Options

Uk did much better than it deserved

rorybbrorybb Posts: 3,220
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Shocked the UK didn't come last , what a shambles of a song and performance , how any body could think it deserved anywhere then last I can't believe >:( Austria and Germany deserved more :confused:

Comments

• Options
    SwanGirlSwanGirl Posts: 2,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm with you, I thought it was terrible. The song was awful and the staging just looked like a group of drunk people at a wedding having a dance. I was shocked we got any points at all to be honest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SwanGirl wrote: »
    I'm with you, I thought it was terrible. The song was awful and the staging just looked like a group of drunk people at a wedding having a dance. I was shocked we got any points at all to be honest.

I watched with some friends who aren't huge eurovision fans and they were rolling around laughing at the UK entry , it was by far the worst :o

I could understand people feeling hard done by last year but how could anyone actually feel that the UK deserved anywhere near the top 20 this year? :confused:
  • Options
    spaceygalspaceygal Posts: 3,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Our song was pretty catchy. Trouble is the singing wasn't very good on the night. The guy in particular sounded really off key in parts. It's so important to sing well on the night or, even if you have an amazing song, that'll just destroy the whole performance and effect of it if you're out of tune. They just sounded a bit lacklustre, I thought.

But ultimately, the UK had the toughest competition this year than for many years. I think this has been one of the strongest years for as long as I can remember, in terms of good songs. I had so many favourites this year, I just didn't know who I liked the most. Lots of brilliant songs that our entry was just so-so by comparison. I feel bad for poor Austria and Germany though. Nil points. They were both pretty damn good, they deserved to do better!
  • Options
    firefly_irlfirefly_irl Posts: 4,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was always bottom 5 material so it finished as expected.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spaceygal wrote: »
    Our song was pretty catchy. Trouble is the singing wasn't very good on the night. The guy in particular sounded really off key in parts. It's so important to sing well on the night or, even if you have an amazing song, that'll just destroy the whole performance and effect of it if you're out of tune. They just sounded a bit lacklustre, I thought.

But ultimately, the UK had the toughest competition this year than for many years. I think this has been one of the strongest years for as long as I can remember, in terms of good songs. I had so many favourites this year, I just didn't know who I liked the most. Lots of brilliant songs that our entry was just so-so by comparison. I feel bad for poor Austria and Germany though. Nil points. They were both pretty damn good, they deserved to do better!

I think it's very generous to describe it as catchy. It really stood out like a sore thumb as a crap entry and it's actually kind of ridiculous that people are trotting out the same old "Europe hates the UK/neighbourly voting" for it not doing well :confused:
  • Options
    SwanGirlSwanGirl Posts: 2,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rorybb wrote: »
    I watched with some friends who aren't huge eurovision fans and they were rolling around laughing at the UK entry , it was by far the worst :o

I could understand people feeling hard done by last year but how could anyone actually feel that the UK deserved anywhere near the top 20 this year? :confused:

It was pretty shambolic, I will say it's not the worst entry we've ever sent over by any means but it was cringe worthy to watch. I felt bad for the girl as she was clearly very nervous and seemed to freeze a bit with the dancing, the guy in the meantime made up for that by being like someone on an acid trip.
  • Options
    Pandora.Pandora. Posts: 21,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rorybb wrote: »
    I think it's very generous to describe it as catchy. It really stood out like a sore thumb as a crap entry and it's actually kind of ridiculous that people are trotting out the same old "Europe hates the UK/neighbourly voting" for it not doing well :confused:
    It's the typical British attitude - feel sorry for yourself and tear anybody down who is doing well. Eurovision night always encapsulates this pretty well.

Ignore the ignorance. People will climb back under their rock for another year, until next May when they'll be back to share their oh-so-well-informed opinions.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SwanGirl wrote: »
    It was pretty shambolic, I will say it's not the worst entry we've ever sent over by any means but it was cringe worthy to watch. I felt bad for the girl as she was clearly very nervous and seemed to freeze a bit with the dancing, the guy in the meantime made up for that by being like someone on an acid trip.

It's actually pretty sad for us because we see the UK as a country with and awful lot of singing talent , why send complete unknowns with a horrible song?:(
  • Options
    thmsthms Posts: 61,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    in the past half hour the song has added 50,000 views on you tube and it's also charting in several countries i-tunes download chart..

it's a winner
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thms wrote: »
    in the past half hour the song has added 50,000 views on you tube and it's also charting in several countries i-tunes download chart..

it's a winner

It's really not , it scored terribly (deservedly)
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it deserved a lot more than a score of 5
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    you tube views are going crazy.. its jumping by 25,000 every few minutes

it will be all the eurovision parties.. :D
  • Options
    starrystarry Posts: 12,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dd68 wrote: »
    I think it deserved a lot more than a score of 5

Lots of songs deserved to score more. It's the nature of the contest now that a select few are hyped and get ridiculously high scores. People vote for them as they want to back the favourites to win, and others songs hardly get anything.
  • Options
    jadebutterfly96jadebutterfly96 Posts: 1,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the song was badly out of place in a year that was lacking novelty/joke acts and full of more "serious" numbers.
  • Options
    HumidHumid Posts: 1,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was a damn good song, the best we have put out in a while. Had we put out a new Beatles or Rogers & Hammerstein song it would have done no better because of political voting.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought last year's was better.

