Missing Doctor Who episodes...

Comments

• Dalekbuster523Dalekbuster523 Posts: 4,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    adams66 wrote: »
    You do understand what a rumour actually is don't you?
    A rumour concerning the possible existence of Marco Polo is a long, long way from making it 'blatantly obvious' that the BBC have it in their archive.

Considering the rumour was part of the Enemy Of The World/Web Of Fear one, I really don't believe it is a 'long long way' from 'blatantly obvious'. In fact, I think either the BBC or Phil Morris are just holding it back for some reason.
  • grazey1985grazey1985 Posts: 1,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Considering the rumour was part of the Enemy Of The World/Web Of Fear one, I really don't believe it is a 'long long way' from 'blatantly obvious'. In fact, I think either the BBC or Phil Morris are just holding it back for some reason.

The word rumour should make it obvious that it might not actually true. Just because 1 part of the omi rumour turned out to be true doesn't mean the rest will be. There are plenty of times something has been reported as fact and in the end only a fraction of what has been reported is true
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grazey1985 wrote: »
    The word rumour should make it obvious that it might not actually true. Just because 1 part of the omi rumour turned out to be true doesn't mean the rest will be. There are plenty of times something has been reported as fact and in the end only a fraction of what has been reported is true

Two out of three serials in that particular rumour I'm referring to were announced, though.
  • grazey1985grazey1985 Posts: 1,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Two out of three serials in that particular rumour I'm referring to were announced, though.

Which was exactly the point I was making. Just because the rumour was that those 3 stories were found and 2 of those did turn up doesn't mean that rumour about the 3rd story also being found is also true. Like I said just because part of a rumour is true doesn't mean all of it is
  • adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You can believe whatever you like, it still doesn't make it any more likely that Marco Polo is being deliberately held back by the BBC.

You stated that it is "blatantly obvious" that the BBC are holding Marco Polo.
    Wrong.
    There is nothing obvious about this at all.

This rumour - defined as gossip or hearsay, of uncertain and doubtful truth - offers no proof at all, and absolutely no reason to believe that the BBC is bafflingly, and pointlessly, holding back the release of Marco Polo.

You may choose to believe an unproven conspiracy theory, but please don't confuse that with fact and reality.
  • davidnumendavidnumen Posts: 1,233
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I believed for a long time that because MP was part of the rumour along with EOTW and WOF that it had to be true. But slowly I've come to realise that the source of the rumour was probably PM playing mind games with the fans and suddenly I'm less inclined to believe he has it or anything else.
  • OnemilescarfOnemilescarf Posts: 221
    Forum Member
    Everyone needs to take into account that the rumour which correctly predicted Enemy and Web was sort of really drastically wrong about the other 90 or so episodes. So just in a numerical basis - don't get your hopes up :-p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everyone needs to take into account that the rumour which correctly predicted Enemy and Web was sort of really drastically wrong about the other 90 or so episodes. So just in a numerical basis - don't get your hopes up :-p

Actually, the MEW rumour was completely different to the Omnirumour, in that it stated Marco Polo, Enemy Of The World and Web Of Fear had been found as opposed to 90 episodes.
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually, the MEW rumour was completely different to the Omnirumour, in that it stated Marco Polo, Enemy Of The World and Web Of Fear had been found as opposed to 90 episodes.
    Unless you can show how you tracked one rumour from reliable sources, I would say it's much more likely that a lot of stuff got conflated. The faith healer (honestly) guy who spread the most reliable rumours on GallifreyBase, also spread a load of poppycock too.
  • SambdaSambda Posts: 6,185
    Forum Member
    Unless you can show how you tracked one rumour from reliable sources, I would say it's much more likely that a lot of stuff got conflated. The faith healer (honestly) guy who spread the most reliable rumours on GallifreyBase, also spread a load of poppycock too.

There was a guy called Puqri and another called Scott Frere. Both of them spout nothing but hot air. They know nothing more than the rest of us.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Riiight. Was it really?
    Can you explain how you know that one rumour (based on hearsay and stories) about the existence of Marco Polo was "completely different" from another rumour (based on the same stories and hearsay)? Do you have evidence to prove how "completely different" these made up stories actually were from each other?
    Unless you actually started one rumour from scratch, or have proof of the existence of Marco Polo, then you are simply talking out of your backside.
    Again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    adams66 wrote: »
    Riiight. Was it really?
    Can you explain how you know that one rumour (based on hearsay and stories) about the existence of Marco Polo was "completely different" from another rumour (based on the same stories and hearsay)? Do you have evidence to prove how "completely different" these made up stories actually were from each other?
    Unless you actually started one rumour from scratch, or have proof of the existence of Marco Polo, then you are simply talking out of your backside.
    Again.

