febe
    fission
    noscript
    pdfdownload
    tab mix plus
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't - I use Opera, which does what I want without needing any addons.
  • captncoolcaptncool Posts: 3,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mathertron wrote: »
    This thread just proves how badass firefox is. :cool:

just proves how many opera standard features it copies .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    horns wrote: »
    I don't - I use Opera, which does what I want without needing any addons.

Good for you, but the rest of us in this tread like Firefox :rolleyes:

I really like cookieculler, can keep the cookies I want (forums etc) and bin the rest
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chip_chip wrote: »

I really like cookieculler, can keep the cookies I want (forums etc) and bin the rest

opera cookie mannagement ,standard feature .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chip_chip wrote: »

Just answering the OP's question:
    boxx wrote: »
    Which ones do you use?

I like Firefox too - its a good browser, and coming from IE its a huge step forward. However, that tends to blind people to the fact that its not the only (or necessarily the best) alternative.

Ad Block and Tab preview will go some of the way towards getting the same functionality as Opera though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just answering the OP's question:

I like Firefox too - its a good browser, and coming from IE its a huge step forward. However, that tends to blind people to the fact that its not the only (or necessarily the best) alternative.

Ad Block and Tab preview will go some of the way towards getting the same functionality as Opera though.

a good objective post that .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If your a web developer firebug is fantastic. Theres also an addon for that for php developers, firephp, so you can use firebug to debug.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DOS wrote: »
    If your a web developer firebug is fantastic. Theres also an addon for that for php developers, firephp, so you can use firebug to debug.

http://www.opera.com/bitmaps/products/dragonfly/screenshots/css.png

standard .
  • Zero gravitasZero gravitas Posts: 12,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A few.

Adblock Plus
    Adobe DLM
    All-in-one-sidebar
    Better You Tube
    British English Dictionary
    Compact Menu 2
    Cooliris
    Cooliris Previews
    CustomizeGoogle
    DownloadHelper
    FireShot
    Flashblock
    Google Icon
    GoogleEnhancer
    IE Tab
    IE View (Page 2)
    Image Zoom
    InFormEnter
    Java Quick Starter
    Microsoft .NET Frame Assistant
    NoScript
    QuickRestart
    Read it Later
    Secure Login
    Speed Dial
    Tab Scope
    Targeted Advertising Cookie Opt-Out
    TrackMeNot
    Yet Another Smooth Scrolling
  • fraserafrasera Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    captncool wrote: »
    just proves how many opera standard features it copies .

opera has lots of features, but it doesn't do them as well as the addons to firefox do, i've tried opera many times, and many of the interface niggles just bug the sh*t out of me, never mind the way it handles spawned tabs etc. so i always go back to firefox, and as more better extensions come out, i've bothered with opera less and less, its just not competitive.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    frasera wrote: »
    opera has lots of features, but it doesn't do them as well as the addons to firefox do, i've tried opera many times, and many of the interface niggles just bug the sh*t out of me, never mind the way it handles spawned tabs etc. so i always go back to firefox, and as more better extensions come out, i've bothered with opera less and less, its just not competitive.

Opera is so configurable that you could have changed those niggles quite easily, had you taken a little time with it before dismissing it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

spawned tabs problem ? strange problem .
    how can the browser firefox apears to be copying be un competitive ?
    smooth scrolling
    no script
    adblock
    privacy mode
    speedial
    gestures
    etc etc etc
    Forum Member
    the order which it sorts spawned tabs is not to my liking.

you can quibble about which is better at default loadout. i'm just saying that once extensions are added to the equation i think its hard to compete with what firefox has. basically with every feature i prefer the firefox extensions implementation.

i basically have every browser installed though just to see, sometimes i use them for different tasks/segregate emails etc. but still the main browsing is done on firefox. having a hundred+ tabs works fine in firefox. gets annoying in opera pretty quick.
  • DunedinDunedin Posts: 1,704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A couple I have not seen listed yet that I find invaluable :

Sage / Sage2 : A very simple rrs/atom feed reader ... puts feed reading back into the browser where 'I' think it should be, not a 3rd party.

GooglePreview : adds thumbnails to google searches. I am lost without this.

