Options

"Elf" and safety gone mad

BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
Forum Member
✭✭
What are some of your favourite silly decisions made in the name of protecting us from ourselves?

Last week I took my daughter to a concert in Edmonton and during the intermission she wanted a drink, so we bought a bottle of soda at the concession. The member of staff behind the counter then proceeded to remove the cap. Apparently these bottles can be used as weapons and launched into the crowd. :confused: I just paid over $5 for the bleeding thing, I'm hardly going to throw it at someone. And is there something that magically prevents some idiot who did want to use it as a weapon just because there's no lid?

Comments

• Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also, you could have had a replacement top.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »

I definitely would have if I'd known about their silly rule. You're also not allowed to bring your own drink in, even if it's water. That seems pretty standard these days, not just at airports.
  • Options
    Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    I suppose the logic was that an empty bottle being thrown would hurt less than a full one if it hit you.

Edit: I'm assuming it was a rock concert not a classical concert :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Raquelos. wrote: »
    I assume the logic was that an empty bottle being thrown would hurt less than a full one if it hit you.

But someone dumb enough to throw bottles into a crowd wouldn't really be deterred by not having a cap for it. They'd probably think it more fun and possibly thank the staff member for the suggestion.:cool:
  • Options
    Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    But someone dumb enough to throw bottles into a crowd wouldn't really be deterred by not having a cap for it. They'd probably think it more fun and possibly thank the staff member for the suggestion.:cool:

True but the contents would come out in the air and it would be less dangerous on impact. Also a lovely cooling spray would be released on the crowd as it sailed over their heads - everyone wins! :D
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    True but the contents would come out in the air and it would be less dangerous on impact. Also a lovely cooling spray would be released on the crowd as it sailed over their heads - everyone wins! :D

Haha :D What a great idea, let's all do this at the next event we attend :p
  • Options
    blackcat1blackcat1 Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    The bottle top rule suddenly appeared at the football stadium one season when I'd just bought the kids a bottle of pop each, one put his bottle down and knocked it over and so we spent half the match worrying about the other one going the same way .
    After that I just kept a few tops in my bag and eventually it died away and now you get your drink with its top intact .
    It's just madness some of the stupid stuff they dream up
  • Options
    TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I very much doubt that the quantity that would come out in flight would significantly lessen the impact, but some effect would be felt by those beneath.
  • Options
    Paul237Paul237 Posts: 8,656
    Forum Member
    Hmm, I don't see that as a bad example to be honest. They've probably had people throwing full bottles before and, therefore, had to be seen to be doing something about it.

It's not much of a hardship to have a bottle top removed, something that you'll do yourself shortly after. Besides, I'm sure you'd be quick to moan if you got hit by a full bottle.
  • Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last week I took my daughter to a concert in Edmonton and during the intermission she wanted a drink, so we bought a bottle of soda at the concession. The member of staff behind the counter then proceeded to remove the cap. Apparently these bottles can be used as weapons and launched into the crowd. :confused:

Is you a Muslim? http://www.redstate.com/diary/lifeofgrace/2015/05/30/muslim-woman-felt-hatred-united-flight/

If you aren't then Religion Creep is at work
  • Options
    AxtolAxtol Posts: 8,480
    Forum Member
    The people who come up with rubbish like this need help. We should feel sorry for whatever is going on in their head rather than be angry at them for what they have done.
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Depends what it was filled with.
    ;)
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What are some of your favourite silly decisions made in the name of protecting us from ourselves?

Last week I took my daughter to a concert in Edmonton and during the intermission she wanted a drink, so we bought a bottle of soda at the concession. The member of staff behind the counter then proceeded to remove the cap. Apparently these bottles can be used as weapons and launched into the crowd. :confused: I just paid over $5 for the bleeding thing, I'm hardly going to throw it at someone. And is there something that magically prevents some idiot who did want to use it as a weapon just because there's no lid?

I had to take a course where I work on how to shut a gate properly.
  • Options
    DangermooseDangermoose Posts: 67,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was a big hoo haa a few years back over a local tree here - hundreds of years old that the council decided must be felled in case some kiddie climbed up it, fell of and hurt themselves.

Absolute utter ridiculousness >:(
  • Options
    riceutenriceuten Posts: 5,876
    Forum Member

The thing that always makes me laugh with "it's 'elf and safety gorn mad" attitudes is that the very same people are often the first in line to sue a school for allowing a child to fall over in a playground, or stabbing themselves in a restaurant with a sharp knife.
  • Options
    TUTV ViewerTUTV Viewer Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member

Was it a crown cap?

Then it is normal to remove them - it stops damage to fixtures when ignorant people try to remove them using furniture. Likewise the risk of being sued for damage to teeth.

Also, it's not uncommon for people at concerts to wear light shoes - or flip-flops - bit nasty to stand on a crown top.
  • Options
    LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    blueblade wrote: »

I believe that would be having components that could be used to create a weapon of terrorism or something. Come to think about it, having seen the, very random, content of a few women's handbags (hey, they showed me, I wasn't snooping!), we should just arrest them all just to be sure.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was it a crown cap?

Then it is normal to remove them - it stops damage to fixtures when ignorant people try to remove them using furniture. Likewise the risk of being sued for damage to teeth.

Also, it's not uncommon for people at concerts to wear light shoes - or flip-flops - bit nasty to stand on a crown top.

Do you mean the metal ones? This was just a normal 500ml plastic bottle of soda with a plastic screw-on cap.

The shoe thing... I chose to wear trainers as I was worried about someone stepping on my toes. The rows are very close together so if you have to let someone pass thru, there isn't much room for your feet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had to take a course where I work on how to shut a gate properly.

Hehe, reminds me of that scene in "The Office" where Gareth is doing some training with the new girl about where it is and isn't safe to set a cup of hot coffee and how to lift a box. :D
  • Options
    Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Health and safety is often a use used when they can't afford insurance, or need to discharge their legal responsibility in case of accidents.
  • Options
    HP.80 VictorHP.80 Victor Posts: 1,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At a previous job we were forced to sit through a two hour 'elf & safety' lecture on how to safely refill the printer with paper because some dumb doris gave herself a papercut and went crying to management.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hehe, reminds me of that scene in "The Office" where Gareth is doing some training with the new girl about where it is and isn't safe to set a cup of hot coffee and how to lift a box. :D

Haha it was literally as bad as that! Bloody love The Office, best show ever made :)
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This isn't a new thing...

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=808080

As a test, fling an unlidded bottle of water at your daughters head and then throw a lidded bottle. Once she has regained consciousness ask her which one hurt the most ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ber wrote: »
    This isn't a new thing...

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=808080

As a test, fling an unlidded bottle of water at your daughters head and then throw a lidded bottle. Once she has regained consciousness ask her which one hurt the most ;-)

Well, I don't get out much so I didn't know it was a "thing". :D

I think I'll just pack a couple of lid tops if I get the chance to go out again.:)
  • Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member
    At a previous job we were forced to sit through a two hour 'elf & safety' lecture on how to safely refill the printer with paper because some dumb doris gave herself a papercut and went crying to management.

Oh wow! Really? That's hilarious! :o