LoveFilm any good for game rentals?

Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
Forum Member
✭✭
I've been a member of SwapGame for years and generally found they are good in getting my top selections out to me. But with the recent addition of the LoveFilm service to the PS3 I'm tempted to change to them as it would offer me the chance of getting games, films and the online service for the same price I'm paying SwapGame right now.

But how are they in getting your selected games out to you? Of course I would expect to get the big blockbuster games as soon as they are released, but I would hope a month or so later it would be easier to get them. Anyone got any experience?

Comments

• Lisa.JLisa.J Posts: 1,919
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did the 30 day free trial and to be fair they were pretty good at sending out my top titles, I got AC Brotherhood day after launch day from them.

What annoyed me about Lovefilm tho was what a total pain the in ass it is to cancel the account. i decided to cancel before the 30 day trial ended as I'm getting a couple of games for xmas and didnt seem like much point in renting any more, so went on the website to cancel, to find cant do it on there, have to phone. I must have tried about 5/6 times just to get through, they keep you on hold for 2 min and then theres a message to say they are too busy and ask you to leave a message and they will call you back within 2 hours (pointless for me as I was at work and on a break), when I finally get through the woman on puts me on hold for a few minutes after every detail that i give them, when she finally speaks to me she tries to talk me into just downgrading the account, finally convince her that im not going to change my mind, and she closes the account. 20 minutes that phone call. :rolleyes:

Having written all that Ive just realised that I never received the email confirming my account has been closed (the email I was meant to get within 24 hours lol) Hmmmm. :mad:
  • gothergother Posts: 14,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lovefilm are excellent during your free trial but as soon as they take payments their service gets very poor. Whilst on my free trial i was recieving dvds/games that were high priority. But as soon as they took the first payment i was only getting items that were low priority and rarely got any games. As lisa said it is a nightmare trying to cancel despite i had sent all titles back to them. In the end i ended up having to contact my card company to get the payments stopped.
    Stick with swapgame i'm also with these now and there's always the option of buying the game of them if you really like the game.
  • Premium-OnionPremium-Onion Posts: 3,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have always had good service from Lovefilm.

A little tip is to only have one title in your rentals list, it has always guaranteed me the game I have wanted. :D
  • NedubizNedubiz Posts: 2,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great service. I joined in October in anticipation of the PS3 app for movie streaming.

The game rentals work really well - the discs are sent quickly, and the returns are processed within a day or so.

Premium- Onion (always thought that said opinion) makes a good point. If you are after a parituclar game then only have a few on your list. I have about 30 on mine, mainly trying out types of games that I usually wouldn't buy.
  • Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hmm, mixed reviews it seems.

I was speaking to someone else who also claimed that during the free trail period they are really good but once you start paying it goes down hill.

To be honest after using the online service on the PS3 for a couple of days I have to safe the selection of films is poor. It's mostly older films and not the newer blockbusters.
  • gothergother Posts: 14,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Red Arrow wrote: »
    hmm, mixed reviews it seems.

I was speaking to someone else who also claimed that during the free trail period they are really good but once you start paying it goes down hill.

To be honest after using the online service on the PS3 for a couple of days I have to safe the selection of films is poor. It's mostly older films and not the newer blockbusters.

Cinemaparadiso are very good in my experience for DVD rentals. The only downside is they don't do any games and are a tad more pricier than others. But they offer a free trial so might be worth checking out and see how you get on with them. http://www.cinemaparadiso.co.uk/
  • Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gother wrote: »
    Cinemaparadiso are very good in my experience for DVD rentals. The only downside is they don't do any games and are a tad more pricier than others. But they offer a free trial so might be worth checking out and see how you get on with them. http://www.cinemaparadiso.co.uk/

Thanks but it's games I'm mainly after. What attracted me to LoveFilm over SwapGame was the fact for the same price I could get films and the streaming service too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found LoveFilm hit or miss, Halo Wars I got a day after release and my housemates got the Scene It games really fast too.
    But then some other games never seemed to be sent out ever and I ended up getting ones from the bottom of my list.