Xperia M4 Aqua is a steal for Virgin customers

RogRog Posts: 1,780
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My contract was up and I was ready to go SIM only and buy a Moto G Titan from Argos, however Virgin have come up with a game changer. Xperia M4 Aqua for £13 per month, 250 mins, 250MB, unlimited texts for customers with other Virgin Media services.

Now their sim only price for this package is £5, so over 24 months the phone itself effectively costs you £192.

So what do you get? 5" screen, octa-core processor, waterproof, Andriod 5.0 Lollipop, 2 day battery life, very slim and light. Needless to say I have gone for this one:)

Comments

• WelshBluebirdWelshBluebird Posts: 740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Doesn't sound like that much of a steal when you only save around £33 in total over the 24 months! (£225 sim free, then the sim only plan at £13 you mentioned, and you have the freedom of jumping away from Virgin if you want to). Cheaper yeah, but not THAT great a deal in any way imo.
  • LyceumLyceum Posts: 3,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You've spent more for a phone that looking at reviews isn't anywhere near as good as the Moto g.

Your contract is £13 x 24 = £312

Buying the moto and getting the same tariff (over two years) would have been £159 + £5 x 24 (£120) = £297.

So you spend £15 more over all. Are locked into a contract for two years and have a phone that is by all accounts not as good as the Moto G Titan.

If you're happy that's all that counts but I don't see how anyone could consider this 'a game changer'.
  • RogRog Posts: 1,780
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lyceum wrote: »
    You've spent more for a phone that looking at reviews isn't anywhere near as good as the Moto g.

Your contract is £13 x 24 = £312

Buying the moto and getting the same tariff (over two years) would have been £159 + £5 x 24 (£120) = £297.

So you spend £15 more over all. Are locked into a contract for two years and have a phone that is by all accounts not as good as the Moto G Titan.

If you're happy that's all that counts but I don't see how anyone could consider this 'a game changer'.

But the moto G is only quad core, not waterproof and is quite thick. I would have gone for it but these more attractive features of the M4 appeal to me. The reviews of the M4 that I have seen are good - it's very new, are you sure you're not thinking of the M2?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Amount of data is horrible

I personally could go through that in a few minutes
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rog wrote: »
    But the moto G is only quad core, not waterproof and is quite thick. I would have gone for it but these more attractive features of the M4 appeal to me. The reviews of the M4 that I have seen are good - it's very new, are you sure you're not thinking of the M2?

Nope. The M4 Aqua.

Most reviews say it's poor performance wise. Has a terrible camera.

'Verdict' from Cnet review.

The good The Sony Xperia M4 Aqua's slick, minimalist design is very similar to that of the top-end Xperia Z3. Its waterproof body makes it usable in the shower, and its capable processor handles the essentials well.
    The bad The camera is truly awful, making it a bad choice for anyone keen on photography. There's a pitiful amount of storage, and Sony's insistence on bundling apps and widgets makes the phone cluttered right out of the box.
    The bottom line The M4 Aqua starts well with its luscious looks and affordable price, but the abysmal camera and storage woes quickly take the shine off an otherwise decent handset.

But as I said, as long as you're happy reviews and other people's opinions don't matter. If you're happy with the deal and the handset then That's really all that matters.
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    Nope. The M4 Aqua.

Most reviews say it's poor performance wise. Has a terrible camera.

'Verdict' from Cnet review.

The good The Sony Xperia M4 Aqua's slick, minimalist design is very similar to that of the top-end Xperia Z3. Its waterproof body makes it usable in the shower, and its capable processor handles the essentials well.
    The bad The camera is truly awful, making it a bad choice for anyone keen on photography. There's a pitiful amount of storage, and Sony's insistence on bundling apps and widgets makes the phone cluttered right out of the box.
    The bottom line The M4 Aqua starts well with its luscious looks and affordable price, but the abysmal camera and storage woes quickly take the shine off an otherwise decent handset.

But as I said, as long as you're happy reviews and other people's opinions don't matter. If you're happy with the deal and the handset then That's really all that matters.

I will call bullshit on that review. While i don't have one, from what i have seen on the phone, that review looks like it was written by a child.

What pitifull storage? It has 8 or 16gb expandable with a 32gb card support :confused: The camera is also absolutely fine and takes rather good pics. For its £200 price tag, its a great phone.

Also, Sonys insistence of bundling apps and widgets? Sony thankfully is one of the OEM's who put barely anything on there phones! And most of the ones they do put on can be uninstalled.

cnet these days is rubbish for reviews and seems to employ complete numptys.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    I will call bullshit on that review. While i don't have one, from what i have seen on the phone, that review looks like it was written by a child.

