Options

Sky & Satellite Weekly News Thread, Week # 50. The Final Edition of 2010

Comments

• Options
    CraigSteele2001CraigSteele2001 Posts: 971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SKYtvFREAK wrote: »
    Between 12pm and 5pm. I won't get in from work till about 1.30pm. My mum will be home but to cover ourselves, I had to write out a detailed description what we need doing - my mum hasn't got the foggiest you see :D

Basically involves keeping the standard box upstairs, relocating the Sky+ box from the living room to bedroom and its not as simple as plugging the HD box in the living room as we had to rearrange the living room and the TV is now in a new place, meaning the current cables are useless.

This is where I'm concerned - will they be happy to basically replace 2 of the current 3 satellite feeds and the addition of 2 new ones? I can just hear it now... "Its not on the job sheet bahh bah bah" :rolleyes:

Btw, we got offered a free HD box and free installation :p

We had an offer in September of a Free HD box for six months which we took up on, that will end in March. Sky said it was because we had been good customers for the last 12 years.

I'll miss it when March comes
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wotsat says CNC World will launch in the UK on January 1st:

http://wotsat.techradar.com/news/cnc-world-coming-january-22-12-10?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+wotsat%2FGRzG+%28What+Satellite+%26+Digital+TV+FB%29&utm_content=FaceBook

I hope they arrive soon - Ive enjoyed some of the stuff on them via Hotbird and it deserves wider exposure to the uk.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    @SKYtvFREAK: Any news on the installation? Did they turn up?
  • Options
    SKYtvFREAKSKYtvFREAK Posts: 2,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    @SKYtvFREAK: Any news on the installation? Did they turn up?

Good news, bad news! Good news is a Sky installer came (no subby insight - thats who we normally get lumped with :mad:) and said that he could do exactly what I wanted - which was fantastic news. However, he couldn't do the installation due to the snow/ice on our flat roof, where the dish is located; I guess he didn't want to risk falling off and tbh I can't blame him.

Hes now coming next Monday, 27th December :( - no EastEnders in HD on Saturday for us :o

Although, at least I've managed to get the home cinema up and running :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Good news, bad news! Good news is a Sky installer came (no subby insight - thats who we normally get lumped with :mad:) and said that he could do exactly what I wanted - which was fantastic news. However, he couldn't do the installation due to the snow/ice on our flat roof, where the dish is located; I guess he didn't want to risk falling off and tbh I can't blame him.

Hes now coming next Monday, 27th December :( - no EastEnders in HD on Saturday for us :o

Although, at least I've managed to get the home cinema up and running :p

Shame about the HD installation. But it's understandable I guess in this weather. How's the home cinema?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shame about the HD installation. But it's understandable I guess in this weather. How's the home cinema?

It's lovely. Makes a refreshing and dramatically deep change to the old 1999/2000 Panny 27" 'surround sound' widescreen monster its replaced. But thats enough about me :D:o
  • Options
    DanforthDanforth Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    TV DUNIYA wrote: »

At least it'll stop the absurdity of characters walking into the pub and ordering "a pint of bitter, please!"

Anyone else try that the first time they went into a pub, and immediately got ID'd and/or kicked out? :D
  • Options
    Radio RuderhamRadio Ruderham Posts: 13,776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Danforth wrote: »
    At least it'll stop the absurdity of characters walking into the pub and ordering "a pint of bitter, please!"

Anyone else try that the first time they went into a pub, and immediately got ID'd and/or kicked out? :D

Funny that, My Foster Parent from lonnnnnnnnnnnng time ago
    used to manage several pubs (not all at the same time)
    and the amount of folk that would come in and
    Say, "Pint Of Lager or Export or Special" was the norm up here.
    Interesting that:rolleyes:
  • Options
    RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We had an offer in September of a Free HD box for six months which we took up on, that will end in March. Sky said it was because we had been good customers for the last 12 years.

I'll miss it when March comes

What will happen in March? Will they take the box back or just switch off the HD signal?
  • Options
    CraigSteele2001CraigSteele2001 Posts: 971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What will happen in March? Will they take the box back or just switch off the HD signal?

As yet we haven't been told by anyone what will happen, but I guess we will sort that out nearer the time.

