Options

Doctor Who: Deep Breath. BBC1. 23/08/2014 19:50. Official Thread

Comments

• Options
    David MillsDavid Mills Posts: 742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes they kept repeating that the were 'married' four times I believe, isn't saying it once enough?

Ps I'm fine with gay scenes in scifi but dr who has been overusing it imo.

Yes it is your opinion.

Because to a gay person, that is their life style being represented on the screen and to them it is completely normal to see that many references - but I suppose a solution is to ignore gay people who watch, buy, write and equally support the show just as much as anyone else...because their very existence should be 2nd to heterosexual people for the good valid reason of...oh what what valid reason is there except prejudice of people who are different.

Prejudice in a show about a time traveler and regularly features aliens. Sounds like the type of show I would switch off immediately if that were the pathetic case.
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've changed my mind - 12's theme may come out of "rubbish robots from the dawn of time" onwards.
  • Options
    HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I overall enjoyed that episode. It wasn't perfect and I'd say there were a few pacing or editing issues. For instance, I did feel like the Doctor vanished from the story too much after he dove into the Thames. It wasn't a major thing, but considering it was Capaldi's first episode, I thought he was absent too much in parts. Like I said, more of an editing issue than anything else.

Jenna was fantastic here, though. I've always liked Clara, but mostly she's been quite an empty vessel when it comes to character depth. I loved the way she lost it with Vastra for judging her character. Also, the whole sequence after the Doctor abandoned her was sublime, if only for her acting. Next-to-no dialogue, just the look on her face and it said so much. I think she's proving herself to be a far better actor than I'd previously given her credit for.

I also feel a need to address an ongoing point about Clara's reaction to the regeneration being unrealistic, due to her "knowing" all the previous Doctors. I disagree entirely and all you need to do is watch "Day of the Doctor" to understand. First off, Clara makes it clear that she only partly remembers her experiences with the other Doctors. This is stated when 11 tells her that she is familiar with the War Doctor. She only kinda remembers him. Then there's the scene towards the end when 11 is going to assist in using the Moment to destroy Gallifrey. Clara says how he'd told her all about how he killed his people, but she never really imagined "him" doing it. Despite her knowledge and experiences, she still sees 11 as if he is a different person to the other Doctors. Heck, she even begs him not to change at the end of "Time of the Doctor." She might understand that regeneration occurs, but she clearly doesn't get it. This episode plays entirely into what we had seen before. Not only do I not think it is a problem, but I think it is entirely consistent with what we have learned about Clara so far.

Now the big one. Peter Capaldi. Well, I always knew he would be great. He's too good an actor to not be great. I thought he was flawless throughout and even though I am a big Matt Smith fan, I do feel the show is in solid hands. I look forward to seeing more of his Doctor. There's not a lot else to say, really. I thought he hit all the notes perfectly. Mad, creepy, scary, funny, charming, tough. Loved him.

Yes, the overall story was not one of the strongest, but it was serviceable and was pulled up above average by some great performances, especially from Capaldi and Coleman. There was enough of a tonal shift from the Smith era to help feel like we are moving in a different direction. I voted "good," because the story was average, but the characterisation and acting pushed it up above that. Not as good as "The Eleventh Hour," for me, but better than "New Earth," (what I consider 10's first proper episode) and kinda on-par with "Rose."

PS. I'm glad we got some lesbian interspecies make-out. Not because I'm that way inclined, but just because I loved to see the squirming that comes out of some people. Its the GAY AGENDA all over again! :P
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes they kept repeating that the were 'married' four times I believe, isn't saying it once enough?

Ps I'm fine with gay scenes in scifi but dr who has been overusing it imo.

If you were that fine with same sex scenes you wouldn`t be complaining about tonight`s scene in the first place.

Doctor who has not been overusing gay scene, same sex lovers exist in real life nobody needs shielding from that fact in 2014 children or adults regardless, only a minority of homophobes and Daily Mail readers would bother complaining about tonight`s scene.

There is nothing PC about same sex relationships being on TV they exist.
  • Options
    sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    had me welling up with his "See me" line. .

Didn't Clara look at The Doctor from the distance for a while, then she saw him properly as only a companion can, maybe listening to his voice, then they had a hug. It might have seemed so long for Clara but to The Doctor, possibly just, seemed like yesterday.
  • Options
    adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clackers wrote: »
    Appalling episode, worst since Tell Her.

