Cheers on ITV4 (Merged)

Comments

• pete137pete137 Posts: 18,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I noticed in the TV Mags for next week that Cheers is not on from Tuesday onwards, I hope that doesn't mean the end of the current run. There is still a lot of episodes to come, will be dissapointed if they don't show them .:mad:

Its just tempory while the cricket is on. Not sure how long for though.
  • Fred FlintstoneFred Flintstone Posts: 795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pete137 wrote: »
    As a first time viewer of Cheers im realy loving it but i have to admit im uneasy watching some of Sam's scenes in this season. I always had an image of him as a lothario and ladies man but in reality he is practically a rapist and sex pest who would repulse most women if he realy acted like that. Im realy hoping this isnt the Sam we will see for the rest of the show.

Please tell me the writers at least tried to give him a bit more depth. Im already bored stiff of every episode involving Sam desperately trying to have sex with a (any) women with a pulse and all the barflys behind him high fiving and chanting "Sammy............Sammy" is all a bit sad and pathetic.

I guess it's a lot to do with changing attitudes even over the past twenty years or so. If they were starting out today I'm sure the character would be written differently.

In many ways, I preferred the Diane years and, of the post Diane years, the ones with Frasier and Lilith.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In one of tonight's episodes Frasier said his father was dead but was a scientist when alive?
    Seems like a bit of a lack of continuity between Cheers and Frasier.
  • fozzie74fozzie74 Posts: 284
    Forum Member
    In one of tonight's episodes Frasier said his father was dead but was a scientist when alive?
    Seems like a bit of a lack of continuity between Cheers and Frasier.

It's explained in an episode of Frasier (one with a cheers guest star) that Frasier had fallen out with his dad so had lied to the cheers guys.

A cop out, but it's how they got round it! Lets be honest who'd have thought in Cheers Frasier would get his own series (and it go on to be better than Cheers!), so the writers never had to think it through at the time.
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well that was the last episode for God knows how long. My recorder has not picked up any new episodes on the series link - and it goes 14 days ahead.

Does anyone know how long the cricket is going to be on?
  • pembo2004pembo2004 Posts: 4,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well that was the last episode for God knows how long. My recorder has not picked up any new episodes on the series link - and it goes 14 days ahead.

Does anyone know how long the cricket is going to be on?

well final is on the 27th of may
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fozzie74 wrote: »
    It's explained in an episode of Frasier (one with a cheers guest star) that Frasier had fallen out with his dad so had lied to the cheers guys.

A cop out, but it's how they got round it! Lets be honest who'd have thought in Cheers Frasier would get his own series (and it go on to be better than Cheers!), so the writers never had to think it through at the time.

Oh okay, thanks I was wondering.
  • Paul WilsonPaul Wilson Posts: 5,108
    Forum Member
    Oh okay, thanks I was wondering.

I loved the joke that Martin wasn't particularly bothered that Frasier had claimed he was dead, but what annoyed him was when he claimed he was a research scientist. Frasiers respsonse 'You were dead, what did it matter??' Was great.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    pembo2004 wrote: »
    well final is on the 27th of may

:eek: I hope they manage to show some before that.

They are still finding space for Police, Camera, Action, yet no place for Cheers. :(
  • Sunny BSunny B Posts: 7,359
    Forum Member
    So the last episode on ITV4 last night was Season 8, Episode 10? I'm not waiting nearly 2 month for it to come back on so might but the Season 8 boxset tomorrow :)
  • badvocbadvoc Posts: 104
    Forum Member
    I can't get my head around this, who cares about Indian domestic cricket apart from Indians?
  • AA2009AA2009 Posts: 8,378
    Forum Member
    TWO MONTHS of cricket are you ****ing kidding?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    AA2009 wrote: »
    TWO MONTHS of cricket are you ****ing kidding?

I hate to tell you, but ITV4 also cover the French Open tennis extensively. That starts on the 27th May (the day of the cricket final) for two weeks. :eek: It's usually on from about 10am to roughly 8 or 9pm daily.
    Forum Member
    Well, just because they've stopped showing it - hopefully temporarily - is no reason not to keep the thread going. Any favourite episodes folks?

