Options

Series 9

LordofGallifreyLordofGallifrey Posts: 149
Forum Member
So the BBC have announced that the 9th series will run uninterrupted in 2015 as per the 8th series this year, however the statement only makes reference to Capaldi starring in the 8th series.

A friend who works in at the BBC in Cardiff told me that Capaldi would only sign up for one series so maybe the Doc could be changing sooner that expected!

Comments

• Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It isn't unusual to have a one year contract. It can be renewed accordingly.
  • Options
    ShoppyShoppy Posts: 1,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Series 9 might be the first with a new showrunner so it will be left between them and Capaldi to decide whether he's staying or not :)
  • Options
    doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,339
    Forum Member
    Shoppy wrote: »
    I think Series 9 might be the first with a new showrunner so it will be left between them and Capaldi to decide whether he's staying or not :)
    I thought that series 9 would have a new showrunner but not sure now as the whole announcement about series 8 & 9 was a quote from moffat, who surely if he wasn't involved in series 9 would not be able to say anything for definite about it. As for capaldi he already seems a fit for the role so only having him for one series seems like it would be a shame
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought that series 9 would have a new showrunner but not sure now as the whole announcement about series 8 & 9 was a quote from moffat, who surely if he wasn't involved in series 9 would not be able to say anything for definite about it. As for capaldi he already seems a fit for the role so only having him for one series seems like it would be a shame

I dunno, if you look at the quote...

“We’re not going to do splits, and the same format will repeat exactly the following year like that. So it will be the traditional form.”

...it could be taken that this will be Moff's last full series...

We’re not going to do splits...

...and the same format will repeat exactly the following year like that.”

???
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I dunno, if you look at the quote...

“We’re not going to do splits, and the same format will repeat exactly the following year like that. So it will be the traditional form.”

...it could be taken that this will be Moff's last full series...

We’re not going to do splits...

...and the same format will repeat exactly the following year like that.”

???
    could be either, I just took it as sounding like he was in the know. if he'd said 'presumably the format will repeat' then it would have sounded like he was leaving
  • Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mystic Mike Mode;

Series 9 will have a new showrunner.

After great success with Series 8, Capaldi happily continues his tenure in his dream job with a new companian after Jenna's tearjearking farewell.

It's all supposition, but if Capaldi only does one series I'll eat my Fez!

(The very fact that it was never in doubt that the show would be recommisioned is rather cool. As someone who went through half of the 80's wondering "Is this the end?" and thought Season 26 probably was, that still makes me :) )
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

After great success with Series 8, Capaldi happily continues his tenure in his dream job with a new companian after Jenna's tearjearking farewell.

Yeah this ...

S8 - Moffat / Capaldi
    S9 - New Showrunner / Capaldi
    S10 - New Showrunner / New Doctor

:)

EDIT: So I've got until 2016 to wait for a Toby Whithouse / Damien Moloney series then :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mystic Mike Mode;

)
    would be great if this turn's out to be correct, but there have been a lot of letdowns in the last few year's so i'll reserve getting to enthusiatic about a long capaldi run with new showrunner until it is confirmed reality
  • Options
    DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah this ...

S8 - Moffat / Capaldi
    S9 - New Showrunner / Capaldi
    S10 - New Showrunner / New Doctor

:)

EDIT: So I've got until 2016 to wait for a Toby Whithouse / Damien Moloney series then :cool:

How do we know Capaldi wont go on and do series 10? or for that matter series 11?
    Just because Tennant and Smith only did 3 series and 4 years, it doesnt mean Capaldi will do the same!
    Also if Capaldi does 4 Years and we get 4 whole series in that time, then that would mean things are different anyway?
    Who knows what will happen in 2, 3, 4 or more years down the line?
  • Options
    Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Plenty of hours of fun for everyone who wants to read nothing into everything Moff says:

http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/s/steven_moffat.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lotrjw wrote: »
    How do we know Capaldi wont go on and do series 10? or for that matter series 11?
    Just because Tennant and Smith only did 3 series and 4 years, it doesnt mean Capaldi will do the same!
    Also if Capaldi does 4 Years and we get 4 whole series in that time, then that would mean things are different anyway?
    Who knows what will happen in 2, 3, 4 or more years down the line?

I think whoever takes over will have a direction in mind which may begin with a second series for Capaldi if it's what they both want to do but I don't see him as going on for 4 years...

...in fact I don't think I want to see anyone in the role for 4 full series...

I think the way to approach it is that every kid should get to have "their" Doctor plus a glimpse of his predecessor and successor.

IMO the downfall of the classic series was that the idea of regeneration was absent from the minds of the younger end of the audience when Tom eventually left, and that made his 7 years difficult to follow.