MOFFAT OUT!

And I will give Capaldi a few more episodes, but I always knew he would be bad.

It's fascinating, and rather depressing, reading through this thread - nearly all the comments made while the episode was still on were the sort of rude and dismissive comments quoted above (incidentally, Clackers, I think you must be referring to another programme altogether as there has never been an episode called Tell Her.)

Why did these people bother to watch the episode? They had clearly already decided that it would be crap - do they have to make multiple negative posts just to justify their clearly silly decision to watch something that they'd already decided would be crap? To my mind it makes these posters look even more foolish than nature had intended.

If I don't think I will like a TV programme I don't watch it. Seems sensible to me. Might I suggest that those who hated it so much don't bother next week? Spewing so much bile and negativity across the internet surely can't be good for you?

Far more balanced and better reasoned comments followed the conclusion of the episode - surely comments, both positive and negative, can be far better formulated when one has concentrated and watched the episode to its end. Just a thought.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about if a heterosexual pair of guest characters kissed and added nothing to the plot?

You just don't see that in Dr Who though do you?

I find the shoe-horned in sexuality bizarre in a show that's supposed to be a family show. Although clearly it isn't any more.

This series is going to crash and burn, I can feel it.
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Yes it is your opinion.

Because to a gay person, that is their life style being represented on the screen and to them it is completely normal to see that many references - but I suppose a solution is to ignore gay people who watch, buy, write and equally support the show just as much as anyone else...because their very existence should be 2nd to heterosexual people for the good valid reason of...oh what what valid reason is there except prejudice of people who are different.

Prejudice in a show about a time traveler and regularly features aliens. Sounds like the type of show I would switch off immediately if that were the pathetic case.

No, no, no, no, no. You wouldn't get a straight couple referring to their marriage in every single scene they were in, especially if the scene actually had nothing whatsoever to do with their marriage. The inclusion of gay relationships in mainstream TV should really be done in a way directly comparable with straight relationships. It really is risible stuff, almost as bad as Moffat's 'hoots un toots och aye ahoy!' drivel about being Scottish. Yeah, we know Moffat. Get over it.
  • Options
    Irma BuntIrma Bunt Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not at all as the Seventh was excellent and is my favourite
    Stories were always brilliant and Ace

As a fan since Troughton's days, I loathed the McCoy era and found it an unwatchable abomination. McCoy gurned his way through everything; Ace was terrible; and the writing and production values were am-dram. It's all subjective, of course...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tassium wrote: »

I find the shoe-horned in sexuality bizarre in a show that's supposed to be a family show. Although clearly it isn't any more.

I agree. I have no issue whatsoever with having gay themes in any mainstream show that would also include heterosexual theme. But if they feel 'shoe-horned in', as they do so often with 'Doctor Who', then it just tends to stand out like a sore thumb.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes it is your opinion.

You need to look at it from a filmmaking point of view. In that way Moffat overdoes it. Purely from a writing perspective referencing their marriage as many times as they do especially with the on-the-nose dialogue ruins it. I'm NOT saying god they overdid it in a way that is offensive but from that it is poor poor writing. The acting from the performers of Vastra and Jenny show they are in a relationship as well as the kiss. We didn't need the characters to tell us they were together every scene they were in!

Same with Capaldi constantly saying he was familiar with what the droids were doing. Say it once. Let the actions show the rest.
  • Options
    scott26985scott26985 Posts: 1,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved it. Felt like a change in tone / reboot. A bit like the way Matt's first episode had a very different tone.
  • Options
    hughj99hughj99 Posts: 400
    Forum Member
    "I used to moan at this complaint but I'm watching episodes asking myself just what the **** the story is. You're given The Doctor, Clara and a bad guy. That's it and that's just jumbled into scenes. I'm all for manic episodes and quick pace but don't just have characters skip from scene to scene without a solid plot tying it together. But then I'm sure the excuse "well this is just an intorduction" that can't excuse just crazy writing.

And also the one main issue I have now is that much like the RTD era (and what most praised Moffat for originally) is that it has lost that sense of intimacy in his episodes. The last 4 episodes (Capaldi and the last 3 Smith) all go for the epic factor. Throw every storyline, reference and familiar character you can at the screen. When in reality Doctor Who has always excelled, in particular Moffat, at creating smaller stories with bigger ideas. Look at Blink, Human Nature, Big Bang, Midnight, Vincent and TD, Silence in the Library quite small scale episodes with BIG things happening. Even Big Bang is very understated.

