Options

Thinking of switching from Sky - what are people's experiences?

Hampton WickHampton Wick Posts: 704
Forum Member
✭✭
I'm getting pretty hacked off with the ever increasing price of even quite basic TV packages from Sky. I'm currently paying £30 a month just for a bunch of channels, nothing special like sorts or movies.

I already have BT Infinity broadband, and I'm quite tempted by the 10 quid a month service with a PVR and streaming channels.

However, I've heard a lot of bad things about the hardware being erratic and slow to boot etc. How are people finding it, especially former Sky viewers.

Comments

• Options
    heedlessmunkeyheedlessmunkey Posts: 76
    Forum Member
    It is a bit slower than sky, 10 secs on start up. Id say about the same speed as the thomson first sky hd box. I bought the box off ebay and went for the £5 a month option selling the none pvr box. Added sky sports one and I'm all set for the football at the cheapest I'm gonna get it to go alongside streaming.

It's fast enough, you can't blaze through the banner as quickly but that was only good for flicking through all the tripe that you get on sky.

I had now TV and just the free channels on youview that was fine but wanted to record stuff that was never on demand
  • Options
    ds_readerds_reader Posts: 10,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BT Vision closed years ago, and replaced by BT TV on youview.
  • Options
    victorslotvictorslot Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was with sky several years ago and their prices, especially to get sport, went too high. Went to Freesat for main TV and didn't miss Sky at all. Now also have BT TV and BB for the sport, mainly rugby, and not had a problem. The latest Youview box is pretty solid usually though I have had one replacement, had two or three though with Sky.
  • Options
    Jimmy_BarnesJimmy_Barnes Posts: 895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ds_reader wrote: »
    BT Vision closed years ago, and replaced by BT TV on youview.

This is untrue.

The old BT Vision system still exists, though BT are gradually phasing it out in favour of the newer, slicker YouView service.

The BT Vision box continues to remain the only way BT TV subscribers can watch Sky Sports 5.
  • Options
    ds_readerds_reader Posts: 10,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is untrue.

The old BT Vision system still exists, though BT are gradually phasing it out in favour of the newer, slicker YouView service.

The BT Vision box continues to remain the only way BT TV subscribers can watch Sky Sports 5.

Do you understand the concept of context?

The OP is a new subscriber ... BT Vision is CLOSED to new subscribers and what is wrong with informing the OP to consider BT TV!
  • Options
    RagnarokRagnarok Posts: 4,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't switch. i just got it to get BT sport in UHD.

You View is still a young platform, but the BT youview boxes run quite well, it's responsive with hardly any delay in button presses, not like that Huawei trash talk talk hand out.

Humax boxes are renowned for their PSU issues ( like thomson sky Hd boxes) however the latest ones made by humax for BT have external PSU's so problem solved.

If your the AV enthusiast type, the HD quality will disappoint. Sky's HD quality is a fair bit better especially with sport. On demand is streamed rather than downloaded, so be prepared for adverts in your on demand content.

It is alot cheaper. it is a relatively new service thought, BT need time to strike up more deals with the content/ channel providers.
  • Options
    neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For £15 a month you could get all the channels that BT offer apart from Sky Movies and Sky Sports as that's extra cost.
    You will also get the BT G4 Youview + box.
    On eco low mode box and takes 15 or 20 seconds to boot up from standby. You need to have eco mode set to low if you are using the Youview app or the BT Everywhere app on your phone.
    You will not get some of the Sky channels that you get the now but for the price BT offer a good range of channels and us a slowly growing TV service that will given time could become a major rival to Sky
    I have had the BT TV setvice going on 18 months now and in that time I have seen a few minor improvements to the BT TV service as well as Youview.
    I can say I am mostly happy with the BT TV service and Youview and they are making minor improvements to the service every few months.
    Also the full BT Sports package still seems to be free as long as you are a BT TV customer. BT catch up service seems to have also improved a little over the last few months.

Darren
  • Options
    Howard_GilpinHoward_Gilpin Posts: 2,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does the Youview box get you the ROI channels here in N. Ireland? If so can you timer record from them? They are available here with the correct aerial system on Freeview HD equipment.
  • Options
    RagnarokRagnarok Posts: 4,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does the Youview box get you the ROI channels here in N. Ireland? If so can you timer record from them? They are available here with the correct aerial system on Freeview HD equipment.

Technically if you can get reception, the freeview HD box is over and above ireland DTT specification. Expect the channels to be is a really odd spot of the EPG ( 800's and above ) and don't expect full EPG data.
  • Options
    tvmad-alantvmad-alan Posts: 1,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BT like Sky does change prices on parts of it's services but unlike Sky, BT TV youview box will still record even if you no long pay for the BT channels and you can record three channels at the same time if you have good internet speeds as you can record a Freeview channel and two Internet too or other way round.

The box has a roll back epg which is helpful to get some shows you missed.

BT TV box can give you 174 freeview channels and 88 internet channels at this time and that means SD & HD.

Draw backs like with sky you can loose or get blocky image on screen in bad weathers, you can also get the same with the internet channels for a few reasons.
    Box hard drive is not the size of some sky boxes that have 1 TB or 2TB

upside is BT is cheaper then sky and BT TV has two ways of increasing channels Freeview service & BT service.

And remember that if you got a dish on your home from having sky you could buy a Freesat HD Box which gives you free channels too and record too so that number of channels are even better for the price .

So you could record up to 5 channels with BT TV youview box and Freesat/ Freetime box.

This would mean with all the players and recorded shows even on bad TV days you have some great shows to watch.
  • Options
    Howard_GilpinHoward_Gilpin Posts: 2,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ragnarok wrote: »
    Technically if you can get reception, the freeview HD box is over and above ireland DTT specification. Expect the channels to be is a really odd spot of the EPG ( 800's and above ) and don't expect full EPG data.

From my limited knowledge I think ROI channels should be available on a Youview box but there may well be problems timer recording from both Freeview and Saorview systems. I have this problem with a Sony Freeview HD PVR. Since RTE1/2 and TG4 are now on Freeview in large parts of NI the problem of timer recording is somewhat mitigated however there is no HD on the first 2 of these local channels and sport is geo-blocked on RTE2.