National Treasures and all that.

HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
Forum Member
Whilst I realise that T&D are national treasures and with their past history etc. etc. I personally, find their style of skating a bit stilted and old fashioned now but again realise that advancing years don't help, as they probably don't feel like doing more adventurous moves that much younger skaters would do.

Last night, I fast forwarded through their opening routine, not necessarily because of them, but because I couldn't stand that wailing singer whom they had to skate around - dreadful, dreadful as a certain Steve Allen would say.

Comments

• SallyforthSallyforth Posts: 7,404
    Forum Member
    I'm kind of unsure where to go with this thread...it seems to me if T&D continue to be involved with DOI to the extent that they are as choreographers and trainers, they will continue to perform in some capacity. I am not sure how they or the viewers would feel as a whole if they were to be replaced in either capacity, at least just yet. If the show is going to go on long term then maybe that conversation would be more pressing, but I suspect many of us aren't sure how much more shelf life it's got....
  • TreewatcherTreewatcher Posts: 1,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps the show should end when they call it a day. I do still think it's nice to see them dancing though, because they are what the show was originally all about. I wish at the end the celebs get to skate the 'real' Bolero routine, rather than a chopped down re-vamped version. It's like it's totally copyrighted.
  • WickedPlansWickedPlans Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    They skate beautifully and with an ease that I have not seen in any of the other skaters.
    I LOVE to watch them skate and hope that they continue.
  • davedubdavedub Posts: 8,826
    Forum Member
    I always fast forward their routine, their lovely people but im only interested in the celebs
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love T&D, have been a fan since the 80s and feel very disloyal saying this but I do think some of their routines look a bit tired now and then.

I'd like to see more from the pros like we do on SCD. I really liked the routine that Chris did with the male pros. Have watched it again several times.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love watching T&D skate and yes I understand that they dont do more daring things but they are in their 50s so I dont really blame them.

What I do hate is them having singers on and missing half of what T&D are doing because the cameras are on the singer, like last night.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps the show should end when they call it a day. I do still think it's nice to see them dancing though, because they are what the show was originally all about. I wish at the end the celebs get to skate the 'real' Bolero routine, rather than a chopped down re-vamped version. It's like it's totally copyrighted.

Er surely they don't skate the real Bolero because that was 4 minutes of Olympic standard skating. Our dear celebs would stuggle to pass level 5 (out of 10 plus 3 passport levels) of the UK learn to skate course let alone any of the next 10 levels of national tests. They would not have a hope and would look entirely silly.
  • oulandyoulandy Posts: 18,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HHGTTG wrote: »
    Whilst I realise that T&D are national treasures and with their past history etc. etc. I personally, find their style of skating a bit stilted and old fashioned now but again realise that advancing years don't help, as they probably don't feel like doing more adventurous moves that much younger skaters would do.

Last night, I fast forwarded through their opening routine, not necessarily because of them, but because I couldn't stand that wailing singer whom they had to skate around - dreadful, dreadful as a certain Steve Allen would say.

I muted the sound and watched Jane and Chris skating because the singing was so dreadful.
  • CornchipsCornchips Posts: 68,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I agree with you about the mournful wailing coming from pixie whaserface - truely dreadful!!

Re Torvil and Dean - they are most certainly past their best and I too find them a little stilted. However, for me its about embracing the entertainment they provide as a whole. I much prefer it though when they dance with the other professionals which gives it a bit more "whizz" somehow.
  • CornchipsCornchips Posts: 68,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love watching T&D skate and yes I understand that they dont do more daring things but they are in their 50s so I dont really blame them.

What I do hate is them having singers on and missing half of what T&D are doing because the cameras are on the singer, like last night.

Agree with you re the singers. We know what they look like - establish it at the beginning and then let's just hear them. Strictly are exactly the same for that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love watching T&D skate. They are a partnership par excellence, and have bags of experience. They may not be as young or as fit as they used to be, but they are still a joy to watch.
  • samiskimsamiskim Posts: 1,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What they did in the 80's was incredible. The only ice-dancers to have received a perfect score from all the judges. It was amazing. I saw them dance Bolero in the 90's and it was magical. However, it was a long time ago and I am sure they are brilliant teachers and I hope they urge and inspire young skaters but, quite, honestly, if they let their name be associated with Jason Gardiner they will be tarred with the same brush. They really ought to have the guts and speak out about how he undermines their teaching, and criticises their work. But they won't say a word - they are too bland.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would like to see more Pro routines, maybe let couples like Fred and Mel open the show!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 224
    Forum Member

What a shame you decided to fast forward through their routine last night. It was beautifully skated and there were some very innovative lifts and moves. Although I have to confess the singing was painful to listen to and it was incredibly frustrating when the camera moved away from Chris and Jayne and focused on Pixie Lott and her guitarist.

What a lot of people seem to forget is that the size of the ice rink is extremely small and very restrictive. Torvill and Dean are still incredibly talented, beautiful skaters. Just look at their footwork - the steps and the speed. I think you'd be hard pushed to find any other skaters producing what they do in their 50's!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    number six wrote: »
    I would like to see more Pro routines, maybe let couples like Fred and Mel open the show!

Yep, I love Fred and Mel, that would be great. What about Alexandra and her hubby Lukasz as well? I saw them on the programme of the tour and thought they were absolutely brilliant.

Not to say that T & D couldn't still open the programme most of the time, but a change would be nice from time to time.