The staging still looked pretty amateur, a BBC trademark.
  • Options
    CaroUKCaroUK Posts: 6,354
    Forum Member
    When we've taken the trouble to send a decent song and singer we have done well - even in the last few years!

We haven't sent either for yonks...... The last decent showing was ALW and Jade Ewen, and Blue deserved better than they got, but to be honest, the rest have just been rubbish (although I will admit to quite liking Engelberts song, but it was a big ask for that high/ long note in a live show). Mind you, the BBC don't seem to do what a lot of the other countries do and tour the other countries with their entries.... The one year they did (with "it's my Time") was their best result

This year's was absolutely dire - dreadful song badly sung and staged - with a pair of singers who looked as though they'd rather be somewhere else, and looked like a pair of tailors dummies... Surly they could have moved just a little bit???

I didn't get the Molly love last year.... Thought her song was dire and her nerves meant she didn't do it justice.... Never quite saw why "Power to the Pee PULL!" Was the only thing I really remember about a song called "Children of the Universe"
  • Options
    I, CandyI, Candy Posts: 3,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The song was not as bad as its position suggested, but it was still a very poor attempt.

I actually quite liked it when I first heard it; it sounded a bit different. However I think that was to a great degree down to the video, which was well made. On the Eurovision final stage the act was hopelessly exposed. A Eurovision song needs to look as well as sound big and it just didn't have it. The two singers spent half their time just standing there looking at each other. Where was the dancing? Whoever choreographed this should be feeling very ashamed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never expect anything from the staging and performance as the BBC don't bother enforcing modern standards. They live in the Eurovision past, alongside the stupid commentary people get in the semis and final (and which I don't watch anyway).
  • Options
    haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Our song was a total embarrassment and should have come last. I loathed it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    electro velvet's official video has the same number of 'likes' as blue's official video (which is now 4 years old)
  • Options
    TYCOTYCO Posts: 5,891
    Forum Member
    The biggest problem was the style of it which seemed more like something the Eastenders cast would do for Comic relief.

ESC is a song contest as the name suggests, so songs that contain singing, as with Italy, Russia and Australia, usually do well. Or songs that would be a hit in the charts, as with Sweden and Belgium. This was neither of these.

Now, this we could have said before they even came on stage. The real disaster came when they appeared on stage. It was absolutely terrible. The delivery was an embarrassment. It's utterly shameful that it got any points at all. She was horrific, he sounded good until the scabadeeboobeebaa bit and the backing singers were the worst of all. "EVERYBODY DANCE", I think not.

Personally I think this is the last time we should enter as The UK, since it's in danger of becoming the joke of the competition going by the performance over the last 15 years. We really seem to be the only country not keeping up, unable to accept that Eurovision has changed since the old days.

Let's enter next year as Wales, Scotland, England and N.I. A fresh start.
  • Options
    BROXI BEARBROXI BEAR Posts: 9,279
    Forum Member
    It was awful, one of the worst ever
  • Options
    wear thefoxhatwear thefoxhat Posts: 3,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I, Candy wrote: »
    The song was not as bad as its position suggested, but it was still a very poor attempt.

I actually quite liked it when I first heard it; it sounded a bit different. However I think that was to a great degree down to the video, which was well made. On the Eurovision final stage the act was hopelessly exposed. A Eurovision song needs to look as well as sound big and it just didn't have it. The two singers spent half their time just standing there looking at each other. Where was the dancing? Whoever choreographed this should be feeling very ashamed.

I've heard this song quite a few times on Radio 2 in the run up to Eurovision and quite liked it, the video was ok too, but on the night the staging was awful, never stood a chance when put up against the slick productions of our rivals.
  • Options
    ChrisROE HughesChrisROE Hughes Posts: 290
    Forum Member
    Our song lost its appeal when on stage. I'm very surprised we were not nil points and Germany were. Black Smoke is actually a really good song that was performed well enough. I'm certainly more gutted for Germany than I am for us. I'm quite happy with our placing even if we did only get 5 points. 3 countries gave us something. I know I wouldn't have given us anything so wasn't expecting anybody else to.