Options

How fickle is our new media?

HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
Forum Member
Well it only took a week or two but now I no longer know about the flooding conditions in the Somerset levels nor the plight of those poor people so affected and the same goes for other areas of our country.
This is now being replaced by interminable news of mostly irrelevant (to us) happenings in Ukraine.
How fickle are our new media outlets going from the riduculous with Monty Python-esqe reporters standing, waist high, in flood water etc, to now the sublime, where we hear virtually nothing.:(

Comments

• Options
    mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    The clue is in the word "news" - the floods are now "olds" compared to the situation in Ukraine.

However, if the weather suddenly gets bad again expect it to change.
  • Options
    petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's because "news" programmes never report news: i.e. information about events that directly affects the people watching unless they can get an "angle" on it.

Instead they are a mixture of current-affairs entertainment (only if it has pictures), mawkish disaster-reporting ("22 people were killed - here's a video of the scene") and vicarious involvement ("I'm standing outside .... ").

Why do they do this? Because they only want to attract viewers, not to provide information. Most things that affect the most people are abstract: such as changes in the law, politics or economic policy or they're not photogenic enough (no blood, smoke, wreckage or cute animals) or too difficult to explain in a 30-second bite-sized segment.

Just remember: if it's on TV, it's never completely true or balanced. Everything has been selected, edited and interpreted to fit someone's criteria rather than to present raw unvarnished truths for the audience to consider and form their own opinions about.
  • Options
    RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am sure that as the clean up begins and people try to rebuild their homes and lives they will be glad the media circus has moved on to let them concentrate on the sad job in hand.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    News channels and bulletins report news events, regardless as to whether they affect people here in the UK directly or not. Events in the Ukraine have been reported as they are newsworthy.

And I saw a report on the BBC News channel yesterday about the flooding - it is receding, but it will take a long time for the residents to get their homes back to how they were. They interviewed one man in his kitchen who said that this was the first house that they (he and his wife) had got to look how they wanted by redecorating and improving throughout, and now it was ruined (he then broke down).

As an aside, I recall some unwritten rule in news broadcasting that states that public interest in a story will remain for just 10 days before interest wanes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    News channels and bulletins report news events, regardless as to whether they affect people here in the UK directly or not. Events in the Ukraine have been reported as they are newsworthy.

And I saw a report on the BBC News channel yesterday about the flooding - it is receding, but it will take a long time for the residents to get their homes back to how they were. They interviewed one man in his kitchen who said that this was the first house that they (he and his wife) had got to look how they wanted by redecorating and improving throughout, and now it was ruined (he then broke down).

As an aside, I recall some unwritten rule in news broadcasting that states that public interest in a story will remain for just 10 days before interest wanes.

Well that's not necessarily true for me. I would like to be updated although less frequently, obviously. During that news overkill, I had the misfortune of tuning into Sky News (hate it) but I thought I'd give it a try but always seem to come across adverts. Anyway they had that awful Kay Burley in Somerset being rude to some officials and I hoped all the time that she would slip into the flood water - awful woman.
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,705
    Forum Member
    petely wrote: »
    That's because "news" programmes never report news: i.e. information about events that directly affects the people watching unless they can get an "angle" on it.

Instead they are a mixture of current-affairs entertainment (only if it has pictures), mawkish disaster-reporting ("22 people were killed - here's a video of the scene") and vicarious involvement ("I'm standing outside .... ").

Why do they do this? Because they only want to attract viewers, not to provide information. Most things that affect the most people are abstract: such as changes in the law, politics or economic policy or they're not photogenic enough (no blood, smoke, wreckage or cute animals) or too difficult to explain in a 30-second bite-sized segment.

Just remember: if it's on TV, it's never completely true or balanced. Everything has been selected, edited and interpreted to fit someone's criteria rather than to present raw unvarnished truths for the audience to consider and form their own opinions about.
    Thanks for the laugh, Petely. You ever tried stand-up? :(

(PS I really miss that :rollingeyes: smiley.)
  • Options
    Gary_LandyFanGary_LandyFan Posts: 3,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The last thing those who live in the affected areas need is news teams hanging around pointlessly for weeks.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    To keep the OP going I can report that the water meadows round here have noticably reduced in their level of flooding over the past few days.

Glad to be of service.
  • Options
    sheff71sheff71 Posts: 8,286
    Forum Member
    HHGTTG wrote: »
    Well it only took a week or two but now I no longer know about the flooding conditions in the Somerset levels nor the plight of those poor people so affected and the same goes for other areas of our country.
    This is now being replaced by interminable news of mostly irrelevant (to us) happenings in Ukraine.
    How fickle are our new media outlets going from the riduculous with Monty Python-esqe reporters standing, waist high, in flood water etc, to now the sublime, where we hear virtually nothing.:(

To be fair though, just as to you the Ukraine news may be mostly irrelevant, to many who were well away from the flood areas, much of that coverage was fairly irrelevant too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    sheff71 wrote: »
    To be fair though, just as to you the Ukraine news may be mostly irrelevant, to many who were well away from the flood areas, much of that coverage was fairly irrelevant too.

Yes, the coverage was certainly over the top but the fact remains it occurred in this country and some updating wouldn't go amiss would it? As others have said, the travelling circus that is the new media moves on in its relentless, puerile style that it adopts in such matters.
  • Options
    petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the laugh, Petely. You ever tried stand-up? :(

(PS I really miss that :rollingeyes: smiley.)
    You'd be in a much better position to pass judgement if you'd contributed something of substance to the topic yourself.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If you'd've actually posted anything worth commenting on I might have done so.

I disagree with everything you wrote. It was complete nonsense. What else do I have to add?
  • Options
    DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have to say that watching the news doesn't give you ALL the stories you want the hear, even the BBC website doesn't have everything in easy reach, but that has more of what I want so I now look more online for things!
    You can find the smaller more insignificant story online, the ones that most likely will never see the light of day on the main news bulletins.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    lotrjw wrote: »
    I have to say that watching the news doesn't give you ALL the stories you want the hear...
    I'd be shocked if anyone ever thought it was supposed to :(
    even the BBC website doesn't have everything in easy reach
    Well they could put it all on one page but I think that would be more than a little stupid myself.
  • Options
    DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd be shocked if anyone ever thought it was supposed to :(

Well they could put it all on one page but I think that would be more than a little stupid myself.

Thats not the point you sometimes have to dig deep to find out about certain things, there is other easy to reach pages that can be used.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lotrjw wrote: »
    Thats not the point you sometimes have to dig deep to find out about certain things, there is other easy to reach pages that can be used.

Other ways such as .... ?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 361
    Forum Member
    HHGTTG wrote: »

The fact that you are calling the media "fickle" is, quite frankly, ironic.

If it was up to you, the the end of WW2 would still be headline news then, yes?
  • Options
    GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »

So no reporting of World War 2 after mid September 1939?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GeorgeS wrote: »
    So no reporting of World War 2 after mid September 1939?
    That's not what I said though, and it was a recollection of something that some media commentator had said as it applied to modern-day reporting (seeing as the choice of TV news was rather restricted back then, and media content generally was more difficult to get hold of in a timely manner). So i would have expected that modern-day tenets would not apply.