Forum Member
    Not in the opinion of the people who decide who is nominated though

No sh*t, Sherlock :p:o
  • thewaywardbusthewaywardbus Posts: 2,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    konebyvax wrote: »
    No sh*t, Sherlock :p:o

Yes, but this was in reply to a deluded poster who thinks she should automatically receive a nomination
  • DRAGON LANCEDRAGON LANCE Posts: 1,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Uuuuuuuuhhhhhhhh give it a rest with the Oscars can do no wrong thewaywardbus. I totally fail to see how expressing his own opinion makes Makson a "deluded poster."

That argument we ended up having before when I linked the 100% fact based story about somebody tried to discredit Lana at the last Oscars, with a fake letter sent to voters, shows your quite zealous yourself when it comes to what you love. Responding with silly comments about me spreading a "conspiracy theory" when I had linked a news story that proved this seemed rather odd too (how is something a "theory" when physical evidence exists of what happened)?

Also its not just Makson that thinks Lana has been unfairly snubbed, a number of publications have come out in support such as Time magazine (are they credible enough for you?):
    http://time.com/3669004/oscars-2015-lana-del-rey-snub/

Finally, whether the songs are good enough is subjective to what we personally think anyway, but against tunes that did get through I think you'd have to have a major taste bypass to suggest Lana's songs weren't good enough. Are you seriously saying such classics as "Everything is Awesome" from The Lego Movie are more deserving? Pur-lease.

I suspect Rhinestone Cowboy Glenn Campbell will win because his song about him slowly degenerating from his Alzheimer condition is just too darned emotive, even if its not perhaps the best song. Shucks even I would be sad if he doesn't get the Oscar :(.

And just to big up what Oscar does well (film nominations) its great to see Grand Budapest Hotel riding high in the nominations as I thought that was the best film of last year :).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ooo and I'll just add to that, on a more positive note at least Lana has made the Brit Nominations. Suspect Taylor Swift's name is already written on the award, but it further reinforces that the UK appreciates Lana :).
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, but this was in reply to a deluded poster who thinks she should automatically receive a nomination

I'm sorry for posting here:(
  • TH14TH14 Posts: 11,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is a pleasant surprise. I really enjoyed UV although not as much as BTD. It does make you wonder about the reason why she's putting new music out so soon
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please keep doing so Makson, you make excellent comments whenever you do!

Have you seen this about James Franco letting some details out about the film he wants to make with Lana:
    http://www.inquisitr.com/1763330/james-franco-thinks-lana-del-ray-isnt-made-for-this-earth-solicits-singer-in-new-essay/
    She has this idea for a film,” James writes of Lana. “I want to do it because it’s a little like ‘Sunset Boulevard.'”
    A woman is alone in a big house in L.A. She doesn’t want to go out. She starts to go crazy, and becomes paranoid because she feels like people are watching her. Even in her own house. It’s like an awesome B-movie that lives in Lana’s head. It’s about her, and it’s not about her. Just like her music.”

Sounds intriguing.

Edit: Should have thought to look here first, fansite has the full Franco essay:
    http://lanadelreyfan.com/james-franco-talks-about-lana-del-rey-for-v-magazine/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK on the board there's been a lot of talk of Lana returning to the Born To Die sound with the new album, which I personally don't think will be the case. Main reason for that is because she's got Mark Ronson instead of BTD's Emile Haynie as producer.

However she has re-teamed with her good friend Mr Haynie for this lovely little song that will be appearing on his album. Spot the Born To Die sampled guitars and screechy echoes playing through it:

http://www.stereogum.com/1730013/emile-haynie-wait-for-life-feat-lana-del-rey/mp3s/

Hopefully Emile didn't have to kidnap Lana and hold her at knife point to perform on the song as the accompanying photo suggests :D!
  • LMLM Posts: 63,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Been rather quiet regarding Lana lately.
  • FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surprising if she's really putting an album out this summer. One would think she would be starting to reappear again soon.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FMKK wrote: »
    Surprising if she's really putting an album out this summer. One would think she would be starting to reappear again soon.

I agree

One would expect a lead single by next month.
  • IsThisHappinessIsThisHappiness Posts: 7,580
    Forum Member
    I agree

One would expect a lead single by next month.

Why?

So many artists these days jus drop the album. I think Lana is the type of artist to benefit from that too.

Whats the point in her releasing a lead? She doesn't do radio-friendly songs, she does meaningful, unique songs and releasing a song that will get little airplay, and pop into the top 20 on iTunes for a few hours wont sell the album any more than a surprise release.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok guys, it's starting.

Lana created a new instagram - Honeymoon

https://instagram.com/honeymoon/

Honeymoon Welcome to my wild world. My Dark City- My Dark People.

Neil Krug her photographer posted last week a picture of hers and called it - eclipse

https://instagram.com/p/0gDXMwQ-bt/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love that line of "Honeymoon Welcome to my wild world. My Dark City- My Dark People." What a way to set the scene for the new album.

I think Lana has been quiet recently because she's just giving everyone else out there a chance. I mean you can't dominate music every day of the week otherwise you'll make that old hag from Sonic Youth even more jealous, she might have to moan about her even more in her next book ;-).

Seriously, I think the real reason is she's just putting the finishing touches to the content of the album. According to this interview with Mark Ronson they are recording in LA. Its on its way:

http://www.interviewmagazine.com/music/mark-ronson/#_
    Q-TIP: What are you doing in L.A.?

