Anyone here do a Pubic Relations degree?

21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,500
Forum Member
All being well, this is the degree I'll be doing at Uni next year. I've looked into it loads and been to as many open days as possible and I really think its a course that will suit me. Has anyone here actually done a degree in Public Relations? If so, whats it like?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lol, pubic relations :p
  • Mr. FahrenheitMr. Fahrenheit Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    'Pubic Relations'

Oh dear, Uni just got dirtier.
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,500
    Forum Member
    Lol, pubic relations :p

Do you even know what it is?
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    I am sure a lot of us have had some sort of pubic relations. I didnt know there was a degree in it!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PR is a lot to do with communications. Most important is getting the right message across.

I'm sure you'll do fine! :p
    Forum Member
    PR is a lot to do with communications. Most important is getting the right message across.

I'm sure you'll do fine! :p

It's that to a degree, but there's a whole lot more to it!
    And I try to convey the right message- I'm lovely, humurous and never say anything for a reaction! You see, I'm a natural!
  • Mr. FahrenheitMr. Fahrenheit Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    It's that to a degree, but there's a whole lot more to it!
    And I try to convey the right message- I'm lovely, humurous and never say anything for a reaction! You see, I'm a natural!

Again, 'Pubic Relations'.
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So. Much. Win.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 207
    Forum Member
    I applied to do public relations at UCLAN and got onto the course, but I got into Lancaster doing marketing instead. It's one of the best in the country so didn't really want to turn them down. Would have loved to have done PR though, it only makes up a small amount of my course this year (second). I'm sure it will be great though :D
    Forum Member
    Again, 'Pubic Relations'.

I was being sarcastic there :)

With people who pay me I'll do a great job.

Like Lynn Franks only less fat and Male.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 185
    Forum Member
    I haven't done one, but I did own a PR firm so I'm somewhat qualified to say - don't.

It's an incredibly fast moving field, every single client is different. By the time you've finished your degree the majority of it will be outdated, I wasn't the only person who used to avoid hiring graduates because it takes longer to teach them how the business actually works than it does to train someone from scratch. Of course there are basic principles that you need to know, but they can be picked from books and the web in a few months (without ending up with a massive pile of debt) or even on the job.

It's something you either have a natural capacity for or you don't. If you don't then no degree will change that, if you do then you don't need one. It's also a field that relies heavily on connections, without someone to help you get your foot in the door it's one hell of a struggle.

Sorry to be a downer, but you really shouldn't believe everything you see on open days - they tend to be done by people who have a vested interest in getting you into their university.
    Forum Member
    adhept wrote: »
    I haven't done one, but I did own a PR firm so I'm somewhat qualified to say - don't.

It's an incredibly fast moving field, every single client is different. By the time you've finished your degree the majority of it will be outdated, I wasn't the only person who used to avoid hiring graduates because it takes longer to teach them how the business actually works than it does to train someone from scratch. Of course there are basic principles that you need to know, but they can be picked from books and the web in a few months (without ending up with a massive pile of debt) or even on the job.

It's something you either have a natural capacity for or you don't. If you don't then no degree will change that, if you do then you don't need one. It's also a field that relies heavily on connections, without someone to help you get your foot in the door it's one hell of a struggle.

Sorry to be a downer, but you really shouldn't believe everything you see on open days - they tend to be done by people who have a vested interest in getting you into their university.

And the Universities are no doubt very goot at PR themselves. I want to do this to get some grounding but what you said has been very helpful- I just don't know how I would get on the ladder without a PR degree.
    Forum Member

I'm inclined to agree with this. Luckily I'm working part time in branding and marketing as it is my area of interest. It's all part of my plan to emigrate to New Zealand anyway :D. The best thing to do, 21stcentury, is try and get on one of those 'sandwich' courses, where you have to work a year in industry - you can make some connections through that, and if you're going to a university where there is a high level of involvement from local and national businesses looking to recruit graduates - then attend all of the fairs and meetings they will hold, everything for your CV. So you don't look like you've just gone and got pissed up for 3 years :p
    Forum Member
    I'm inclined to agree with this. Luckily I'm working part time in branding and marketing as it is my area of interest. It's all part of my plan to emigrate to New Zealand anyway :D. The best thing to do, 21stcentury, is try and get on one of those 'sandwich' courses, where you have to work a year in industry - you can make some connections through that, and if you're going to a university where there is a high level of involvement from local and national businesses looking to recruit graduates - then attend all of the fairs and meetings they will hold, everything for your CV. So you don't look like you've just gone and got pissed up for 3 years :p

