Muslim family unfit to keep child protest against Lesbian Couple Adopters

PlausibleDenialPlausibleDenial Posts: 978
Forum Member
✭✭
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2550317/White-lesbian-couple-allowed-adopt-three-year-old-Muslim-girl-against-wishes-family.html

Not sure if anyone has seen the above story yet about a 'white lesbian couple adopting muslim girl against wishes of unfit to parent muslim family'

Well the muslim family protested at harrow council which caused them to have a 'rethink'.

In my opinion this is Disgraceful behaviour pandering to religion like this. People choose religion, they dont choose their sexuality.

It is funny how the council are discriminating against sexuality here in favour of religion whereas the Christian Guesthouse owners in penzance were hauled over the coals for discriminating against a gay couple due to their sexuality.

At the very least all religions should be treated equally, in that none should be allowed to discriminate due to sexuality.

It shouldnt be allowed for muslims just because they have a scarier fringe wing than christians!

Comments

• grantus_maxgrantus_max Posts: 2,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2550317/White-lesbian-couple-allowed-adopt-three-year-old-Muslim-girl-against-wishes-family.html

Not sure if anyone has seen the above story yet about a 'white lesbian couple adopting muslim girl against wishes of unfit to parent muslim family'

Well the muslim family protested at harrow council which caused them to have a 'rethink'.

In my opinion this is Disgraceful behaviour pandering to religion like this. People choose religion, they dont choose their sexuality.

It is funny how the council are discriminating against sexuality here in favour of religion whereas the Christian Guesthouse owners in penzance were hauled over the coals for discriminating against a gay couple due to their sexuality.

At the very least all religions should be treated equally, in that none should be allowed to discriminate due to sexuality.

It shouldnt be allowed for muslims just because they have a scarier fringe wing than christians!

How are the council 'descriminating against sexuality' here? We're not talking about the provision of a service here, as was the case with the B&B, we're talking about the adoption of a child, where the policy is to match that child with the ethnic group & culture of the child wherever possible.

The re-think is to give the family chance to come up with suitable alternatives. I can't imagine that's going to be particularly easy, at which point it's back to plan A.
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    I'm unsure what the deal is here is it the child's biological family complaining?

If so then as soon as they give a child up for adoption then it's not nothing to do with them where the child is placed

If it's not biologically related to them then it's got nothing to do with them anyway.
  • irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd be careful trusting the accuracy of any news story about muslims in the DM... they've not exactly been known to tell the entire truth on these things in the past.... see immigrants and the EU also. I'd see if theres another source
  • 2+2=52+2=5 Posts: 24,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sad story. I guess the biological mother will have no access to the child. Hopefully when they are an adult they can find out about their heritage, something we all deserve and have the right to.

It seems wrong to me to go against the wishes of the parents and the rest of the family - the story doesn't suggest they were complaining about who the adopters were. They are upset that other members of the family weren't given the opportunity to adopt the child. It appears the OP has interpreted the story incorrectly, IMHO. This isn't about religion against homosexuality.

So what are the rules about other members of the extended family adopting the child?
  • benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely it's as much to do with ethnicity . Children where possible should be with a family similar to their parents ethnic back ground. I cannot open the link so perhaps I am missing something.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How are the council 'descriminating against sexuality' here? We're not talking about the provision of a service here, as was the case with the B&B, we're talking about the adoption of a child, where the policy is to match that child with the ethnic group & culture of the child wherever possible.

The re-think is to give the family chance to come up with suitable alternatives. I can't imagine that's going to be particularly easy, at which point it's back to plan A.

I think the article makes subtle references to it being about religion when, as you say, there doesn't appear to be at all.

It's an example of the media's ability to drive polarising views out of a story that has no basis for it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In my experience the biological family wouldn't be allowed to know who is adopting the child.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chocdoc wrote: »
    In my experience the biological family wouldn't be allowed to know who is adopting the child.

I am not sure that's true. My nephew is in the adoption procedure at the moment. The little boy is with them now but they had a brief meeting with the mother. She does not know their names nor where they live. However it has been very drawn out as all family members of the child were consulted and the option of anyone of them taking the child was explored first before they looked for adoptive parents. Oddly the adoption people went to huge lengths to match the child with the parents including religion. The child's mum is a Catholic and wanted the boy to be placed with a Catholic family.
  • What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How are the council 'descriminating against sexuality' here? We're not talking about the provision of a service here, as was the case with the B&B, we're talking about the adoption of a child, where the policy is to match that child with the ethnic group & culture of the child wherever .
    Unless it's an open adoptions and they need to get on and cooperate with the adopting parents so she can maintain links with her birth family.