Also more pro group routines a la SCD would be good.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member

I think you just pointed out a flaw in T and D's thinking, not skating. They seem to think that people want to see them perform ultra mod routines to current music that frankly, stinks, imo. that's not true. I, and I think, many others, would love to see a return to the true artistic roots of Ice Dance. with the Olympics coming up, these 2 could show younger viewers and skaters what artistic programs used to be like, before skating rules reduced all skating to jumps and flashy tricks. In other words, yes, they're old fashioned, and would look beautiful skating to some old-fashioned music which has stood the test of time.
  • HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
    Forum Member
    I think you just pointed out a flaw in T and D's thinking, not skating. They seem to think that people want to see them perform ultra mod routines to current music that frankly, stinks, imo. that's not true. I, and I think, many others, would love to see a return to the true artistic roots of Ice Dance. with the Olympics coming up, these 2 could show younger viewers and skaters what artistic programs used to be like, before skating rules reduced all skating to jumps and flashy tricks. In other words, yes, they're old fashioned, and would look beautiful skating to some old-fashioned music which has stood the test of time.

But times move on. Have you ever seen footage of skaters such as Jeanette Alltweg (Sp?) or Sonje Henie. Or Fred Perry playing tennis. Their styles and athleticism are a world apart from today's protagonists.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They may not have the razzamataz that seems to be expected by the younger generation, but very few people have the grace they have on the ice, or can bring out the emotion that they can. Save the falls and the spectacular for the celebrities. I would like to see more routines done by the professionals, as well as Torvill and Dean's ice dancing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would I rather watch T&D than a good number of current ice dancers? Yes.

Would you get any of the current crop of elite ice dancers on the show? Probably not, and certainly not given that it's broadcasting at the same time as the Winter Olympics.

Whether T&D are as good as they were in their prime is irrelevant. Whether they are as good as the current crop is irrelevant. Whether they are as good as ANYONE ELSE is irrelevant.

The show has their name on it and as such it's up to them to be as entertaining as possible when they step onto the ice. As far as I'm concerned they're doing a superior job to most of the other available talent and deserve the recognition they're still getting.
    Forum Member

Would you get any of the current crop of elite ice dancers on the show? Probably not, and certainly not given that it's broadcasting at the same time as the Winter Olympics.

Whether T&D are as good as they were in their prime is irrelevant. Whether they are as good as the current crop is irrelevant. Whether they are as good as ANYONE ELSE is irrelevant.

The show has their name on it and as such it's up to them to be as entertaining as possible when they step onto the ice. As far as I'm concerned they're doing a superior job to most of the other available talent and deserve the recognition they're still getting.

I agree, inasmuch that the men's and women's solo skating, as seen in the major championships and Olympics seems to be a load of required elements, linked by skating, where you can sense that they are getting ready to do those required elements.
    This doesn't make for a very pretty sight, really. However the rules have changed here and in other aspect of competitition such as the pairs and free ice dancing.

Personally, I'd like to see school figures on TV and the compulsory dances that I remember, from my attempts at dancing at Bronze level, in my skating days.
    Forum Member

If, indeed the programme is called "Dancing on Ice" then lets see more dancing and less spectacular lifts where the girls spend far too much time aloft.
    I would like to see more dancing on the surface of the ice with Mohawks and Choctaws and cleaner edges and bent legs.
    It's not too much to ask as most of the celebrities are young and are having intensive training. Far more than I had at Streatham and Queen's Ice rinks and my weekly 20 minute lessons!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If, indeed the programme is called "Dancing on Ice" then lets see more dancing and less spectacular lifts where the girls spend far too much time aloft.

I would like to see more dancing on the surface of the ice with Mohawks and Choctaws and cleaner edges and bent legs.

The argument from those who know more than I is that a) stunts are an integral part of elite skating these days, so it makes sense that stunts would be higher marked on this show, and b) the big stunts cover up the stars' lack of actual skating ability, by filling in large gaps in a 90-second routine.

I dunno how hard it is to do a Mohawk or a Choctaw. Any of the ice gurus want to fill me in on whether these steps are tricky or not?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mohawks are not too bad though I used to hate them and there are several varieties some are more difficult than others.

Mohawks are a turn from one edge to the same edge eg inside to inside or outside to outside.

Choctaws - other than the stepping from backward to forward that is often technically a choctaw - are a step from h*ll! these involve stepping from an inside to outside edge or vice versa. And there are all different varieties forward and backward.

There's also rockers, counters, brackets etc which are harder again.

The problem seems to me to be that they don't have much chance to progress beyond what they learn in the first few months of training as they have little time to do much beyond preparing the next weeks routine so would think they are largely limited to what they could do or were close to being able to do before the shows run started and/or some of the simpler steps.

Ray Quinn is the only one who was beginning to show some command of his edges and could hold an edge after the turn. I would think his roller blading experience helped there. Suzanne was getting there. Chris F could skate fast but never really got to grips with edges during the show - although I am mightily impressed he can now do multiple twizzles.

Daniella and Hayley show promise in this area as do Gary and Mikey and to some extent Kieron. Danny is still very snatchy in all his turns and needs to learn to hold the edges which I think he would be capable of given time.

I hold out no hope for Dr Hilary :D who is still stepping and toepushing his way round the ice rather than stroking and gliding but I give him credit for a big improvement over previous weeks.
    Forum Member
    icedragon wrote: »
    Mohawks are not too bad though I used to hate them and there are several varieties some are more difficult than others.......

There's also rockers, counters, brackets etc which are harder again.

Ah, yes, I had forgotten all about those - tells you how long ago it was now.