Keira Knightley - does anyone rate her as an actress?

13»

Comments

• Mrs SprattMrs Spratt Posts: 4,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muggsy wrote: »
    I thought she was very good in Love Actually.

She didn't get in Andrew Lincoln's way at all, just stood around and let him get on with the acting.

:D

That's not fair - I thought the bit where she was watching a video of herself and admired her own looks was very convincing.

(Even though in the 'going away' bits of the video she looked like a small child waving out of a ride at the funfair rather than a woman going on honeymoon with the man she loves.)

I've nothing against the woman, I just don't think she can act and unlike Andie MacDowell who has also ruined several films for me I can't really see her as much of a beauty either because she is far too thin.

But I blame the directors for giving her parts - and presumably they do that because a lot of people do like watching her in films! You can't expect anyone to turn down the opportunity to play Lizzie Bennett if it's offered.
  • allie4allie4 Posts: 11,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I kind of feel sorry for Keira. She really should have been a model instead of an 'actress'.
    She's got good bones - many find her really beautiful but that's it!
    She's so one dimensional - can't imagine her with an accent or playing anything but a pretty ingenue. And now I think actresses with real talent are beginning to overtake her.
    While she's 'box office' she'll still get good parts but I do think her star is beginning to wane.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,485
    Forum Member
    Here's quite a funny spoof of her by someone who is an unknown, I think

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTu7TI3EUDQ
  • spaceygalspaceygal Posts: 3,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw Keira on the stage in Children's Hour recently, in London, and she was very good. Held her own against great actresses like Ellen Burstyn and Elisabeth Moss. But I don't think she's award worthy or anything. She did have some really good dramatic scenes in the second half though, that impressed me. Better actress than I'd imagined. Maybe the stage is where she's excels as she was certainly better in that play than in any film I've seen her in. She should do more plays.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 712
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Keira is a fantastic actress and is absolutely stunning. She has done so much in her short career and has the acting ability to match anyone out there. She was amazing in the Duchess, and just wonderful in Pirates. This girl beat lots of actresses for that part when she was relatively unknown. Just shows what a great screen presence she has. By far my favourite actress working today. Bloody love her.
  • cazzzcazzz Posts: 12,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DaniA wrote: »
    Nope - all she does is pout. And she isn't a patch on Jennifer Ehle as Lizzie Bennet.

spot on post.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    I dont rate her much as an actress ,havent been too impressed with anything Ive seen her in and dont really know why she's had such big roles.

Last film I saw her in was Never Let Me Go and I thought Carey Mulligan by comparison was fantastic.

She is probably very pretty in real life but I find the constant pouty thing quite offputting too
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She always has this forced pout on that annoys me. Her acting is also quite wooden and generic. She doesn't bring any special qualities to the role's she undertakes. Its like she's following some sort of 'acting manual' that she got on ebay.
  • SG-1SG-1 Posts: 16,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like her.

Loved her in never let me go and she did the job in POTC.

Not a fan of the more arty british period drama films so I cant comment on her ability/or not to act in those roles but in the films I have seen her in I think she is fine,theres not a lot of actresses these days that make you think of superstar qualities in acting,I think the idea of hollywood legends like we had in years past died off when the hollywood star system died

The female stars these days I really dont rate,especially when it comes to British actresses.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    I think she is a beautiful woman ,a bit thin but stunning features.

As an actress however ,she does have a limited range.
    Good in Atonement
    P&P she didn't have Lizzie's wit IMO.I didn't enjoy it at all

Enjoyed her performance in the Duchess ,though again is you read the character in the book, the shortcomings are obvious ,but is that down to the direction, or pressure to casting?

Wooden in Pirates.

I know that she is only 24, but if you compare her to Kate Winslet ,who was very young when she was in Titanic, well.... I rest my case

Let's hope she mirrors La Winslet