Vodafone and O2 4G experience thread

Comments

• jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    qasdfdsaq wrote: »
    Coverage checker has been updated on O2. 4G coverage in the Scottish central belt now extends most of the way between Edinburgh and Glasgow:
    http://qasdfdsaq.com/images/coverage/o2-4g-scot-14-02.png
    Seems to be overtaking EE now:
    http://qasdfdsaq.com/images/coverage/ee-4g-scot-14-02.png

Also made a montage (excuse the crappy mspaint copy-paste job) of coverage since launch:
    August '13-ish
    September '13-ish
    October '13-ish
    November '13-ish
    December '13-ish
    January '14-ish
    February '14-ish

Also 3G coverage has improved a little too:

August '13-ish
    February '14-ish

Out of curiosity, how do you actually make these? That 3G coverage one must be time consuming.
  • ThreeThree Posts: 1,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, how do you actually make these? That 3G coverage one must be time consuming.

Is it not screenshots taken from the O2 coverage map and then stitched together to make a larger image?
  • huwdwhuwdw Posts: 643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Three wrote: »
    Is it not screenshots taken from the O2 coverage map and then stitched together to make a larger image?

Done that way it would take ages!
    Forum Member

But the O2 map doesn't exactly let you zoom out. So the amount of time it takes must be.... :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    huwdw wrote: »
    Done that way it would take ages!
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    But the O2 map doesn't exactly let you zoom out. So the amount of time it takes must be.... :o

It would take some time but the colours of the map are the same to O2 so I'd say it was put together like this.
  • qasdfdsaqqasdfdsaq Posts: 3,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kierankay wrote: »
    PM me a link when you do :)
    Thanks

Will do.

No.

O2 still renders the 3G and 4G maps at the same (national) scales as the 2G map. You just have to figure out how to access them.
    Forum Member
    qasdfdsaq wrote: »
    You just have to figure out how to access them.

And you access them how?
  • maverickjesusmaverickjesus Posts: 109
    Forum Member
    Has there been an ebola breakout in Bristol or something? I would have thought that would be one of the first batch of cities you would deploy 4G to.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has there been an ebola breakout in Bristol or something? I would have thought that would be one of the first batch of cities you would deploy 4G to.

Vodafone techies in Bristol are busy installing 3G at the moment.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 416
    Forum Member
    I've noticed a big improvement on O2's 4G in Glasgow with more masts now operating on 4G, previously I would typically have 2 bars on my commute now getting 4 (full bars) most of the way.
  • Dave_GosportDave_Gosport Posts: 436
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know when O2 will launch 4G in the Southampton/Portsmouth area?
  • M1kosM1kos Posts: 660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    well the upgrade of the sites down there is well underway so i doubt it will be long vodafone have announced that 4G will be live in Southhampton, Bournemouth and Portsmouth over the summer :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 49
    Forum Member
    As usual the South West is being neglected for 4G rollout, except if you're on EE of course. Their network is becoming saturated here so speeds are slowing down - sigh I really hate people sometimes...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 62
    Forum Member
    Nahema wrote: »
    As usual the South West is being neglected for 4G rollout, except if you're on EE of course. Their network is becoming saturated here so speeds are slowing down - sigh I really hate people sometimes...

What's an average ee speed where you are? It would be funny after all the hype about 4g from all the networks, if after most people have 4g phones, 3g is quicker as no one is on it!
    Forum Member
    M1kos wrote: »
    well the upgrade of the sites down there is well underway so i doubt it will be long vodafone have announced that 4G will be live in Southhampton, Bournemouth and Portsmouth over the summer :)

Thanks for the info!
  • AlecRAlecR Posts: 554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone know when O2 will launch 4G in the Southampton/Portsmouth area?

Donno, but Vodafone are launching 4G in Portsmouth soon...

Weird how Winchester STILL isn't covered by EE 4G.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Re Winchester Voda/o2 4G have approved/submitted plans for upgrades in the area :)
  • mrMickmrMick Posts: 1,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd like to experience Vodafone 3G where i live, never mind 4G.

Vodafone called me a couple of weeks ago asking me to upgrade to a 4G account i simply told them there isn't any 3G and no plans for 4G here so i saw no point.

"Ah yes, you're area is due to upgraded by november!" He said, cheerily. I just laughed... "You guys said that last year as well... it didn't happen..." .. the call ended about then..
  • AlecRAlecR Posts: 554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    M1kos wrote: »
    Re Winchester Voda/o2 4G have approved/submitted plans for upgrades in the area :)

Three have listed it too, but where's EE?!?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vodafone/ O2 4G now live in Rainham Kent this follows on from their first live 4G cell in Medway at Hempsted Valley Shopping Centre, three sites are now live the third being the big mast behind the services on the M2 and a forth is being upgraded in Parkwood
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Although since my last post the 4G in Rainham seem to be having problems maybe some one who works in the industry here can help, im using network signal info, on some recently updated sites my phone logs on to 4G but as i get closer to the site suddenly it boots me off and im left with no signal, i cant get the 4G back even trying to force it using androids hidden engineering menu, even right under the offending mast. eventually my phone either reverts to 3G from the same site or back to 4G from a different site once the faulty one is no longer the strongest>:(, this is only happening in maidstone and rainham where o2 have built the network, i have no probs anywhere in south London where voda did the install :D
  • RAN ManRAN Man Posts: 257
    Forum Member
    Sounds like the new ones are still operator barred, I.e. Transmitting but not available for public use.
    Forum Member
    For the last few days, my iPhone 5s on O2 has been picking up 4G in the Gosport area, So I'm guessing that 4G is now available in Portsmouth for those of us on O2... :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    O2 and Vodafone 4G now live in Belfast :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 416
    Forum Member
    O2 & Vodafone have both now updated their coverage maps, as far as I can see there is a big improvement in central Scotland
This discussion has been closed.