What pitifull storage? It has 8 or 16gb expandable with a 32gb card support :confused: The camera is also absolutely fine and takes rather good pics. For its £200 price tag, its a great phone.

Also, Sonys insistence of bundling apps and widgets? Sony thankfully is one of the OEM's who put barely anything on there phones! And most of the ones they do put on can be uninstalled.

cnet these days is rubbish for reviews and seems to employ complete numptys.

You don't have it but you call bullshit?

Okay.
  • lightspeed2398lightspeed2398 Posts: 2,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The amount of cores thing is generally bullshit as well. It depends on how powerful each core is and how well designed everything is for using parallel threads. In reality there won't be much a difference. There can be benefits to certain 8 core designs though especially those that use a big.LITTLE architecture but I'm not sure if this is one of them.

Regarding the rest of everything I bet they're not too dissimilar either but the waterproofing is also a nice thing to have. Sony is one of the better OEMs it's not full stock but it's generally well optimised. I can't speak for either of these phones specifically though because I don't own them.

250Mb is a small allowance but if it suits OP then fine he pointed out a reasonable deal that some people might be interested in.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What I can say, after a few days of using it, is that the pics seem fine (although I use a proper camera when on holiday, etc), it loads web pages quickly and I have micro SD card on order:)
  • Gareth_BeerGareth_Beer Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    Virgin offered me 250mins/1GB & unlimited txt the other day when I phoned up to cancel 2 sim only...

Thought that was a good retention deal if I ever seen one...
  • binarybinary Posts: 699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Virgin offered me 250mins/1GB & unlimited txt the other day when I phoned up to cancel 2 sim only...

Thought that was a good retention deal if I ever seen one...

A family acquaintance was offered £5 a month for unlimited minutes, unlimited data and unlimited texts when they called Virgin Mobile up for a PAC code.

They had however spent well over the odds in previous years as a pay by Direct Debit PAYG customer (something that was only ever offered by Virgin) - I think their usage had gradually creeped up over time and they'd just never thought about what they were paying.

So I suggested they change over to a SIM only bundle with another network - they were then offered their amazing retention deal by Virgin, which of course they took!

I doubt they even use 250MB of data, and I suspect they still do silly things like ring 0870 numbers without thinking. I do wonder if the retention deal was somehow offered by mistake though...
  • lightspeed2398lightspeed2398 Posts: 2,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Makes you wonder how much EE charges them in wholesale costs, of course the 4g ones will be higher, but if they're still making a profit on that, then I wonder how much profit they're making from us.
    Forum Member
    You don't have it but you call bullshit?

Okay.

Ever heard of knowing someone who has one? Or maybe researched it properly and not relying on the worst tech site on the internet for a review of the phone?

Try researching the phone yourself and you can see its bullshit.
    Forum Member
    The amount of cores thing is generally bullshit as well. It depends on how powerful each core is and how well designed everything is for using parallel threads. In reality there won't be much a difference. There can be benefits to certain 8 core designs though especially those that use a big.LITTLE architecture but I'm not sure if this is one of them.

Regarding the rest of everything I bet they're not too dissimilar either but the waterproofing is also a nice thing to have. Sony is one of the better OEMs it's not full stock but it's generally well optimised. I can't speak for either of these phones specifically though because I don't own them.

250Mb is a small allowance but if it suits OP then fine he pointed out a reasonable deal that some people might be interested in.

I have the Z2 and agree, they are one of the better OEM's who dont ruin the phone with pointless things and horrid launchers.

This is why i question the review the other poster put up.
  • Aye UpAye Up Posts: 7,053
    Forum Member
    Lets add a bit of balance to the arguement....

http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=7068&idPhone2=6647

M4 Aqua has a better CPU in the Snapdragon 615 which if I'm not mistaken is 64bit and Octocore along with an Adreno 405 GPU. It has LTE in all European bands. It also has 2GB of RAM. Dualband WiFi....

That is just some of benefits with said phone....

Comparing M4 with Moto G in all its variants is like chalk and cheese. Granted it may have issues with the camera and other faults. The Moto G is in no way better than M4 at least based on specs. If the OP thinks he has a good deal, we have no right to take the piss out of for it. Disagree yes but to the extent of what is on display here, there isn't any need.

Being honest this part of the forum is probably the most hostile similar to politics, I think we need to respect the fact that not all of us are so well versed in pouring over specs and features. We should be supporting those who don't frequent this area of the board as much as we do. This place has a Jekyll and Hyde persona at times, quite frankly can be intimidated; support, offer insight, guidance, help! Its something we are all capable of, deploy a bit of it now and then?
  • culabulaculabula Posts: 862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My contract was up and I was ready to go SIM only and buy a Moto G Titan from Argos, however Virgin have come up with a game changer. Xperia M4 Aqua for £13 per month, 250 mins, 250MB, unlimited texts for customers with other Virgin Media services.

