Debbie Harry slams 'too overtly sexual' Christina

Comments

• PaacePaace Posts: 14,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Debbie Harry was a raunchy performer in her day. What's wrong with some raunch?
    The continental performers have a much saner attitude to raunch and are no worse for it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 375
    Forum Member
    i wish people would get off the 'hate xtina' bandwagon. i just don't get all this hate recently and i think out of all the talentless people around why people have to start hating on someone who is actually talented and not a fame wh**e like other popstars.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pinkii wrote: »
    i wish people would get off the 'hate xtina' bandwagon. i just don't get all this hate recently and i think out of all the talentless people around why people have to start hating on someone who is actually talented and not a fame wh**e like other popstars.

Christina (thnaks to Parasite Hiltons hate campaign) seems to be under seige which is quite the laugh really. Gaga shoves her fanny in the camera in the Telephone video and Harry wants to be a coward and single out Christina as an example?
    I know why she didn't use Gaga to make her point. Gagas fanbase would've turned up at her gigs with baseball bats and she knows it. :D
  • Miss_MooMiss_Moo Posts: 8,997
    Forum Member
    Christina (thnaks to Parasite Hiltons hate campaign) seems to be under seige which is quite the laugh really. Gaga shoves her fanny in the camera in the Telephone video and Harry wants to be a coward and single out Christina as an example?
    I know why she didn't use Gaga to make her point. Gagas fanbase would've turned up at her gigs with baseball bats and she knows it. :D

It was a body double. :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 375
    Forum Member

LOL exactly...you have gaga in her underwear dancing around and Beyonce peformed in her underwear at EMA's and in most videos she is barely clothes and no one said anything and praised it. Xtina always gets slack from everyone and its not fair, she is the one who gets named yet she isn't the only one doing it. :(
  • FringoFringo Posts: 7,995
    Forum Member
    LOL exactly...you have gaga in her underwear dancing around and Beyonce peformed in her underwear at EMA's and in most videos she is barely clothes and no one said anything and praised it. Xtina always gets slack from everyone and its not fair, she is the one who gets named yet she isn't the only one doing it. :(

Oh yes, poor Xtina, she'll be hating the publicity - like every other campaign.

It's fine that DH thinks this or that others do - it's major hype that really works for Xtina.
  • intoxicationintoxication Posts: 7,059
    Forum Member
    Although Christina's new video is OTT it's not really unsurprising from her. She did do Dirrty after all. But I agree with what DH says about her and the other artists. They are all trying too hard. Beyonce tries to get around it by reverting to her alter ego (quite clever, she can maintain a good christian girl image while rolling around on the floor in her underwear) but even she comes across as fake (and i HATE her new video. Why are you smoking, Beyonce? You don't in real life, do you? :rolleyes:)

What do you all think about Pink? She's one female artist I can think of that sometimes wears not a lot in her videos and concerts but manages not to come across as desperate or trying too hard.
  • Stupid_HeadStupid_Head Posts: 37,826
    Forum Member

The whole point is, Christina has the best voice out of all this generations other "entertainers" and shouldn't have to go down to their level to stay relevant, her voice should be enough to sell her records like Alicia Keys for example.

Kelly Clarkson and P!NK are both good examples of females who don't feel the need to compete with the sluttier girls in the popworld and are still successful.
  • intoxicationintoxication Posts: 7,059
    Forum Member
    The whole point is, Christina has the best voice out of all this generations other "entertainers" and shouldn't have to go down to their level to stay relevant, her voice should be enough to sell her records like Alicia Keys for example.

Kelly Clarkson and P!NK are both good examples of females who don't feel the need to compete with the sluttier girls in the popworld and are still successful.

But like I said in my above post Pink doesn't always wear a whole lot in her videos or her concerts. And she's sung songs about sex and masturbation on her albums.. so is it more to do with attitude and the fact she has a clear head on her? I believe with her what you see is what you get. All the other 'sluttier' ones, I don't buy into. Don't know if that's how anyone else sees it..
  • tauran_shammytauran_shammy Posts: 5,847
    Forum Member
    Miss_Moo wrote: »
    She may of been a playboy bunny before she was famous.