I'd rather Moffat had the simple story of droids harvesting people with Capaldi and Clara investigating. There was absolutely no need for the dinasour. It's not like if the dinosaur wasn't there or mentioned we'd all be saying "that episode needed a dinosaur". It's there cause Moffat thought "what's the most ridiculous thing I can do" when it didn't need it. Have the big effects because of story not because it would be fun. I'm gonna get slammed for this but it's not even like the effects were good. Why stretch the budget on a ******* dino?"

I absolutely agree, I like Peter Capaldi. But the writing was all over the place and it was too long. I can only hope that at some point, there will be a episode that is as good as 'Blink' or 'Girl in The Fireplace'
  • Options
    oathyoathy Posts: 32,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was disappointed with the Doctor's first line...an unconvincing "Shush"..., but Peter totally won me over in the alley scene with the tramp and had me welling up with his "See me" line. Oh and loved him breaking the fourth wall to give us the "did he jump or did I push him?" look. Fabulous.

I was gutted that Matt decided to leave but he has left the role in a safe pair of hands. Everything is going to be OK.

My only niggle, and it's probably because I watched on the computer (some footie game on the TV), is that the colour of the TARDIS appeared a little too light and Strax too dark. Small stuff.

not so sure.
    not for one moment will the BBC axe Dr who or mass sackings. I think Moffat needs to ask himself how that utterly sublime dialogue between Clara and Vastra (when she got angry) could be interlaced with "we are married" three times. that overthinking is back and that harmed the last two series under MS. The sub story really was my problem setting out the direction and boundaries between Clara and the doctor just perfect.

in the restaurant scene I saw a lot of the CE outlook on a bad situation which I utterly loved.
  • Options
    LordofGallifreyLordofGallifrey Posts: 149
    Forum Member
    Why do people have such an issue with a Lizzard woman from the dawn of time being married to a hot human female, personally if I were in her shoes I would do the same.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You need to look at it from a filmmaking point of view. In that way Moffat overdoes it. Purely from a writing perspective referencing their marriage as many times as they do especially with the on-the-nose dialogue ruins it. I'm NOT saying god they overdid it in a way that is offensive but from that it is poor poor writing. The acting from the performers of Vastra and Jenny show they are in a relationship as well as the kiss. We didn't need the characters to tell us they were together every scene they were in!

Same with Capaldi constantly saying he was familiar with what the droids were doing. Say it once. Let the actions show the rest.

Yes, this is so, so true. It should be incidental, told through the acting. The fact they're in a relationship had nothing to do with the storyline at all so why did they feel the need to keep telling the audience? It's just bizarre. No, it wasn't remotely offensive. I just found it grating and irritating.
  • Options
    BadcatBadcat Posts: 3,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So a married couple are not allowed to be shown on a family show? :confused:

I don't think it will crash and burn IMO. It may lose some of the audience who watched it because they fancied Matt Smith/ Tennant but I think they will gain a wider and mature audience this time round, possibly drawing in some who were put off by the Doctor getting younger and younger with each regen.

Also the very younger audiences who started watching when it was rebooted are getting older and so will enjoy it more as they grow with the show, just as I did. It's not always about the actor, but "The Doctor".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    oathy wrote: »
    not so sure.
    not for one moment will the BBC axe Dr who or mass sackings. I think Moffat needs to ask himself how that utterly sublime dialogue between Clara and Vastra (when she got angry) could be interlaced with "we are married" three times. that overthinking is back and that harmed the last two series under MS. The sub story really was my problem setting out the direction and boundaries between Clara and the doctor just perfect.

in the restaurant scene I saw a lot of the CE outlook on a bad situation which I utterly loved.

Oh yes, that was another terrific scene (apart from the marriage nonsense). I fear the scenes I liked the best: the Clara/Vastra scene, the restaurant scene, the Clara/bot scene, would never have made it into a 45-minute episode and yet they were the highlights for me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 100
    Forum Member
    Very intrigued by Peter, not too keen on Matt's cameo & the paradise story-arc. I feel i have to watch it again now just to catch all the dialogue, some great lines in there - I also just made this quick 2mins review if anyone's interested

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aF8pz_8iDEI
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Badcat wrote: »
    So a married couple are not allowed to be shown on a family show? :confused:

I don't think it will crash and burn IMO. It may lose some of the audience who watched it because they fancied Matt Smith/ Tennant but I think they will gain a wider and mature audience this time round, possibly drawing in some who were put off by the Doctor getting younger and younger with each regen.