Mark RONSON: I'm going to do some recording with Lana Del Rey today and tomorrow. I found this cool old studio out here.

Q-TIP: Are you producing?

RONSON: I don't know. She has some songs and I said I had some demo ideas, and if they are any good, then maybe she'll like them and we'll go from there.

Other fun Lana things from the last few months:

Pictured with Matt Bellamy of Muse, possible musical collaboration on the way?
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2944863/Lana-Del-Rey-Kate-Hudson-s-ex-Matt-Bellamy-Starbucks-coffee-run-quickly-separate-spotted.html

And OK it was a corporate photo shoot for Billboards "Power 100" but didn't she just effortlessly steal the show. Lana's fans love simply calling her "Queen" or "Dark Queen" and that photo shoot she does have a regal appearance about her.

http://www.gigwise.com/news/97907/lana-del-rey-and-kanye-west-feature-on-billboards-power-100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if her tour with Courtney Love is still going ahead.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Stateside "Endless Tour" with Courtney is definitely still going ahead. Seems its had such a good response in ticket sales Lana's added further dates and recruited Grimes in place of Courtney as support act for the extra concert dates:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/lana-del-rey-recruits-grimes-for-endless-summer-tour-20150401

Should be a great show.

No word on UK/European shows. Barring us getting invaded by Russia or an Ebola crisis I have a feeling she'll play the various music festivals.
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    Is something about to happen with regards to new music from Lana? Reason I ask is BTD has been discounted WW (Interscope, like Lana, seem to have given up on the brilliant UV >:(). WW discounting of 'previous' work normally signals a record company readying a new release. But what could it be? :confused:

Talking of BTD, check out its current worldwide iTunes positions (this album is almost 3.5 years old! :o:o)
    Album: Born to Die
    #1 Spain :o:D
    #2 Finland
    #2 Slovakia
    #3 Austria
    #3 Russia
    #4 Hong Kong
    #5 Estonia
    #5 Taiwan
    #6 Poland
    #7 Denmark
    #7 Switzerland
    #7 Turkey
    #9 Belgium
    #10 Luxembourg
    #10 Netherlands
    #12 Germany
    #12 New Zealand
    #15 Cyprus
    #17 United Kingdom
    #19 Italy
    #20 Norway
    #21 Indonesia
    #22 Ireland
    #29 Romania
    #32 Hungary
    #33 Latvia
    #33 Malta
    #33 Slovenia
    #34 Australia
    #34 Lebanon
    #36 Mexico
    #36 Singapore
    #37 Brazil
    #37 Czech Republic
    #37 Macau
    #44 Greece
    #46 Thailand
    #52 Lithuania
    #65 Bulgaria
    #77 Mauritius
    #81 El Salvador
    #82 Portugal
    #91 Russia
    #113 Israel
    #135 Paraguay
    #141 Moldova
    #153 Jordan
    #197 Chile
    #198 France
    #201 Kenya

http://kworb.net/itunes/artist/lanadelrey.html
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow! Those sales positions and the fact that it still generates interest after all this time just further ram’s home that Born to Die is one of THE classic albums of all time.

Everything does seems to indicate Honeymoon is on the horizon. That said I don't want to make any predictions as to when. After all the fuss last time over UV with everybody from fans to various members of the Grant family dropping red herrings as to what the release date would be this time I’ll just sit back, let Lana get her next classic album right and enjoy the results when its ready for us to listen to it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's a real shame she abandoned Ultraviolence so quickly because some of her best work is on there. Cruel World should have been a single. Her second era came and went so fast it almost seems like a bit of a waste in the end.

However, I am so excited for more work from her so at the same time Honeymoon can't come soon enough!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It does make me wonder if Lana didn't like the album or maybe something occurred behind the scenes. UV really did come and go.

And lovely to see BTD has seen a boost.
  • SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow! Those sales positions and the fact that it still generates interest after all this time just further ram’s home that Born to Die is one of THE classic albums of all time.

Lol, let's not go nuts. It's not even Del Rey's best album.
  • IsThisHappinessIsThisHappiness Posts: 7,580
    Forum Member
    It does make me wonder if Lana didn't like the album or maybe something occurred behind the scenes. UV really did come and go.

And lovely to see BTD has seen a boost.

I think it's because the label didn't believe in the album at all. Such a shame.
    Semierotic wrote: »
    Lol, let's not go nuts. It's not even Del Rey's best album.

It's not her best album, but it's definitely a classic for me.
  • SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Contrary to some opinion, UV didn't have many - if any - obvious singles. One of the common complaints against the album was its perpetual mid-tempo feel. I like the record but it's not like anything jumps out as a killer radio smash.
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    It's a sign of her legacy (already) that her second best album is still a classic of its genre. She's an unbelievable talent.

Edit: semierotic, I agree with you regarding UV not having any obvious singles on it. I'm sure that was her and Auerbach's intention also. IMO UV was Lana showing she is not the one trick pony many of the music press saw her as. A surprising departure from what had gone before and brilliant all the same...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    UV was different and I liked that. It lacked a commericial vibe which I also liked. People wanted a BTD 2.0 and thankfully she never did it. She's no label puppet. She Wasn't even happy with her label for doing the dance remix of Summetime sadness. She was quoted in saying "it ruins the message and emotion of the song", or something like that. She was right. But people are fools. They will take anything with a dance beat to it, like a duck to water.