IMO, and I say this as a straight female, the sexiest thing about Debbie Harry is her face and attitude and even in the topless photo my eyes were instantly drawn to her face. She oozes sex appeal and it's nothing to do with stripping off. People like CA and Miley Cyrus have to do things to be sexy and all Debbie Harry had to do was stand there.

Well said. These modern girls are trying to hard to be sexy that it just becomes tacky and run of the mill. Christina looks a lot more attractive as a brunette anyway.
    As for the latest video, why does she have to put on the lady gaga act?
  • tauran_shammytauran_shammy Posts: 5,847
    Forum Member
    Miss_Moo wrote: »
    It was a body double. :o

yeah we all know gaga's got a dick.....:D
  • Stupid_HeadStupid_Head Posts: 37,826
    Forum Member
    But like I said in my above post Pink doesn't always wear a whole lot in her videos or her concerts. And she's sung songs about sex and masturbation on her albums.. so is it more to do with attitude and the fact she has a clear head on her? I believe with her what you see is what you get. All the other 'sluttier' ones, I don't buy into. Don't know if that's how anyone else sees it..

When you see P!NK not wearing much in a video it feels like it is all her choice, it isn't put in there to shock the watchers or for guys to ogle her like it is with Rihanna or Britney or someone like that.

It says a lot when Kelly and P!NK probably have the best voices around in the pop, aside from Christina (imo) and keep a relatively low profile but are still successful doing what they do. Kelly less so this time around but she has had major success with past albums and kept her clothes on.
  • minxymoominxymoo Posts: 26,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yep totally agree..great point..its a cheap shot coming from a woman whos face looks like its collapsing in on itself ,,saw Xtina on American Idol the other week and she looked fabulous sexy and classy so boo to you Ms Harry;)
  • xAries_1990xxAries_1990x Posts: 2,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well said. These modern girls are trying to hard to be sexy that it just becomes tacky and run of the mill. Christina looks a lot more attractive as a brunette anyway.
    As for the latest video, why does she have to put on the lady gaga act?

Even Lady Gaga isn't that sexual though. Wearing not very many clothes do not always=sexual, you can be naked and not be sexual or sexy. Like someone else said, Pink often wears very little clothes in her music videos, but they don't come across as that sexual, the same with Lady Gaga.

Imo Christina has the best voice out of all the pop stars right now and she shouldn't need to try and sell her songs by being "sexy" and trying to arrouse people with her music videos. I actually find her video a bit uncomfortable to watch with parents and family and I've never felt like that watching any other pop stars' videos.

It's a shame she felt the need to take this route as she really shouldn't need to.
  • Squealer_MahonySquealer_Mahony Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member

It's a shame she felt the need to take this route as she really shouldn't need to.

in theory she shouldn't need to,
    She may have the voice but right now she doesn't have the songs or the charisma to get noticed, which is a shame.

I haven't heard her new album, admittedly, but the first single is not strong and without the so called "shocking" video it would've disappeared off the radar long ago.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can blame this woman for taking it too far in the first place and now, it seems every female singer practically has to take it further:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyhdvRWEWRw
  • xAries_1990xxAries_1990x Posts: 2,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She may have the voice but right now she doesn't have the songs or the charisma to get noticed, which is a shame.

I haven't heard her new album, admittedly, but the first single is not strong and without the so called "shocking" video it would've disappeared off the radar long ago.

