Chelsea Supporters Thread (Part 5)

Comments

• codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with the above post.

We are ticking over nicely now, let's hope we don't ruin it. Clubs in desperate trouble have to spend big on fees and wages.

How much is falco on? We dodged a huge bullet there.
  • The_don1The_don1 Posts: 17,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We are a number of years before we will either move or redevelopment of the Bridge so we just won't have the income to pay out hugh wages plus we should not have to now, our youth set up and our contacts in football we have gained in the Roman years should mean we should still be able to compete. Utd are different they need to as they are rebuilding and have never really needed to spend in the way they need to now due to the excellent way SAF and all the background staff run the club, that's what we need to aspire to now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good to see we have increased the only revenue stream we can control (sponsorship and commercial) and have made a profit this year, another step in the right direction
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The_don1 wrote: »
    We are a number of years before we will either move or redevelopment of the Bridge so we just won't have the income to pay out hugh wages plus we should not have to now, our youth set up and our contacts in football we have gained in the Roman years should mean we should still be able to compete. Utd are different they need to as they are rebuilding and have never really needed to spend in the way they need to now due to the excellent way SAF and all the background staff run the club, that's what we need to aspire to now.

Yes, I also think we need to continue being quite ruthless in making decisions about players, probably more ruthless than I've liked sometimes. We were lucky in getting £50m for Luiz, and Torres should have been shifted out earlier while some of his reputation was still intact. In retrospect, selling Mata was the right decision, even though I didn't think so at the time.
    For example, Moses is on £50k a week, does anyone think he still has a future with us ? We may also have to make a decision about Salah at the end of the season, cost £11m and he's on a salary of £40k a week, is he likely to make the grade ?
    Then some of our other loan players are on £10/15k a week, I'm not sure how much of that is covered by the loan clubs, but it all adds up if they don't either have a future with us, or can't be sold on at a profit.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It astonishes me how other teams with far worse players now have a higher wage bill than us!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    codeblue wrote: »
    It astonishes me how other teams with far worse players now have a higher wage bill than us!

Why?

Chelsea,Utd and City can attract players do to their recent history of winning trophies, the rest have to use other things to attract players, Liverpool and Arsenal have their own attraction but the rest have to attract talent from a small pool so money is the main attraction (and even Liverpool and Arsenal have to use it). Since there are more teams competing for these players and all have similar attractions they have to pay out more
  • JokanovicJokanovic Posts: 12,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Come on, let's be fair. We used to have a ridiculous wage bill.
    FFP has made us put our house in order and whilst we have done it well I don't think we are in a position yet to slag others off.
  • JokanovicJokanovic Posts: 12,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Strange there is no thread about Chelsea's recent financial report.
    You normally get all the so called experts on here spouting nonsense when we made losses but say nowt when profits are reported.
    Let's hope they continue to keep quiet :D
  • carefree_bluecarefree_blue Posts: 9,037
    Forum Member
    Jokanovic wrote: »
    Strange there is no thread about Chelsea's recent financial report.
    You normally get all the so called experts on here spouting nonsense when we made losses but say nowt when profits are reported.
    Let's hope they continue to keep quiet :D

Indeed. A £20m profit, record turnover, complying with FFP and top of the league. Not much they can say. ;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Indeed. A £20m profit, record turnover, complying with FFP and top of the league. Not much they can say. ;-)

Yea but we will get the old "their money comes from a man who tortures squirrels" or some sort nonsense
    Forum Member
    Just been looking at the teams that have qualified for the ACON. Ivory Coast have made it which is good news for us as we play Swansea and City when it's on (no Bony or Toure).

Nigeria and Egypt didn't make it, so we'll still have Mikel and Salah to warm the bench.
  • HeavenlyHeavenly Posts: 31,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Normally dislike International breaks but its been perfect timing for us to get Diego and Cesc fit or fitter............
    Forum Member
    I see that the suggestion of Rafa returning to Liverpool has been mooted in their thread, and quite a few of their fans aren't keen on the idea. Funny that, considering we had to go to such lengths to explain why we weren't keen on having him either.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see that the suggestion of Rafa returning to Liverpool has been mooted in their thread, and quite a few of their fans aren't keen on the idea. Funny that, considering we had to go to such lengths to explain why we weren't keen on having him either.

Be careful what you wish for, when King Kenny came back, more than not, you can't go back.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From Jose's presser today.

Mourinho asked about all the teams interested in Cech. "In which MIckey Mouse website? In which Mickey Mouse blog?"

Mourinho says Chelsea will lose games but not because of complacency from being ahead. "Complacency won't be a problem."

"Next week when we play Schalke first thing we think of is we don't want to go to Europa League."

Mourinho: "Diego has 4 yellow cards. Am I going to protect him for any of the next games? No way."

"Costa is fit. Schurrle too. Fabregas getting back"

Mourinho: "Cech is a fantastic professional. He never knocked on my door to say he accepts a proposal. He has 2 yrs left on his contract."

Mourinho: "I have zero proposals for Petr Cech."
    Forum Member
    Heavenly wrote: »
    Be careful what you wish for, when King Kenny came back, more than not, you can't go back.

Very true. Thankfully Mourinho is proving to be one of those exceptions.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paddy Power are paying out on all Chelsea bets at a cost of £400k.
    They did the same in 2005/6 when we were winners, but came unstuck when they paid out on Arsenal in 2003..Man Utd were eventual winners.
    Anyone got an early Christmas present ?
    Forum Member
    They did the same in 2005/6 when we were winners, but came unstuck when they paid out on Arsenal in 2003..Man Utd were eventual winners.

I've never quite understood why they bother paying out early? Is their thinking supposed to be that if you have the money in your pocket sooner then you'll use it to put more bets on?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never quite understood why they bother paying out early? Is their thinking supposed to be that if you have the money in your pocket sooner then you'll use it to put more bets on?

It gets them a lot of publicity and also increases interest in betting on the PL. With odds of 1/5 or 1/6 there was no market for Chelsea any more from ordinary punters. They could have quoted odds without Chelsea, which I suppose amounts to the same thing. But this earns them a lot of goodwill. As you say, they'll quickly claw it back.
  • NinjyBearNinjyBear Posts: 8,317
    Forum Member
    Courtois; Ivanovic, Cahill, Terry (c), Azpilicueta; Matic, Fabregas; Willian, Oscar, Hazard; D Costa

Cech, Zouma, Filipe Luis, Ramires, Schurrle, Drogba, Remy
    Forum Member
    Good to see that we have a fully fit team after the international break.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It costs them 400k, or nothing if Chelsea win the league

They are gambling the chance of us losing, against all the free publicity and goodwill. It's a very smart business move.

After all, we are talking about them
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    costas goal was fantastic!

Oscar has just had another shot saved from the outside of his boot. Chelsea are playing well, we need a second to start relaxing... it is coming at the moment... let's make sure
  • NinjyBearNinjyBear Posts: 8,317
    Forum Member
    Thank f**k for that - was starting to look like one of *those* matches.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NinjyBear wrote: »
    Thank f**k for that - was starting to look like one of *those* matches.

this is the best we have played this season.

we have all of the ball, all of the pressure.

awful challenge on costa, could have broken his leg! sooooo lucky costa is moving again, two footed jumping lunge if you are not watching the game

WBA deservedly down to ten men