Apple TV and dvd recorder connection quandary

Hello.

I'm asking if it's possible to copy video and audio (home footage btw for relatives abroad) from an apple tv to a dvd recorder with scart sockets.

My set up is like this:

Samsung 32 inch LCD HDMI tv with 3 HDMI and 1 scart sockets.

Apple tv 3.

Toshiba DR-20 DVD recorder

Apple mac mini 2011 (no optical drive)

all wired via ethernet

I'm concerned about connection problems and a/v quality. Is it possible to establish a permanent interconnection and still maintain full picture and sound quality between Apple Tv and the Samsung while at the same time providing the best quality for transfer between the ATV and DVD.

Many Thanks.

Comments

• chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Apple TV only has one HDMI output. Therefore it is impossible to directly connect it to the DVD recorder.

A possible solution might be to use the TV to convert the HDMI digital from the Apple TV to analogue SCART to feed the DVD. That depends on two things. The Samsung SCART being wired for output and it also having the ability to feed the HDMI signals to this output. Most TVs with a SCART wired for output can feed the signal from the tuner to SCART and some can feed whatever is being displayed on the TV screen. If your Samsung can do the latter then it may be possible.

You just connect both Apple TV and DVD to the TV and set the TV to feed the HDMI signals to the SCART. Then set the DVD to record from the SCART connected to the TV. However the ability to feed HDMI to SCART is more complex as it involves digital to analogue conversion. Hence being less common. So be prepared for the TV to be unable to do this.

If the TV cannot do it then you will need an external HDMI to SCART converter box to interconnect the two devices. If you want the Apple TV unit connected to the TV at the same time then you will also need a HDMI splitter to feed both the converter and TV at the same time. Otherwise you would need to plug whichever one you want to use up each time.