Not sure we will keep the HD package though because of the cost against the price of the SD package. At present we don't have the Movies or children's on the subscription.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Surely the offer was a free HD box and free HD sub for 6 months? Can't see them taking the box back.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Surely the offer was a free HD box and free HD sub for 6 months? Can't see them taking the box back.

That would be a bit unusual as I thought with Sky you kept the box?
  • Options
    Tumble weedTumble weed Posts: 8,200
    Forum Member
    Bravo - We Salute You!

To mark the end of Bravo, which ceases broadcasting on the 1st January 2011, next week is the best of Bravo every day from 9pm.

http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/1846/29j.mp4

Wonder if they'll use some of the old idents?
  • Options
    Radio RuderhamRadio Ruderham Posts: 13,776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bravo - We Salute You!

To mark the end of Bravo, which ceases broadcasting on the 1st January 2011, next week is the best of Bravo every day from 9pm.

Can't open this old son!
  • Options
    ashyukashyuk Posts: 832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    just want to say a very happy xmas to all ar forum readers an writers...
    touch wood see you al next year.. an we hope lots of new HD channels in 2011

an happy new year
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bravo - We Salute You!

well i wonder if channel one is going to close on the first as v has its last episode on Monday 27th and there isnt any other recent shows showing.
    But sonome said on here that it was closing on the first of feb, but i cant really see this happening tho
  • Options
    gothergother Posts: 14,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nufc4life wrote: »
    well i wonder if channel one is going to close on the first as v has its last episode on Monday 27th and there isnt any other recent shows showing.
    But sonome said on here that it was closing on the first of feb, but i cant really see this happening tho

According to the voice over on the credits at the end of Supernatural. Channel one closes 31st January which i'd imagine is when the others close. But we'll see the 1st or 31st either way it's the end of an era with Bravo going too.
  • Options
    linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gother wrote: »
    According to the voice over on the credits at the end of Supernatural. Channel one closes 31st January which i'd imagine is when the others close. But we'll see the 1st or 31st either way it's the end of an era with Bravo going too.

And we're now in an era of tasteless tacky rebrands like GOLD, Watch, Atlantic, Sky2, SyFy.

Gone the good old days of Trouble, Granada Plus, Granada Men & Motors, Paramount Comedy, Hallmark channel, Sky One Mix. :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And we're now in an era of tasteless tacky rebrands like GOLD, Watch, Atlantic, Sky2, SyFy.

Gone the good old days of Trouble, Granada Plus, Granada Men & Motors, Paramount Comedy, Hallmark channel, Sky One Mix. :o

Watch and Sky Atlantic are NOT rebrands - they were/will be new channels. Sky One Mix was a stupid name and was made even worse when it was shortened to Sky Mix. Sky2 may be 'boring' but at least it fits in nicely with the other BSkyB channels. Although I do agree SyFi is silly and at least UKTV took a step in the right direction when dropping 'Geee Ohhh Elll Deee' and selected Gold.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watch and Sky Atlantic are NOT rebrands - they were/will be new channels. Sky One Mix was a stupid name and was made even worse when it was shortened to Sky Mix. Sky2 may be 'boring' but at least it fits in nicely with the other BSkyB channels. Although I do agree SyFi is silly and at least UKTV took a step in the right direction when dropping 'Geee Ohhh Elll Deee' and selected Gold.

I can see any new ownership wanting to rebrand UKTV again anyway. I doubt BBC had much of an input in dropping the UK branding as they now have clear BBC slides at the end and they use to say "Chosen by Watch and made from the BBC". :eek:

I remember UKTV Gold was Watch for about a year anyway showing new programmes then they decided to launch a new channel.
  • Options
    gothergother Posts: 14,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

SYFY has gone down the pan big time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gother wrote: »
    SYFY has gone down the pan big time.

Last thing I watched there was Knight Rider the updated one.
  • Options
    RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

When the HD signal is switched off, will the "free" HD channels still be available through the HD box eg BBC HD?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When the HD signal is switched off, will the "free" HD channels still be available through the HD box eg BBC HD?

yehh, you will get BBC 1 HD BBC HD ITV HD CH4 HD CH5 HD and LUXERY LIFE HD
  • Options
    TV DUNIYATV DUNIYA Posts: 6,772
    Forum Member
    ******Merry Christmas to everyone!!!********

Hope Santa brings you,what you want
This discussion has been closed.