Options

Sense and Sensibiltiy on BBC1

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,298
Forum Member
Anyone else planning to watch this tonight? I adore the film version and am intrigued to see this adaptation

Comments

• Options
    ludovicaludovica Posts: 25,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    looking forward to it. Watched the Emma Thompson one yesterday. I wish I had a copy of the BBC tv one that had Tracey Childs and Irene Richard.. there was an earlier one as well with Ciaran Madden and Joanna David, but I dont remember that clearly
  • Options
    ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's my favourite Austen. I love the book, and I was really worried (needlessly) about the Emma Thompson film version in case they messed it up. But it was perfect. I'm now all worried again in case they do something weird to this one. I should have more faith - they don't usually mess these up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They messed up Mansfield Park the last two times it was adapted though
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No don't think I'll be watching this one. I can't stand to watch David Morrisey since he played that pyscho teacher in Our Mutual Friend.
  • Options
    EmmaGxEmmaGx Posts: 31,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ludovica wrote: »
    Yeah, but you kind of expect that from ITV ... and casting Billy ... I mean ...

... looking forward to a BBC adaptation though!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Oh god, yes, I'd forgotten. Still, I'm not sure you could do an adaptation of Mansfield Park these days though, and have it both accurate to the book AND with a main character that the audience really liked.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Elanor wrote: »
    Oh god, yes, I'd forgotten. Still, I'm not sure you could do an adaptation of Mansfield Park these days though, and have it both accurate to the book AND with a main character that the audience really liked.
    The Sylvestra Le Touzel version was an excellent adaptation/production... just a pity about the "studio" feel (lighting etc)

likewise the Elizabeth Garvie/David Rintoul "Pride and Prejudice" (still my favourite version)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh yes, I still remember the Sylvestra le Touzel version, she was lovely. I just think a lot of modern audiences wouldn't "get" Fanny Price. It's definitely the least easy book to read, and takes more effort to like the heroine, I think.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh yes, I still remember the Sylvestra le Touzel version, she was lovely. I just think a lot of modern audiences wouldn't "get" Fanny Price. It's definitely the least easy book to read, and takes more effort to like the heroine, I think.
    Strange, she is my favourite Austen heroine.
    (She and Elinor Dashwood.. and Jane Bennett.. and Anne Elliot)
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely going to watch it, I’ve been really looking forward to it, I hope it’s good. I love this story. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Strange, she is my favourite Austen heroine.
    (She and Elinor Dashwood.. and Jane Bennett.. and Anne Elliot)

I like Fanny Price a lot, but I think it took a lot more effort to like her than it did to like some of the others, in my opinion. She's less instantly likeable, I think, if that makes sense.

My favourite heroines are Elinor Dashwood and Elizabeth Bennet, and Emma.
  • Options
    ff999ff999 Posts: 4,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The girl playing Eleanor Dashwood sounds very much like Emma Thompson! Has she been watching too much of the earlier version?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Freaky seeing the girl who played Posy in Ballet shoes again so soon ... she must have had a busy year! ... perfer her hair colour in this though!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Claire Skinner is excellent....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EmmaGx wrote: »
    Freaky seeing the girl who played Posy in Ballet shoes again so soon ... she must have had a busy year! ... perfer her hair colour in this though!

OH of course! I was wondering why she looked familiar!

And OH I like Edward Ferrars very much. What a nice, open face, and what a lovely wink at Margaret.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

And OH I like Edward Ferrars very much. What a nice, open face, and what a lovely wink at Margaret.

He’s a bit more attractive than Hugh Grant! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OH of course! I was wondering why she looked familiar!

If she'd had bright red hair you'd have placed her immidietly! ... I had to check wikipedia to be certain though ...

... Edward is certainly a cutie!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Argghhh! The girls would NOT call Fanny "Aunt Fanny" she is their sister in law.
    Fanny would be "Fanny" or "Mrs John Dashwood"

The girls mother would be "Mrs Dashwood" to Fanny. No way would she address her husband's stepmother as "Mary"

Sloppy sloppy sloppy.. no need for such errors
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DebbieH wrote: »
    He’s a bit more attractive than Hugh Grant! :D

I don't think I really mean just the looks - more that he looks perfect for the part. Very open and kind looking face, if that makes sense.

So far this looks really well cast (it's nice to see Elinor looking the right age, however fab a job Emma Thompson did with the acting) and some lovely little touches.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Fanny Price a lot, but I think it took a lot more effort to like her than it did to like some of the others, in my opinion. She's less instantly likeable, I think, if that makes sense.

My favourite heroines are Elinor Dashwood and Elizabeth Bennet, and Emma.
    I dislike Emma Woodhouse massively
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Argghhh! The girls would NOT call Fanny "Aunt Fanny" she is their sister in law.
    Fanny would be "Fanny" or "Mrs John Dashwood"

The girls mother would be "Mrs Dashwood" to Fanny. No way would she address her husband's stepmother as "Mary"

Sloppy sloppy sloppy.. no need for such errors

I agree with you about the "Aunt Fanny" bit, but I took the way she called Mrs Dashwood by her first name to be a subtle way of showing her rudeness and assumption of superiority.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think I really mean just the looks - more that he looks perfect for the part. Very open and kind looking face, if that makes sense.

So far this looks really well cast (it's nice to see Elinor looking the right age, however fab a job Emma Thompson did with the acting) and some lovely little touches.

No I know what you meant, I was just noting that he's a bit dishy too! :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with you about the "Aunt Fanny" bit, but I took the way she called Mrs Dashwood by her first name to be a subtle way of showing her rudeness and assumption of superiority.
    Good point! subtle...:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good point! subtle...:)

I thought Mrs Dashwood flinched a bit when Fanny said it, which is why I thought it must have been deliberate.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eww I dont fancy Willoughby much :p