I agree, I'm disappointed with her new songs tbh as I loved her older stuff. Maybe if she had better songs she wouldn't make videos like this as she wouldn't feel the need to?
  • minxymoominxymoo Posts: 26,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Xtina hasnt been overtly sexual since her "Dirrty" days..i can think of far more explicit female performers ..Peaches for example and most female RnB singers release some pretty nasty songs..far nastier than Xtina or Britney.. :)
  • Dennis CDennis C Posts: 1,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You're probably right. I'm waiting for the two-disc version of the new album to arrive from Play, and I'm wishing her well, but I doubt very much it'll be up to the level of Back To Basics if this is the way she's promoting it.
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,956
    Forum Member
    Dennis C wrote: »
    You're probably right. I'm waiting for the two-disc version of the new album to arrive from Play, and I'm wishing her well, but I doubt very much it'll be up to the level of Back To Basics if this is the way she's promoting it.

mine arrived yesterday but I ordered from HMV. You should get your copy tomorrow morning, Play try to get pre-ordered items out on the day of release. :)
  • Dennis CDennis C Posts: 1,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mimicole wrote: »
    mine arrived yesterday but I ordered from HMV. You should get your copy tomorrow morning, Play try to get pre-ordered items out on the day of release. :)

Sometimes they come earlier. And they're always cheaper than in the shops. Heck, sometimes I look at CDs and DVDs in the sales at WHSmiths, and they're STILL more expensive than the likes of Play.com or dvd.co.uk or Amazon,etc!! :eek:

I've also got Miley's new album on pre-order. The Special Edition, of course! ;)
  • Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mojorisin' wrote: »
    Hold on...didn't Madonna start this trend in the late 70's? Debbie Harry hasn't had a career in a long time...so it's always funny when someone like that resorts to bashing someone who is still fairly famous...

The sex thing is mostly for those without good singing voices ....like Janet Jackson.....and Madonna but of course Christina has a good voice....so maybe there is something within her that wants to express her sexuality...

I saw Debbie Harry once wearing a see through rain coat....what was that all about?

What??????

Blondie have been performing around the world for the past 10 years to sell of crowds. Thats on top of her solo stuff.

Debbie Harry wrote many of the great songs they di, has a wonderful voice, able to sing many styles, and knows what she is talking about.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What??????

Blondie have been performing around the world for the past 10 years to sell of crowds. Thats on top of her solo stuff.

Debbie Harry wrote many of the great songs they di, has a wonderful voice, able to sing many styles, and knows what she is talking about.

Well let me see...I was in the U.S. for four years straight attending a University and in other parts of the world and I don't recall seeing Blondie being a big deal...

What great songs?...."The tide is high"? Or even worse...
    "Rapture"? Have you ever heard her voice at the end of the "The Tide is high?" ....that alone would get her thrown off "American Idol"...she was unusual at the time and so were her songs and that was the big deal...not that she was this great talent...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can blame this woman for taking it too far in the first place and now, it seems every female singer practically has to take it further:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyhdvRWEWRw

And people called Madonna "talented" for that crap she put out...she raised the bar and now many female singers believe they have to go that way...pure crap
  • Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mojorisin' wrote: »
    Well let me see...I was in the U.S. for four years straight attending a University and in other parts of the world and I don't recall seeing Blondie being a big deal...

What great songs?...."The tide is high"? Or even worse...
    "Rapture"? Have you ever heard her voice at the end of the "The Tide is high?" ....that alone would get her thrown off "American Idol"...she was unusual at the time and so were her songs and that was the big deal...not that she was this great talent...

Presumably you see the charts as a measure of success.

Blondie are touring Europe at the moment, and selling out venues. They've been doing it for 10 years. You said Debbie Harry has not had a career for years. Many bands play to sell out crowds, and are well supported, without being on the telly.

I've heard every song Blondie have done, and seen them perform live quite a few times. Debbie Harry can sing, and in many different styles. She was in a well respected jazz band before Blondie reformed, and was very well received in that area, due to the quality of her voice.

If you listen to most Blondie albums, you will hear the vast range in her voice, and her ability to sing many styles.

If your standards are set by American Idol, then fine, but many of the great rock singers and bands would fall there, and for that I am relieved. I like genuine talent, with styles that are natural to the singer, rather than the clones, or novelties on such shows.