Options

Is Gordon Ramsay a bully?

Comments

• Options
    ChoccyCaroleChoccyCarole Posts: 8,867
    Forum Member
    I would say he is
    I think he is a very bad influence in the kitchen
    as I think others will think it is OK to aggressively swear in people's faces - and go into a rage
    A kitchen can be a dangerous place without feeling it is ok to display such OTT red faced anger and tantrum style tempers
    A very bad mix with knives and hot skillets everywhere
  • Options
    Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    I would say he is
    as I think others will think it is OK to aggressively swear in people's faces - and go into a rage
    A kitchen can be a dangerous place without feeling it is ok to display such OTT red faced anger and tantrum style tempers
    A very bad mix with knives and hot skillets everywhere

Lol the sooner people realise that someone being on tv doesn't make them a role model or responsible for other people's idiocy the better.

Really just how dumb would someone have to be to try and use the line "but Gordon Ramsey does it", to justify any behaviour of their own. Answer: too dumb to matter!
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,919
    Forum Member
    Yes he is a bully,it does not matter if he is playing the part for TV, it is reality TV the contestants he bullys feels the same emotional pain and embarrasment as anyone else would if you like in the "real world" cant stand him.

Are you saying reality tv is the same as normal life?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can still remember when Amanda Barrie clocked him one :D
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd say it's a TV persona, but he has to enjoy it at some level to keep doing it. From what I have seen of him and his recipes he's a very good cook and not pretentious about it.
  • Options
    Eater SundaeEater Sundae Posts: 10,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    duckylucky wrote: »
    I am at a loss as to why anyone would adopt that kind of persona ? Why pretend to be a bully if you are really a docile sweetie ?
    Yes , from what I see of Ramsey he is a bully .

Three people on TV who make me instantly turn off or over are Gordon Ramsey , Keith Lemon and Jeremy Clarkson , all three are complete prats

All three are playing invented characters. Keith Lemon was the only one sensible enough to invent a new name as well.
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would say he is

It's

Not

Real

honestly. EastEnders, Hells kitchen, Wrestlemania - ARE NOT DOCUMENTARIES.

<<I'm sorry for shouting>>

We should not be worrying about the bad influence of Darth Maul
  • Options
    technology_lovetechnology_love Posts: 3,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to think he was a bully and arrogant knob.
    Then I read his autobiography "Humble Pie" and changed my mind. The guy had one hell of an upbringing.

If you believe he is the same in real life as TV then you rally will believe anything.

Read his book.
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really like the bloke - he is great when not playing up to his persona for his television shows.

That people cannot separate the two is rather worrying.

He has worked so bloody hard to become one of the best chefs in the world.
  • Options
    AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also, on a purely shallow note, I find his deeply crevassed face offensive to look at.

Come to think of it, I'm finding it hard to think of a TV chef I actually like.
  • Options
    BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Addisonian wrote: »
    Also, on a purely shallow note, I find his deeply crevassed face offensive to look at.

Come to think of it, I'm finding it hard to think of a TV chef I actually like.

He does kind of resemble one of those sharpei dogs.

What about The Hairy Bikers? They seem very down to earth.
  • Options
    Angela FAngela F Posts: 3,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    duckylucky wrote: »
    I am at a loss as to why anyone would adopt that kind of persona ? Why pretend to be a bully if you are really a docile sweetie ?
    Yes , from what I see of Ramsey he is a bully .

Three people on TV who make me instantly turn off or over are Gordon Ramsey , Keith Lemon and Jeremy Clarkson , all three are complete prats

Me too,
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, no need to be so nasty, it's only cooking
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,919
    Forum Member
    dd68 wrote: »
    Yes, no need to be so nasty, it's only cooking

No need to be so serious, it's only reality tv.
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    idlewilde wrote: »
    He has certainly capitalised on the image in later years as it has become expected of him. When you watch "Boiling Point" the first documentary he did that followed his efforts to establish his Michelin star restaurant, one wonders whether the really foul attitude he had in that was pretty much close to how he was as a chef before he became the more affable TV personality that he is now.

I suppose he has mellowed with age and having a family.
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    pugamo wrote: »
    I suppose he has mellowed with age and having a family.

Could be. He plays up to the character now because of expectation, but "Boiling Point" was his first foray into TV I think, so how much playing up did he do for that? That's what I often wonder when watching it. Was that how he actually was, or had he already cultivated his TV persona?
  • Options
    duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really like the bloke - he is great when not playing up to his persona for his television shows.

That people cannot separate the two is rather worrying.

He has worked so bloody hard to become one of the best chefs in the world.

Dont be worriied about me . People are aware he is on TV , we are not stupid . I see him on TV ,i dont know him otherwise . He uses his name Gordon Ramsey on Tv and its that we are talking about
    I find the Grdon Ramsey I see on my TV a horrible , foul mouthed git . I wouldnt tolerate that kind of behaviour in my life ever . Why people do is beyond me . What is also beyond me is why anyone would adopt a bullying nasty persona for themselves to market themselves
    Then again I have never understood the drive to be top dog and the drive for money and fame .
  • Options
    Hershal_GreeneHershal_Greene Posts: 759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah I have never wanted to be a leader.
  • Options
    Sun Tzu.Sun Tzu. Posts: 19,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He is at the top of his game for a reason. And stays at the top.
  • Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "that Pork Is So Effin Raw Its Still Singing Hakuna Matata...."
  • Options
    Hershal_GreeneHershal_Greene Posts: 759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nobody ever seems to be able to cook scollops or beef wellington on HK!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nobody ever seems to be able to cook scollops or beef wellington on HK!

I know! It's like no contestant has EVER watched previous seasons of the show. It's not like Iron Chef where there's a mystery ingredient. Meat generally seems to be the thing that separates the serious chefs from the average ones. Being able to cook a steak to order or get lamb just right takes timing and precision.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How can he be a bully, he's done an anti-bullying advert:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IWChTYfBhbE

:kitty:
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did a small amount of work with Ramsay when he was filming a show. What struck me was how driven he was, take after take was reshot if he wasn't happy with it (generally faulting his own performance). no breaks, no chatter, get on and do the job. Certainly not someone to tolerate fools!

That said once the shoot was complete he completely changed, relaxed, taking photos with members of public etc.
  • Options
    MinnieMinzMinnieMinz Posts: 4,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JulesF wrote: »
    Yes, he's often extremely sympathetic and courteous to the people he's helping, unless they're lazy sods.

What is all this tedious obsession with bullies and bullying? Why have we turned into a nation of such pathetic crybabies that we cannot even cope with an obviously exaggerated TV persona?

Apparently so :p I love watching him on Hells Kitchen and American Masterchef (which is way better than our Masterchef).