System volume on disk is corrupt - help please?

Yesterday my mum's computer wouldn't start up properly. The screen was black and said something about repairing and NTFS, and after the countdown went ahead to solve the problem, it found that the 'system volume on disk is corrupt.' It then went to chkdsk to repair it but now it has restarted and just won't load the login password page.

I know a bit about computers but nothing to do with hard drives and all that kind of thing. It won't load up safe mode properly or reboot and the only thing I can really access is the F8 repair page.

It's a Fujitsu Siemens and a Windows Vista. It's quite an old computer, but we can't replace it just yet. Is there anything we can do or does someone know what's going on? Help would really be appreciated!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shhftw wrote: »
    OK RAM - this isn't a blanket diagnosis but it's the easiest to check.

Memtest. UBCD contains it.

Try safe mode and do an error-checking on the disk.

Run a diagnostic tool. UBCD has plenty manufacturer specific ones.

I've copied and pasted this from an adjacent thread.
  • REDBUSREDBUS Posts: 2,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yesterday my mum's computer wouldn't start up properly. The screen was black and said something about repairing and NTFS, and after the countdown went ahead to solve the problem, it found that the 'system volume on disk is corrupt.' It then went to chkdsk to repair it but now it has restarted and just won't load the login password page.

I know a bit about computers but nothing to do with hard drives and all that kind of thing. It won't load up safe mode properly or reboot and the only thing I can really access is the F8 repair page.

It's a Fujitsu Siemens and a Windows Vista. It's quite an old computer, but we can't replace it just yet. Is there anything we can do or does someone know what's going on? Help would really be appreciated!

had similar issue's with my old p.c. same make/OS (scaleo J) ,only solution was to (factory reset) re-install with repair disc's that came with p.c. OR manufacture's re-install without disc's and update driver's/windows updates ect , i opted for manufactures re-install but not sure if this would work for you if system is corrupt ,should do ,pain in the neck but because of age of p.c. had to regularly do manufacturers re-instal every 6-8 months till it kept crashing and needed replaced .

It would be well worth the time and effort to do re-install considering age and will work so much faster than before ,pretty strait forward once you've done it once ,windows updates take forever due to needing to be re-booted manually a good few times (AND fully shut down then re-started rather than auto re-boot),best done over night with a few reboots , may need to go direct to ie. ati for legacy drivers as driver manager will probably install out of date drivers considering age ,but windows update should find legacy driver's ,if never been re-formatted then no surprise disc is corrupt but massive improvement can be made reformatting ,you will lose everything stored on p.c. ,pic's ect :(

really don't know if new disc is needed or not but before buying new disc well worth a try re-formatting imo ,good luck