✭✭
Maggie Maggie Maggie! :)
The race to finish second in the June '83 landslide............. :(:D

Comments

• Options
    morningmorning Posts: 17,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Typical Tories hankering after the good ole days. I guess that's why today's Big Bird has surrounded himself with fellow old Etonians. He's such a positive, sunshiny kinda guy.
  • Options
    CHUTNEYCHUTNEY Posts: 16,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My tongue is firmly in my cheek and I was too young to vote in the '83 election so don't blame me............ :mad: ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 215
    Forum Member
    Back on again today for the next 10 hours or so on BBC Parliament. Anchored by Dimbleby, gadgetry by a disconcertingly dark haired Peter Snow, and ably assisted by Robin Day who has a very grim-faced Neil Kinnock with him. Get on board psephology fans
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    darzog wrote: »
    Back on again today for the next 10 hours or so on BBC Parliament. Anchored by Dimbleby, gadgetry by a disconcertingly dark haired Peter Snow, and ably assisted by Robin Day who has a very grim-faced Neil Kinnock with him. Get on board psephology fans

The programme is far too long. BBC Parliament showed the 1970 election coverage the other week and it only lasted about twenty minutes. That was more like it.
  • Options
    JillyJilly Posts: 20,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Recording it so I can dip in and out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This was the election victory that owed everything to the member for Buenos Aires Central. The campaign strategist General Galtieri.
  • Options
    JillyJilly Posts: 20,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This was the election victory that owed everything to the member for Buenos Aires Central. The campaign strategist General Galtieri.

So you think Michael Foot could have been Prime Minister?
  • Options
    SouthCitySouthCity Posts: 12,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Labour contributed to their heavy defeat in 1983, they had an unelectable leader and a defence policy which was nonsense.

The "Falklands effect" helped Maggie but given the state of the economy it should have been much closer.
  • Options
    SpotSpot Posts: 25,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maggie and Denis having a friendly exchange with Lord Sutch there! He always stood in the PM's constituency.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Actually other big factors were
    1) The rise of the SDP/Lib Alliance
    2) The state of Labour

Thatcher may have increased the number of seats from 1979 (397 vs 339) but her share of the vote actually went down by 1.5%.

Had the Falklands not happened she would have won in 1983 though maybe by not as much, though had the war been lost it's hard to see how she could have survived with a lot of the Tory votes going to the SDP.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SouthCity wrote: »
    Labour contributed to their heavy defeat in 1983, they had an unelectable leader and a defence policy which was nonsense.

The "Falklands effect" helped Maggie but given the state of the economy it should have been much closer.

You've only got to look at the opinion polls of the time. Before the Argentians invaded the Tories were in third place in some polls. Just the announcement Britain was going to send a taskforce turned things around for Thatcher and by the autumn the Tories were twenty points ahead of second place.

Gallup Daily Telegraph 1982-18th Jan
    Tories 27.5 Labour 29.5 SDP-Lib 39.5

The Falklands were retaken on 14th June 1982

MORI 1982-23rd June
    Tories 51 Labour 24 SDP-Lib 23
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Actually other big factors were
    1) The rise of the SDP/Lib Alliance
    2) The state of Labour

Thatcher may have increased the number of seats from 1979 (397 vs 339) but her share of the vote actually went down by 1.5%.

Had the Falklands not happened she would have won in 1983 though maybe by not as much, though had the war been lost it's hard to see how she could have survived with a lot of the Tory votes going to the SDP.

But for the Falklands the election would have been in 1984 with Thatcher going right into the buffers postponing defeat till the last possible moment. Saying otherwise flies in the face of the opinion polls of the time (see my above post).
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David Owen beats someone called Ann Widdecombe. I wonder whatever happened to her?
  • Options
    Get Den WattsGet Den Watts Posts: 6,039
    Forum Member
    It's funny when you watch these election nights from Labour's wilderness years and you see Labour spokesperson after spokesperson blaming everyone but themselves for the defeat.
  • Options
    John DoughJohn Dough Posts: 146,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    David Owen beats someone called Ann Widdecombe. I wonder whatever happened to her?

Got married,had a couple of kids and did a bit of 'dancing' on telleh........:o:sleep:
  • Options
    Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, the days when the Conservative party actually used to get a majority at an election. I wonder if they ever will again.
  • Options
    John DoughJohn Dough Posts: 146,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wasn't 83 Blair's first appearance on the scene?:confused:
    If we'd only known then what we know now...........:mad:
  • Options
    northantsgirlnorthantsgirl Posts: 4,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's funny when you watch these election nights from Labour's wilderness years and you see Labour spokesperson after spokesperson blaming everyone but themselves for the defeat.

As will the Tory spokespeople on Election Night 2015.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tony King described Labour's vote as "a tennis ball falling down a flight of stairs".

There's David Owen, like David Miliband, a young Labour foreign secretary who never fulfilled his potential.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did anyone notice the losing Labour candidate in Richmond and Barnes - one Nigel Keith Anthony Standish Vaz? I don't think I saw him on the platform as the camera had panned in too far, but I had no idea he had stood in 1983 in a safe Conservative seat.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Spot wrote: »
    Did anyone notice the losing Labour candidate in Richmond and Barnes - one Nigel Keith Anthony Standish Vaz? I don't think I saw him on the platform as the camera had panned in too far, but I had no idea he had stood in 1983 in a safe Conservative seat.

These programmes are good for seeing the faces of the future. It was pretty normal practice to do a run-out in a safe seat of your opponents before getting in yourself.

Dimbleby talked about the next election coming up "in 1888". :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I was in London last week I walked round Smith Square, where both Conservative and Labour HQs once were - though I think Labour might have moved out to Walworth Road by 1983?

Anyway it was absolutely deserted and I had the place pretty much to myself, and I did actually think of these election re-runs and the crowds of reporters outside the building which was once such a hub of political activity. It's fun to go round and look at these old places which have seen such history.
  • Options
    northantsgirlnorthantsgirl Posts: 4,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spot wrote: »

How times change. Richmond is no longer a safe Conservative seat. They only nabbed it back last time by going for a greenish moderniser
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The 83 election setpieces were dull. You had that brown background and Peter Snow sitting down by a computer screen, instead of standing up beside a large screen with the battleground on it. Even the fonts seemed uninspired. John Cole (the Political Editor) was nowhere to be seen until the early hours of the morning.