I was lucky, I was born in '77 and got 3 regenerations, 3 Doctors (5,6,7), and 2 multi-Doctor stories between the ages of 4 and 12...
    ...if I'd been 8 years older I'd have got 2 regenerations and seven seasons of the same Doctor :(
  • Options
    thorrthorr Posts: 2,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who's to say there that the ratings fall and the show gets cancelled?
  • Options
    be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thorr wrote: »
    Who's to say there that the ratings fall and the show gets cancelled?
    Well, doesn't the commission mean that the money has now been allocated for at least two more series? If the Series 8 ratings do plummet suddenly, then Series 9 would probably go ahead in a graveyard slot.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well, doesn't the commission mean that the money has now been allocated for at least two more series? If the Series 8 ratings do plummet suddenly, then Series 9 would probably go ahead in a graveyard slot.
    sound's good, as that mean's that even if moffat completely messes up this series (which obviously i hope he dosen't, just saying if he does) then as long as he leave's after it then there's a guaranteed chance for someone new to get it back to it's best. even if series 8 is fab and moffat leaves, it still mean's a chance for a different, fresh style
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sound's good, as that mean's that even if moffat completely messes up this series (which obviously i hope he dosen't, just saying if he does) then as long as he leave's after it then there's a guaranteed chance for someone new to get it back to it's best. even if series 8 is fab and moffat leaves, it still mean's a chance for a different, fresh style

You mean if Moffat is good or bad, he knows he still has to rap up at the end of series 8, ready for whoever takes over?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think whoever takes over will have a direction in mind which may begin with a second series for Capaldi if it's what they both want to do but I don't see him as going on for 4 years...

...in fact I don't think I want to see anyone in the role for 4 full series...

I think the way to approach it is that every kid should get to have "their" Doctor plus a glimpse of his predecessor and successor.

IMO the downfall of the classic series was that the idea of regeneration was absent from the minds of the younger end of the audience when Tom eventually left, and that made his 7 years difficult to follow.

I was lucky, I was born in '77 and got 3 regenerations, 3 Doctors (5,6,7), and 2 multi-Doctor stories between the ages of 4 and 12...
    ...if I'd been 8 years older I'd have got 2 regenerations and seven seasons of the same Doctor :(

Smith and Tennant have both been the Doctor for 4 years each though, even though it was only 3 series!
    So going by the time both Smith and Tennant were the Doctor and from what your saying about Doctors not going on too long, we could have Capaldi last 4 years (like Smith and Tennant), but get 4 full series if they keep up with them, instead of faffing around in Capaldi's last year like Smith and Tennant!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You mean if Moffat is good or bad, he knows he still has to rap up at the end of series 8, ready for whoever takes over?
    I actually just meant that no matter what happen's in series 8, someone else will definitely get their shot, but actually that's a good point, no more stupid multi series arc's from moffat if he knows he's on his last. phew. that's cheered me up and gives me an extra boost of hope for the storyline quality in series 8
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I actually just meant that no matter what happen's in series 8, someone else will definitely get their shot, but actually that's a good point, no more stupid multi series arc's from moffat if he knows he's on his last. phew. that's cheered me up and gives me an extra boost of hope for the storyline quality in series 8

Yes as he has wrapped up all previous multi series arcs, there now cant be any more, unless another show runner decides to do it!
  • Options
    inspector drakeinspector drake Posts: 910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes as he has wrapped up all previous multi series arcs, there now cant be any more, unless another show runner decides to do it!
    Most, not all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most, not all.

Well Moffat better clear up anything, he didnt do in 'Time of...', in series 8, or the next showrunner will be left with unresolved stuff!
  • Options
    inspector drakeinspector drake Posts: 910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well Moffat better clear up anything, he didnt do in 'Time of...', in series 8, or the next showrunner will be left with unresolved stuff!
    Chances are anything left will be resolved in Series 8. I hope S8 is not too arc-heavy though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 260
    Forum Member
    Well Moffat better clear up, anything he didnt do in 'Time of...', in series 8, or the next showrunner will be left with unresolved stuff!

Why has everyone decided that Moffat's going to leave after next series just because its the same amount of time RTD was in charge? Its not a presidency, he can stay as long as he wants (or at least until he gets fired) so he could be here for another 10 years yet! And in my opinion, he's only just started moving the show in the right direction this last year, I couldn't stand his first two series as showrunner!
  • Options
    saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I fail to see what's left to clear up from Elevens era that really needs it. Its done. Its finished. Move on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think it's just good to know that IF series 8 is his last, he won't dig himself in any deeper by starting anything new (unless it can be resolved within the series)
  • Options
    be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But the fact you don't cite anything unresolved suggests that nothing major springs immediately to your mind.