The MEW rumour was that three stories had been found, not 90 like the Omnirumour. That's why it was called MEW.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The MEW rumour was that three stories had been found, not 90 like the Omnirumour. That's why it was called MEW.
    MEW was part of the omnirumour. Whether it also existed independently outside the omnirumour is debatable.

IIRC, the story was that Morris had returned MEW as a goodwill gesture while delicate negotiations continued for the rest of the haul.
  • davidnumendavidnumen Posts: 1,233
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is no doubt that MEW was part of the omnirumor and when EW came to pass it further fueled the rumour. Some did speculate that perhaps MEW was all that had been found but regardless MEW was but a branch of the omnirumour.

Incidentally PM was rumoured to have found a huuuuge haul of TV in general with the 90 episodes of Who being but a mere trifle. Strange that we haven't seen further archive gems being released.. Unless of course the while thing was ballox.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davidnumen wrote: »
    There is no doubt that MEW was part of the omnirumor and when EW came to pass it further fueled the rumour. Some did speculate that perhaps MEW was all that had been found but regardless MEW was but a branch of the omnirumour.

Incidentally PM was rumoured to have found a huuuuge haul of TV in general with the 90 episodes of Who being but a mere trifle. Strange that we haven't seen further archive gems being released.. Unless of course the while thing was ballox.

Exactly!
    And as time passes it's increasingly likely that the wild idea that 90+ episodes had been found was indeed utter ballcocks.
  • bennythedipbennythedip Posts: 2,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was 106 episodes if you believe the sunday people http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/106-doctor-who-episodes-uncovered-2343474 ;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was 106 episodes if you believe the sunday people http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/106-doctor-who-episodes-uncovered-2343474 ;-)

That one would have been as plausible as a Simpsons episode. :p
  • OnemilescarfOnemilescarf Posts: 221
    Forum Member
    I remember reading that even Feast of Steven had been promised to return.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wasn't there even a rumour of 108 episodes at one point? This included every missing episode ever broadcast plus the unbroadcast Parts 3 and 4 of Planet of Giants.
  • VopiscusVopiscus Posts: 1,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because Marco Polo was part of the same rumour which was correct about Enemy Of The World and The Web Of Fear and lots of rumours have come out ever since about why it hasn't been announced.

So, if I were to start a rumour (Look! I'm doing it now!) that the previous UK government was actually a coalition between the Conservatives, the Liberal Democrats, and tennis-playing blancmanges from outer space, would you swallow (so to speak) the blancmanges, because the other two parts of the rumour were correct? Part of the art of lying is to associate your particular falsehood with things that are indisputably true: every individual element of a rumour needs to be weighed separately.
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The original rumour that went round was everything was back apart from the 10 episodes of Mission to the Unknown/Dalek Master Plan, and 2 episodes each from Wheel in Space/The Ice Warriors/The Invasion.
  • KoquillionKoquillion Posts: 1,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't forget 3M's...Marco, Massacre, Macra. Or The 44...the number of missing Hartnell's (though some were probably Troughton). Happy days, full of hope..."The winds blowing in the right direction", he said. "Wait and see", he said. We waited... but sadly, his wind was but a fart.
  • SambdaSambda Posts: 6,185
    Forum Member
    Koquillion wrote: »
    Don't forget 3M's...Marco, Massacre, Macra. Or The 44...the number of missing Hartnell's (though some were probably Troughton). Happy days, full of hope..."The winds blowing in the right direction", he said. "Wait and see", he said. We waited... but sadly, his wind was but a fart.

Even if he did only find 3 or so stories, he won't have given back everything he did find. That's not his character - he'll string it out to snapping point. That's why the MEW theory may be right - it fits both the rumours and PM's psychology.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sambda wrote: »
    Even if he did only find 3 or so stories, he won't have given back everything he did find. That's not his character - he'll string it out to snapping point. That's why the MEW theory may be right - it fits both the rumours and PM's psychology.

Pretty much the only time where robbing someone would be acceptable is if someone from the BBC was sent to steal any missing episodes Phil Morris has from him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pretty much the only time where robbing someone would be acceptable is if someone from the BBC was sent to steal any missing episodes Phil Morris has from him.

Don't be such an idiot.
    Robbery is illegal, immoral and just plain wrong. It is NEVER acceptable.

If you think it's acceptable then there's something badly wrong with your moral compass.
    Oh wait, you defended the hateful actions of Rolf Harris on various other DS threads, so your morals are deeply questionable already...