ScrapBook : save webpages for later offline reading. Fantastic for saving those pages you want to read later when no wifi is available. (readitlater provides similar functionality ... I just find this easier)

GoogleGlobal : force searches on googles country specific sites ... great for monitoring website rankings.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the order which it sorts spawned tabs is not to my liking.

you can quibble about which is better at default loadout. i'm just saying that once extensions are added to the equation i think its hard to compete with what firefox has. basically with every feature i prefer the firefox extensions implementation.

i basically have every browser installed though just to see, sometimes i use them for different tasks/segregate emails etc. but still the main browsing is done on firefox. having a hundred+ tabs works fine in firefox. gets annoying in opera pretty quick.

hundred +tabs what you doing lol
    i just reached 70 on opera and it was ok i hover mouse to see whats in each tab etc i dont see how this pressents anything but a problem because your not used to it , combined with firefox extentions it must get very crowded very quick on your screen ,
    this is why opera handles better imho it is effortless at multi tasking without clutter
    firefox could introduce addons till its hearts content and never catch up with opera
    simply because any programme on your os can be accessed from opera (via the creation of a button on the main bar or side panel )and same goes for any site .firefox is selling a dummy to its fans in this respect (so i see it anyway ) .

its a sad fact that with each new addon feature that firefox introduce its heralded as fantastic /groundbreaking etc
    when in fact its far from it .

i,ll end by saying this -

so far i havent seen a single feature that opera doesnt have .
  • tywyntywyn Posts: 727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apart from the ones that have been metioned:

Add Boomark here

Add to Search bar

Advertising Cookie Optout

British English Dictionary

Flagfox - Shows the country flag of a website in the address bar

Footiefox - Live football updates

New Tab Homepage

QTL (my fav, get version 12.6 though) - Highlight a word on a page and it will bring up a thumbnail dictionary, a famous person/name/place etc will bring up a thumbnail wikipedia page, and a website address without the actual HTML link will bring up a thumbnail image preview to click which takes you to the appropriate website.
  • Zero gravitasZero gravitas Posts: 12,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does every thread have to degenerate to a pissing contest between browsers?:rolleyes:

The OP asked for Firefox addons, nothing more.
    Forum Member
    captncool wrote: »
    hundred +tabs what you doing lol
    i just reached 70 on opera and it was ok i hover mouse to see whats in each tab etc i dont see how this pressents anything but a problem because your not used to it , combined with firefox extentions it must get very crowded very quick on your screen ,
    this is why opera handles better imho it is effortless at multi tasking without clutter
    firefox could introduce addons till its hearts content and never catch up with opera
    simply because any programme on your os can be accessed from opera (via the creation of a button on the main bar or side panel )and same goes for any site .firefox is selling a dummy to its fans in this respect (so i see it anyway ) .

its a sad fact that with each new addon feature that firefox introduce its heralded as fantastic /groundbreaking etc
    when in fact its far from it .

i,ll end by saying this -

so far i havent seen a single feature that opera doesnt have .

mouse hovering is inconvenient and slow way of seeing what tabs you have. tabs mixplus all tabs button on the bar brings down a quick scrollable listing of all tabs that works in a snap.
    if you leave your os running for long periods of time, tabs build up, and its fine. in fact it gets crowded on opera yes, and that is the problem, it doesn't get crowded on firefox because the tabs have minimum size settings so they do not shrink but scroll off screen, either accessed with scrolling/extending tab bar, clicking the left arrow/right arrow on the bar, but mostly using the quick drop down listing.

the other extensions basically take up no space on the screen:P
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mouse hovering is inconvenient and slow. tabs mixplus all tabs button on the bar brings down a quick scrollable listing of all tabs that works in a snap.

Like the one you get in Opera if you right click the tab bar and enable "Show extender menu", then?
  • tywyntywyn Posts: 727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Like the one you get in Opera if you right click the tab bar and enable "Show extender menu", then?

Best you make an Opera thread then, as quite frankly we couldn't care less :rolleyes:
    Forum Member

Version
    yields nothing.

perhaps its somewhere else. either way its the general pain the ass of opera.
    in fact this is the search result of the opera help page
    http://www.opera.com/support/search/index.dml?name=Show+extender+menu&maxhits=0&platform=winnew

as i said, just not worth it.
  • SupportSupport Posts: 70,793
    Administrator
    Please ensure that your posts are on-topic. The title asks for Firefox addons so any discussion regarding other browsers would be off-topic.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/terms.php
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only one I use now is Google Gears - which is dead handy for autosyncing your Google Calendar so you can use it offline.

Useful for people like me who use it instead of a reliable memory...
  • boxxboxx Posts: 5,335
    Forum Member
    Thanks all. Loads to go on there. :)