Also the very younger audiences who started watching when it was rebooted are getting older and so will enjoy it more as they grow with the show, just as I did. It's not always about the actor, but "The Doctor".

Oh please, no-one has said that. You're not even trying to see it from other people's perspective.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 262
    Forum Member
    Sadly I personally found it quite dull. This was not because it was overly complicated, or even at all complicated. A superior intellect was not required - it was an episode of Doctor Who, not a lecture on theoretical physics. It's simply that (imo) the plot took too long to get started and the contents of the first half hour weren't interesting, and didn't ring true. I realise that Tennant's first episode was even worse, which is why I haven't seen it since it was first broadcast.

I did like Eleventh Hour, because Eleven's post regeneration confusion happened while he was on the move. I've heard that this series plans to have longer scenes and more character development, which is a good. However the first half hour of the first episode of a brand new Doctor is perhaps not the best time to start - especially when the Doctor's not even present. Getting him up and running should be the priority.

Capaldi was ok. I agree he was difficult to understand some of the time - not just because of his accent (he was hardly a Scottish Borat) but because his voice was pitched quite low and mumbly unless he raised it. My problem with the episode certainly wasn't with him though.

Eleven's cameo was charming. It was the opposite of Ten (RTD) saying "I don't want to go", almost sabotaging his successor. I'd rolled my eyes throughout as the Impossible Girl reacted so strongly at the Doctor looking so different (and old) even wanting him to turn back. When she took the phonecall I actually empathised with her at last. Maybe the call should have happened early on when Twelve was asleep (rather than watching her anxiously) and cut her angst (and the episode) by 15 minutes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    RoryJohn wrote: »
    Very intrigued by Peter, not too keen on Matt's cameo & the paradise story-arc. I feel i have to watch it again now just to catch all the dialogue, some great lines in there - I also just made this quick 2mins review if anyone's interested

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aF8pz_8iDEI

I agree with you about how Smith's cameo felt like raining on Peter's parade. Totally unnecessary, IMO. Capaldi had just finished his first episode and oops! up pops the last bloke to tell everyone that they'll really like him.

(Cute, btw)
  • Options
    BatmannequinBatmannequin Posts: 489
    Forum Member

Off the top of my head: The married couple in Voyage Of The Damned. Craig and his missus in The Lodger and Closing Time. Kazran and Abigail. Jo and Clifford Jones. Jackie and Pete. Madge and Alexander Armstrong in TDTWATW. The Doctor and Grace. The Doctor and Rose. The Doctor and Martha. The Doctor and River. The Doctor and Amy. Rory and Amy (who mentioned being married every other scene, too). Clara's parents. And that's just the first few I could think of.

Same sex kisses in Doctor Who: The Doctor and Jack (which was a goodbye and not a romatic thing). Possibly the married couple in AGMGTW (can't remember if they kissed or not). Vastra and Jenny (a married couple, with a kiss designed to save Jenny's life rather than being a romantic thing).

But, hey, some people will find anything to get offended about, won't they?

Were people this small minded and "PC Shite Gone MAAAAAAAD!!!!!" when they had black actors in Who back in the day (well, I know Bill Hartnell was, but...)?

EDIT: That's not to say that referencing Vastra & Jenny's marriage so often was good writing - I agree wholeheartedly that a look can do ten times as much as words. I guess Moff was just trying to throw things in for the new viewers brought in by the new era to get them up to speed, and overdid it a bit.
  • Options
    BadcatBadcat Posts: 3,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh please, no-one has said that. You're not even trying to see it from other people's perspective.

But some posters are, because they are in a same sex relationship it seems.

But horses for courses and all that.

I'm still hoping for a Vestra/ Jenny/ Strax spinoff series like they had with the Sarah Jane adventures..just for the pure comedy moments of Strax and their reaction to him :D
  • Options
    claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why do you think? I don't see how it brought anything to the story, just an excuse for the beeb to show it's gay friendly credentials - nonsense imo.

Phew! I am so pleased that our national broadcaster is inclusive as it should be. Of course it's going to make some people uncomfortable but frankly why should we care about them?
    CD93 wrote: »

Thanks for that - I thought I saw it there!