recommend me a router

comtalcomtal Posts: 186
Forum Member
Hi all,
Having recently subscribed to netflix im experiencing a certain amount of buffering with my BT Home hub 2.
I normally have a speed of about 6mps.
Will a change to a better router give me a better service and if so any recommendations would be appreciated.
The only other equipment in the house is my laptop which is not used at the same as watching netflix.
Thank you in advance for any help.

Comments

• chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would seriously doubt a change of router would make much difference. I presume you actually mean your speed is 6Mb and not 6mb (there is a difference of a factor of 1 billion between M and m!). Unless the router were somehow having a drastic effect on your broadband speed or causing other issues with performance.

More likely it is your broadband that is the limiting factor. I can get 10-12Mb fairly consistently and even that buffers on HD material from the likes of iPlayer (don't use Netflix so can't comment directly).

Do you have any extension phone sockets? If so as a test try removing the lower half of your master socket and plug the router and a phone into the test socket that is revealed. This connects direct to the line and isolates any extensions so should give you the very best performance. Try a speed test on that. if it is significantly different then you may have an issue with your extension wiring that is affecting performance.

Or it could simply be the distance to your serving exchange that is limiting your speed. If that is the problem then there might not be a huge amount you can do.Short of switching to a fibre broadband if either Virgin or a service such as BT Infinity fibre is available.
  • comtalcomtal Posts: 186
    Forum Member
    Thank you chrisjr for your reply to my query,i shall be taking your advice and hold off from replacing the router at the present time at least
    No i do not have any extension sockets and as i am about 6miles from the exchange (BROWNHILLS) that is as you say probably the cause.
    Unfortunately i cannot access cable and BT fibre is not on the horizon yet,so it seems i will have to live with it for the time being.
    Thanks again for you input.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just to say that netflix don't normally buffer, what it does is adapt and just lower the quality, unless the speed is really low.

I wonder if Bt traffic management is the problem and not the router. Best thing is to borrow a router for a while if you can and try that.

TBH, I can't see it being the router either and Netflix will work fine on 4-5Mb/s but at a lower quality.
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does bbc iplayer or tvcatchup buffer?
    Forum Member
    @ noise747&neo_wales
    BBC Iplayer is fine so it is probably just me being to pernickity having been used to an excellent picture all round.
    Only just had Netflix on the 1month free trial before deciding whether to subscribe in full and not being used to a flickering picture wondered if an upgrade to the router would help.
    To be honest i think i will live with it until fibre arrives as its not a bad picture as such. Thanks all.
  • MeanMintMeanMint Posts: 454
    Forum Member
    How are you connected to your Home Hub
    Forum Member
    Mean Mint
    Direct by Ethernet from a Panasonic Blu-Ray HDD Recorder.