I've got to go for the one where the Coach conned the conman in a game of cards. That was fantastic that one.
  • Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hate to tell you, but ITV4 also cover the French Open tennis extensively. That starts on the 27th May (the day of the cricket final) for two weeks. :eek: It's usually on from about 10am to roughly 8 or 9pm daily.

Judging by your user name that should not be a problem for you :D

Jimmy Connors is my favourite player of the golden oldies. Of the newer lot my fav is Roger Federer, but he is almost a golden oldie himself now :D

That being said, I miss my daily dose of Cheers!
  • JustonecornettoJustonecornetto Posts: 19,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, just because they've stopped showing it - hopefully temporarily - is no reason not to keep the thread going. Any favourite episodes folks?

I've got to go for the one where the Coach conned the conman in a game of cards. That was fantastic that one.

Yes that episode was pretty good but for me The Thanksgiving episode with the unforgettably funny food fight is true comedy gold. Of the more recent episodes the Norm/Mr Kreitzer story and the Centenary/Lilith gives birth one are favourites of mine.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Judging by your user name that should not be a problem for you :D

Jimmy Connors is my favourite player of the golden oldies. Of the newer lot my fav is Roger Federer, but he is almost a golden oldie himself now :D

That being said, I miss my daily dose of Cheers!

Yes, I can not deny I am looking forward to he FO. ITV did a great job last year. :cool:

I am a huge fan of Federer too, but my all time fav was Chris Evert. :) Not sure how long Roger will be around, as you say he's a relative oldie now. :eek:

Back on topic, I am missing Cheers already, and it's only been a day. :(
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Funnily enough, one of my favourites takes place away from the bar: Dinner at Eightish - mainly because it has both Diane and Lilith on screen, at their best.

As much as I prefer the Diane (and Coach) years overall, I think most of my favourite episodes centre on Frasier and Lilith. They were really the breakout characters of the show for me, and I wouldn't have enjoyed the post-Diane years without the 'intellectual' pair there to balance things out. I always wondered what Lilith was constantly writing in her little notebook, though!
  • Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree. I much preferred the Diane and Coach years - Sam was a much richer, deeper and nicer character then. I hated the all out sleazy lothario he has become in season 8. I always thought of Carla, Cliff and Norm as supporting characters and could take or leave them, especially Carla, who was mostly just toxic and unlikeable imo. Fraser when with Diane or on his own I couldn't stand but the partnership of Fraser and Lilith was terrific. Rebecca never really grew on me but she was very funny to watch when in meltdown.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    My favourite episodes so far have to be the squeaky shoes and Cliff's shock treatment.
  • pinkpowerrangerpinkpowerranger Posts: 933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ITV4 have just tweeted to someone "Sadly we've come to the end of the series. We hope you enjoyed them!" but they haven't even finished season 8 yet! It's so frustrating when that happens
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    ITV4 have just tweeted to someone "Sadly we've come to the end of the series. We hope you enjoyed them!" but they haven't even finished season 8 yet! It's so frustrating when that happens

Oh, no that's not good. :(

As you say they didn't even finish season 8, never mind all of them.

They did the same with Minder last year. I watched them all religiously, and they bloody missed the last two seasons and instead went back to the start.

I emailed them to ask, and their short answer was just a simple 'No, we're not going to show the last two series' No explanation - nothing.
    Forum Member

What??? Sorry, bar's closed? Oh bugger...
  • JustonecornettoJustonecornetto Posts: 19,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That is seriously bad news, I could forgive them for having a break until autumn even but if that's it I am not happy at all.
    CBS were showing repeats in tandem with ITV4 until a few weeks ago but I see they have started at Series 1 again, so not even hopeful of them ever showing the rest.
  • pete137pete137 Posts: 18,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Absoluetly pathetic if they have stopped showing them for good with only a few seasons to go. Bloody ITV ! Time to download.