Hollyoaks or Brookside?

2»

Comments

• IWasBoredIWasBored Posts: 3,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hollyoaks
    craig_25 wrote: »
    I'm not really sure I agree about HO being stronger at 20 than Brookie was. Even at its worst Brookside was being pushed around the schedule and running some pretty dire storylines but was still pulling in around 1.5 million viewers, which is now considered pretty damn good for HO to achieve.

IMO HO bears absolutely no resemblance to a realistic and character driven serial drama. It's storylines are so outlandish and its characters so exaggerated that it's hard to accept as a British soap. It breaks all the rules and shows no regard for its older viewers.

Despite this, channel 4 obviously had got fed up with Brookside so messed around with the schedule, this is somethhing that they are not doing with Hollyoaks. I watched the 20th anniversary of Brookside, it was dire. This is probably why Channel 4 pushed around its schedule. They aren't doing that with Hollyoaks and I liked their 20th anniversary the best.

I don't watch or want a soap to resemble real life and people who I know (Shudders at the thought)
  • craig_25craig_25 Posts: 2,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IWasBored wrote: »
    Despite this, channel 4 obviously had got fed up with Brookside so messed around with the schedule, this is somethhing that they are not doing with Hollyoaks. I watched the 20th anniversary of Brookside, it was dire. This is probably why Channel 4 pushed around its schedule. They aren't doing that with Hollyoaks and I liked their 20th anniversary the best.

I don't watch or want a soap to resemble real life and people who I know (Shudders at the thought)

The tone of your post insinuates that you feel one of us right and the other is wrong. I respect your opinion and I'm glad that you enjoy Hollyoaks. I watched Brookside throughout its whole tenure and as I've mentioned in earlier posts, I found the quality somewhat lacking in its final years.

For me personally Brookside was the better soap of the two. For you I guess its the opposite. I would consider myself a loyal and passionate soap viewer and gave Hollyoaks years of my time, but in its current state I personally cannot enjoy it. Clearly they have a core viewers still enjoying it, like yourself so to them, I guess my opinion of the show really means nothing. I would rather watch old Brookside episodes any day rather than be forced to sit through a dire episode of HO.
  • bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brookside
    I loved Brookside. Don't know why it finished.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hollyoaks
    craig_25 wrote: »
    The tone of your post insinuates that you feel one of us right and the other is wrong. I respect your opinion and I'm glad that you enjoy Hollyoaks. I watched Brookside throughout its whole tenure and as I've mentioned in earlier posts, I found the quality somewhat lacking in its final years.

For me personally Brookside was the better soap of the two. For you I guess its the opposite. I would consider myself a loyal and passionate soap viewer andg gave Hollyoaks years of my time, but in its current state I personally cannot enjoy it. Clearly they have a core viewers still enjoying it, like yourself so to them, I guess my opinion of the show really means nothing. I would rather watch old Brookside episodes any day rather than be forced to sit through a dire episode of HO.

Sorry I didn't mean to sound nasty but I was in a Rush. My curtain pole had fallen down after I had just put it up, I hope that it doesn't happen tomorrow. I hate people looking into my living room :@.

Unfortunately it's not up to Me. channel 4 are the broadcaster, and if they disagree with any of their viewers they shall do what they want as they operate like a business. And like I just said I don't think that Hollyoaks is in a great shape now or that is as good as Brookside was at its peak so I don't know where you got that impression from? Perhaps you were in a rush as well. Like I said if Channel 4 moved around the schedule for Brookside during the 20th year, but aren't currently doing so for Hollyoaks, then I guess that it's a clear indication that they are happier with Hollyoaks in 2015 than they were with Brookside in 2002. I also prefer Hollyoaks 2015 than I did Brookside 2002. I can see why Channel 4 messed around with the schedule, after the late 90 ' s it went down hill.

In preferential o rder (I started watching Brookside in 1992 and Hollyoaks in 2009)

1/ Brookside peak the Jordash storyline, Jimmy Corkhill. Maybe 1992 - 1993
    2/ Hollyoaks peak 2011 Silas
    3/ Hollyoaks worst year 2014
    4/ Brookside trough late 90's until it died
  • craig_25craig_25 Posts: 2,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IWasBored wrote: »
    Sorry I didn't mean to sound nasty but I was in a Rush. My curtain pole had fallen down after I had just put it up, I hope that it doesn't happen tomorrow. I hate people looking into my living room :@.

Unfortunately it's not up to Me. channel 4 are the broadcaster, and if they disagree with any of their viewers they shall do what they want as they operate like a business. And like I just said I don't think that Hollyoaks is in a great shape now or that is as good as Brookside was at its peak so I don't know where you got that impression from? Perhaps you were in a rush as well. Like I said if Channel 4 moved around the schedule for Brookside during the 20th year, but aren't currently doing so for Hollyoaks, then I guess that it's a clear indication that they are happier with Hollyoaks in 2015 than they were with Brookside in 2002. I also prefer Hollyoaks 2015 than I did Brookside 2002. I can see why Channel 4 messed around with the schedule, after the late 90 ' s it went down hill.

In preferential o rder (I started watching Brookside in 1992 and Hollyoaks in 2009)

1/ Brookside peak the Jordash storyline, Jimmy Corkhill. Maybe 1992 - 1993
    2/ Hollyoaks peak 2011 Silas
    3/ Hollyoaks worst year 2014
    4/ Brookside trough late 90's until it died

Oh dear. I hope your curtain pole is ok. You probably need some better raw plugs or maybe your curtains are too heavy? Are they suede? Mine are suede ring tops and I was shocked and horrified to notice that the sheer weight of them has bent my lovely pole! FYI, Next do some lovely pewter curtain poles, they're really expensive looking and actually the brackets are really strong. I'd also recommend having a blind on the inside of the window so that you don't have to keep drawing the curtains every evening and placing stress on the pole. I have plantation shutters up at mine but my mum has some lovely venetians which she bought from a website quite cheaply. I wouldn't go for vertical blinds they can be a bit officey but they are lightweight if you only have plasterboard walls to which you are screwing them to. Unfortunately mine are hollow plastered walls but I did make the mistake of buying a new house. You live and learn I guess .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hollyoaks
    I live in a rented flat and there was already vertical blinds on the inside of most windows, our neighbours have the same ones. The window in the sitting room had these dirty curtains without any blinds. I had these nice more expensive pair which I tried to put up but they fell because I hadn't done it properly. There is an annoying horizontal blind in the kitchen that I haven't managed to close the slants. The shower in the bathroom refuses to maintain a nice warm temperature. I'm helping a friend put up their Curtains tomorrow