Options

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell

Comments

• Options
    moonlilymoonlily Posts: 7,893
    Forum Member
    I hoped Gillian Anderson would be Lady Pole, I always imagined her in the role. Looking forward to this.
  • Options
    daziechaindaziechain Posts: 12,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We are very excited ... bring it on!
  • Options
    haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am so excited. I love this book. Several years ago on the Friends of English Magic forum I suggested Marc Warren would be the ideal casting for the gentleman with thistle down hair and my wish has been granted !
    Can't wait.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    moonlily wrote: »
    I hoped Gillian Anderson would be Lady Pole, I always imagined her in the role. Looking forward to this.

Great actress but too old for the part.
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did some digging around and it turns out this was filmed back in late 2013.
    Why they have waited so long to air it?

Anyway, i am looking forward to it. I think it starts this month. I love Eddie Marsan.
  • Options
    ChrisEChrisE Posts: 1,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Anyway, i am looking forward to it. I think it starts this month. I love Eddie Marsan.

It was announced October 2013, not filmed then.

It certainly looks the part but I fear it will not rate well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ChrisE wrote: »
    It was announced October 2013, not filmed then.

It certainly looks the part but I fear it will not rate well.

No it was not

It was announced in 2012, and was filmed in 2013.

This is the press release from October 2013 regarding cast and when production begins. Marc Warren filmed this before he filmed Series 2 of The Musketeers which was filmed in 2014. He wouldn't be able to do both at the same time.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2013/jonathan-strange-mr-norrell-bbc-one-casting-release
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No it was not

It was announced in 2012, and was filmed in 2013.

This is the press release from October 2013 regarding cast and when production begins. Marc Warren filmed this before he filmed Series 2 of The Musketeers which was filmed in 2014. He wouldn't be able to do both at the same time.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2013/jonathan-strange-mr-norrell-bbc-one-casting-release

If you read the release it was updated, with the cast in March 2014.

So it can't have been filmed in 2013.
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you read the release it was updated, with the cast in March 2014.

So it can't have been filmed in 2013.

Not sure what was updated in the article in 2014 but filming did start in October 2013.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Strange_%26_Mr_Norrell_(TV_series)#Production
    On 23 October 2013, a read-through of the script took place.[8] Filming began on 28 October 2013 in Yorkshire, Canada and Croatia.[2]
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »
    Not sure what was updated in the article in 2014 but filming did start in October 2013.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Strange_%26_Mr_Norrell_(TV_series)#Production

Thank you

People are so disbelieving.
  • Options
    Alleycat666Alleycat666 Posts: 8,737
    Forum Member
    Looking forward to this - been a while since I read the book so I'm a bit rusty on the detail but the trailers all look good so far.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you

People are so disbelieving.

It started filming late 2013 but filming was still taking place, in Yorkshire, in March 2014, when taking into account post production there is no way this has been ready since 2013, as you originally stated.

It was a 16 week shoot in Yorkshire.

http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/11040695.Filming_begins_at_York_Minster_for_BBC_historical_drama/?ref=mry
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It started filming late 2013 but filming was still taking place, in Yorkshire, in March 2014, when taking into account post production there is no way this has been ready since 2013, as you originally stated.

It was a 16 week shoot in Yorkshire.

http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/11040695.Filming_begins_at_York_Minster_for_BBC_historical_drama/?ref=mry

I never said it was ready. I said it was filmed in 2013. Obviously it continued filming into 2014. But i wasn't wrong. Stop being so argumentative and difficult.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never said it was ready. I said it was filmed in 2013. Obviously it continued filming into 2014. But i wasn't wrong. Stop being so argumentative and difficult.

Sorry you feel I'm being difficult for pointing to the facts.

I won't do it again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's starting next Sunday 17 May. I'm really excited as I love the book.
    The casting looks pretty good from the trailer (particularly the wonderful Marc Warren).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I guess there had to be a lot of post production work and CGI for the magical effects.

I'm glad that they have made it into a series not a film as there would have been too much to squeeze into a single film. Films in multiple parts are a bit annoying as you have to wait so long to see the next part.
  • Options
    SmintSmint Posts: 4,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking forward to this - been a while since I read the book so I'm a bit rusty on the detail but the trailers all look good so far.

Same here. I hope they cut out some of the war descriptions - they dragged rather a lot for me

Trailers look good - although I thought his hair would be more thistledowny (Picky? Moi? :D)
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Smint wrote: »
    Same here. I hope they cut out some of the war descriptions - they dragged rather a lot for me

Trailers look good - although I thought his hair would be more thistledowny (Picky? Moi? :D)

I must admit my first thought was - his hair isn't thistledowny enough!

Other than that, though, the trailers look amazing. I read the book ages ago, and loved it. I hope the TV series does it justice - can't wait!

Arabella is one of my favourite characters. Who is playing her, anyone know?
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Arabella is one of my favourite characters. Who is playing her, anyone know?

Charlotte Riley :)
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »
    Charlotte Riley :)

Thank you. I don't know her - I'll look her up. She'd better be good! ;-)
  • Options
    daziechaindaziechain Posts: 12,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The trailers all look brilliant .. Eddie Marsan is always fantastic! At first I thought that Marc Warren didn't look thistledowny enough but have got used to him already. It's one of my favourite books ever .. hope it'll be one of my favourite adaptations too :) Glad they're giving it the time and space it needs. Seven hours of brilliance .. hopefully!
  • Options
    miaowmiaow Posts: 8,495
    Forum Member
    I can't wait to see this! I love the book. I'm glad it's a few years since I read it though, hopefully I won't notice all the bits they leave out! And I think Marc Warren is perfect casting.

I wish she would write more...
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a bit surprised this ended up on BBC1 and Wolf Hall on BBC2 rather than the other way around.
  • Options
    Daniel DareDaniel Dare Posts: 3,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dodrade wrote: »
    I'm a bit surprised this ended up on BBC1 and Wolf Hall on BBC2 rather than the other way around.

BBC2 was devised to host the more educational and informing programmes focusing on the arts, culture, highbrow drama and comedy, leaving BBC1 to concentrate more on variety and entertainment (but not totally disregarding its educational aspects), so Wolf Hall sat quite at home on BBC2.
    Saying that, BBC2 has a penchant for showing oddball stuff with the likes of The League of Gentlemen, Inside No.9, etc. so yes, the gothic strangeness of JS&MrN would have sat quite comfortably on BBC2.
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm intending to watch this but haven't read the book so could those of you who have read the book try to avoid giving anything away

Thank you kindly