Now their sim only price for this package is £5, so over 24 months the phone itself effectively costs you £192.

So what do you get? 5" screen, octa-core processor, waterproof, Andriod 5.0 Lollipop, 2 day battery life, very slim and light. Needless to say I have gone for this one:)

Are they locked to Virgin?
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is Android using 64 bit yet ?

I'd suggest any memory overhead makes 64 bit part white elephant.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Is Android using 64 bit yet ?

I'd suggest any memory overhead makes 64 bit part white elephant.

The M4 is 64 bit and Lollipop supports it, so that must be a good thing?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    culabula wrote: »
    Are they locked to Virgin?

The M4 uses a nano SIM and I don't have access to a compatible phone on another network to try it. Virgin use the EE network, so perhaps it would work with EE as well
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aye Up wrote: »
    Lets add a bit of balance to the arguement....

http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=7068&idPhone2=6647

M4 Aqua has a better CPU in the Snapdragon 615 which if I'm not mistaken is 64bit and Octocore along with an Adreno 405 GPU. It has LTE in all European bands. It also has 2GB of RAM. Dualband WiFi....

That is just some of benefits with said phone....

Comparing M4 with Moto G in all its variants is like chalk and cheese. Granted it may have issues with the camera and other faults. The Moto G is in no way better than M4 at least based on specs. If the OP thinks he has a good deal, we have no right to take the piss out of for it. Disagree yes but to the extent of what is on display here, there isn't any need.

Being honest this part of the forum is probably the most hostile similar to politics, I think we need to respect the fact that not all of us are so well versed in pouring over specs and features. We should be supporting those who don't frequent this area of the board as much as we do. This place has a Jekyll and Hyde persona at times, quite frankly can be intimidated; support, offer insight, guidance, help! Its something we are all capable of, deploy a bit of it now and then?

Thanks for that - I've effectively paid a premium of £33 to buy the M4 instead of the Moto G Titan and I think it has at least £33 worth of better features, which I appreciate.
  • Michael09Michael09 Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I currently pay £12 a month for 3GB of Data Unlimited Texts and 500 minutes. Its great value in fact I would call it steal along with my Moto G, which if I do say so myself has great specs for the money ;).
  • Aye UpAye Up Posts: 7,053
    Forum Member
    Thanks for that - I've effectively paid a premium of £33 to buy the M4 instead of the Moto G Titan and I think it has at least £33 worth of better features, which I appreciate.

I think thats the key bit here, you are happy with your deal. Having worked in the industry, customers feeling like they have been fleeced is never a good thing. I was never a good salesman as I earned the lowest commission in the store at the time, purely down to personal ethics and morals. What is most important are your views, to me that should be paramount above anything.

Just some food for thought, in a future update (to be confirmed), the camera software on your phone should be getting a few new features. Also fixes some problems related ot that.

Again for balance
    Editor's note: Our full verdict will appear here once we've received a Sony Xperia M4 Aqua with final software and we've had a chance to give it a good test.
    The M4 Aqua is a decently priced smartphone that does a lot of things well, and a lot of things not so well. This can sometimes mean it's hard to decide whether or not a phone would be particularly suitable for certain people, but in this case the stars have aligned and it actually makes the decision a bit easier.
    Do you want a phone that covers the basics well, throws in some nice features like 4G and NFC and also looks nice? Do you only use your phone occasionally but when you do, you need to know that it will have kept its battery?
    Then the Sony Xperia M4 Aqua is definitely worth considering, and if you bought it for those reasons you wouldn't be disappointed at all.

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/phones/mobile-phones/sony-xperia-m4-aqua-1286091/review

The phone isn't as bad as some have said, except the storage it actually looks a decent phone.
  • clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd be cautious about suggesting the M4, at least in 8gb guise. By all accounts it only has about 1.5gb of internal storage available. Which is okay if you don't want to use many applications, but you definitely can't go ahead and install loads of apps .... no way of installing apps to SD either.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aye Up wrote: »
    Just some food for thought, in a future update (to be confirmed), the camera software on your phone should be getting a few new features. Also fixes some problems related ot that.

Thanks for the heads up - will look forward to the upgrade
    Forum Member
    clonmult wrote: »
    I'd be cautious about suggesting the M4, at least in 8gb guise. By all accounts it only has about 1.5gb of internal storage available. Which is okay if you don't want to use many applications, but you definitely can't go ahead and install loads of apps .... no way of installing apps to SD either.

You sure about that?

I have apps installed to my SD card on my Z2.