That may be harder with differences of race,religion, ethnicity and life styles
  • dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member
    How can a three year old be Muslim? Colour or race should not be brought in to this. If this couple are suitable as parents, and can give her a good, loving home, that should be the most important factor in this.
  • grantus_maxgrantus_max Posts: 2,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2+2=5 wrote: »
    I think the article makes subtle references to it being about religion when, as you say, there doesn't appear to be at all.

It's an example of the media's ability to drive polarising views out of a story that has no basis for it.

As that sort of agenda seems to be the Daily Mail's raison d'etre, I can't claim to be too surprised by its continued ability to disappoint.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dekaf wrote: »
    How can a three year old be Muslim? Colour or race should not be brought in to this. If this couple are suitable as parents, and can give her a good, loving home, that should be the most important factor in this.

They may be unsuitable as parents because they are ignorant about how race and ethnicity will impact her and therefore be incapable of guiding her through those subtle issues. They may be the kind of person who says "race shouldn't be brought into this" which kind of proves they are burying their head in the sand about the issue and are therefore unsuitable to raise a non-white child. It is similar to how someone who said what has sexuality got to do with it wouldn't be the best choice of parent for a teenager with issues about their sexuality. Because asking the question indicates an unwillingness to talk over and face the issue
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As that sort of agenda seems to be the Daily Mail's raison d'etre, I can't claim to be too surprised by its continued ability to disappoint.

As has been said often on here, their method has to be admired due to its success and its ability to motivate some parts of our society. The problem is that their success is matched only by the levels of inaccurate interpretations that are made from their articles by some.
    Forum Member
    They may be unsuitable as parents because they are ignorant about how race and ethnicity will impact her and therefore be incapable of guiding her through those subtle issues. They may be the kind of person who says "race shouldn't be brought into this" which kind of proves they are burying their head in the sand about the issue and are therefore unsuitable to raise a non-white child. It is similar to how someone who said what has sexuality got to do with it wouldn't be the best choice of parent for a teenager with issues about their sexuality. Because asking the question indicates an unwillingness to talk over and face the issue

Or, they may be able to face up to and guide her through this, without it becoming an issue, nothing to do with burying their head in the sand. I am pretty sure this will have been dicussed before they were even considered.
  • mickmarsmickmars Posts: 7,438
    Forum Member
    This is the kind of nightmare that the enlightened equal opportunity luvvies have had coming for a very long time.
    Square pegs don't fit into round holes in real life either ! ;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or, they may be able to face up to and guide her through this, [bold]without it becoming an issue[/bold], nothing to do with burying their head in the sand.

How can anyone guide someone else through an issue that they themselves are uncomfortable facing?

As with my example with someone who is uncomfortable with gay people"flaunting" their sexuality by being openly gay wanting to pretend that being non-white is not an issue is an indicator that someone wants to ignore the issue. It's not about making it an issue. It is an issue. Just as being female or male is a factor in life.
    Forum Member
    mickmars wrote: »
    This is the kind of nightmare that the enlightened equal opportunity luvvies have had coming for a very long time.
    Square pegs don't fit into round holes in real life either ! ;-)

Does that go for mixed marriage/relationships too?
    Forum Member
    How can anyone guide someone else through an issue that they themselves are uncomfortable facing?

As with my example with someone who is uncomfortable with gay people"flaunting" their sexuality by being openly gay wanting to pretend that being non-white is not an issue is an indicator that someone wants to ignore the issue. It's not about making it an issue. It is an issue. Just as being female or male is a factor in life.

I'm not sure how you come to that conclusion. Why would they be uncomfortable facing it? Do you not think that they would have considered this?
  • Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,833
    Forum Member

Sorry what example. Is it just me or does none of that make any sense?
  • chaffchaff Posts: 985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Exactly. It's as absurd as saying a three year old child is a neoliberal :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Richard46 wrote: »
    Sorry what example. Is it just me or does none of that make any sense?

The example was in their first post. It did make sense to me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The government guidelines to adoption agencies include that consideration must be given to the childs religion , racial origins and cultural background and language. Seems reasonable to me.
    One of the problems is that children from non white backgrounds are more difficult to place and its not always possible to find a suitable match very quickly .
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes, but surely if the child could be placed within the family that would be better for the child and as is said no reason had been given for why that could not happen and there seems to have been a lack of communication about it altogether until they kicked up a stink.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »
    Yes, but surely if the child could be placed within the family that would be better for the child and as is said no reason had been given for why that could not happen and there seems to have been a lack of communication about it altogether until they kicked up a stink.

I think it would be ideal for the kid if someone in the extended family was able to adopt them. It makes perfect sense.
  • Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,833
    Forum Member
    2+2=5 wrote: »
    The example was in their first post. It did make sense to me.

I think you mean their second post and it was not an example it was a scenario. Not a relevant one as a three year old could not have issues with religion.