, the injustice gets to me.
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Sounds a bit mean but if a nice girl from a nice family from a nice part of Bristol does go missing, I think I do feel a greater affinity towards her than if a yobbo goes missing from a dingy part of London who has known associations with gangs.

I know they're both human but if it seems that a girl has gone missing and it is a totally random event, the injustice gets to me.

St. George isn't that nice a part of Bristol! :o

Vincent Tabak and Shrien Dewani - now they were from nice parts of Bristol!
  • egghead1egghead1 Posts: 4,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder how much the girlfriend knew? If she was hiding the chopping up of a 16yr old girl thats just as bad as doing it herself iMO.
  • GloriaSnockersGloriaSnockers Posts: 2,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are always going to be exceptions, but when it's announced that a body has been discovered and foul play has been a factor, it usually involves a high profile search or the sudden death of an unfortunate victim who wasn't a missing person anyway. It's rare that a murder victim turns out to be a missing person who wasn't given much media coverage. When you think of the thousands of people who do go missing each year, this kind of suggests that police know what they're doing when they decide that it's necessary to make high profile public appeals.

As to the idea that missing people from 'nice' families and 'nice' areas get more coverage, it could be that people living under less fortunate circumstances have many good reasons to need to get away from them, while people like Becky have no obvious reason to want to.

The press aren't driven by these things, though. They're driven by what happens after they print the information given to them by the police. If it results in an increase in sales, more eyeballs on the relevant page on their websites or news circulating in cyberspace that internet users are interested enough to speculate on the story, they'll print more. And it's not because they care more about these 'nice' people, it's because their stats are telling them fairly early on that their readers do and they want to be first to go to press with the most eye-catching headline.

Hence Bristol Evil Post's headine passing judgement on Becky's dad's 'bizarre' Facebook message rather than simply reporting what he'd said.

And no, St George isn't one of Bristol's 'nice' areas. I lived there in the eighties and loved it, but even then I would have had reservations about bringing kids up there. There are still much worse places in the city, but St George certainly hasn't improved any as far as I can see :)
    Forum Member
    egghead1 wrote: »
    I wonder how much the girlfriend knew? If she was hiding the chopping up of a 16yr old girl thats just as bad as doing it herself iMO.

Really? I'd say doing it is far worse.
  • benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    egghead1 wrote: »

Sometimes when you know nothing at all it's wise to keep it buttoned.,.

Sometimes when it's subjudice it's even wiser. ;-)
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .............. Bad enough when the killer is a stranger, but for it to be your beloved wife's son ................

I must have missed the trial - was it reported in the papers?
  • egghead1egghead1 Posts: 4,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    I must have missed the trial - was it reported in the papers?

Sarcasm is all well and good but considering what we KNOW,I think its a guarantee the guilt in this case.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a rather large thread going on on websleuths, may be best to read that than post here. I don't think all the other 5 are complicate at all, I think they've all just been horribly caught up in it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I wholeheartedly agree. It would explain so much of the "offness" if they had an idea of what could've gone on but werent allowed to say anything until those responsible had tripped themselves up
  • Matt_MaherMatt_Maher Posts: 1,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you want to buy a newspaper that's 100,000 pages long every day, then you'd be able to read daily on SOME of the current missing persons cases.
    Most people have other things to be getting on with day to day. The attention span is low. The media know that people want missing persons cases to be done and dusted within a 3 week period otherwise the interest is lost.

When it comes to missing people (who nobody deeply cares about other than loved ones) then the media have to pick and choose, they have to pick which ones they think the general public will be most interested in.
    It really isn't a hard concept to understand and it's idiotic to start saying "well they reported on that case but not this one".

If it's a missing child then it'll go to the top of the list. If a sexual aspect is added to that then *ping* it's right at the top of the list because that will cause double outrage.