Well I think all of the courses I have applied for offer placements etc- so that would help a little bit wouldn't it?
    And what exactly is a sandwhich course- is it the one where you take a year out in the middle to work in your chosen field to gain experience? If so I will definatley look into that!
    Forum Member
    Well I think all of the courses I have applied for offer placements etc- so that would help a little bit wouldn't it?
    And what exactly is a sandwhich course- is it the one where you take a year out in the middle to work in your chosen field to gain experience? If so I will definatley look into that!

Yeah, they will offer placements but I'd also advise on looking for internships etc. independently from your university. Yes that is a sandwich course, unfortunately my marketing course isn't a sandwich degree so I've had to organise a year abroad in New Zealand off my own back. (which I would not recommend to anyone)
    Forum Member
    Yeah, they will offer placements but I'd also advise on looking for internships etc. independently from your university. Yes that is a sandwich course, unfortunately my marketing course isn't a sandwich degree so I've had to organise a year abroad in New Zealand off my own back. (which I would not recommend to anyone)

Bet thats expensive :eek:

And I will look into it. Its something I really am passionate about so hopefully I can acheive something from it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 185
    Forum Member
    And the Universities are no doubt very goot at PR themselves. I want to do this to get some grounding but what you said has been very helpful- I just don't know how I would get on the ladder without a PR degree.

Well, you could always try my approach. I put on a nice suit, went into the city and tried to blag myself into the office of every boss at every firm worth working for. When I managed to pull it off, the guy was so impressed that i'd managed to talk my way past the several layers of lower staff he hired me on the spot.

The fundamental principle of the job is to manipulate people. So show you can do just that, manipulate them into thinking that you are worth hiring, the ironic thing being that if you can do that then you actually are worth hiring. Don't be afraid to be ruthless about it, if you aren't prepared to stick the occasional knife in someones back you'll be making coffee for a long time.

As for universities being good at PR - I can't speak for all of them, but I know more than a few pay a lot of money for that PR, they don't do it in house.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you even know what it is?

I wasn't mocking your degree choice, it was just..you spelled public as...hmm, confused as to whether or not it was intentional now.
    Forum Member
    Well, you could always try my approach. I put on a nice suit, went into the city and tried to blag myself into the office of every boss at every firm worth working for. When I managed to pull it off, the guy was so impressed that i'd managed to talk my way past the several layers of lower staff he hired me on the spot.

The fundamental principle of the job is to manipulate people. So show you can do just that, manipulate them into thinking that you are worth hiring, the ironic thing being that if you can do that then you actually are worth hiring. Don't be afraid to be ruthless about it, if you aren't prepared to stick the occasional knife in someones back you'll be making coffee for a long time.

As for universities being good at PR - I can't speak for all of them, but I know more than a few pay a lot of money for that PR, they don't do it in house.

You see I have a ruthless streak- and its not something I am particularly ashame of! So you literally were bought in off the street. Its something I really want to do so I will go to pretty much any feesible length to begin my ascent.
    Forum Member
    I wasn't mocking your degree choice, it was just..you spelled public as...hmm, confused as to whether or not it was intentional now.

Oh my God I put Pubic Relations! :o
    Forum Member
    Can I not edit?
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

LOL - you got there finally ! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

:D:D:D

The first 5 or so posts didn't seem strange to you then? :p
    Forum Member
    psionic wrote: »
    LOL - you got there finally ! :D

What an absolutely stupid thing to do- I posted about doing a degree centred on promoting good image and call it Pubic? Oh the Irony! :D
    Forum Member
    :D:D:D

The first 5 or so posts didn't seem strange to you then? :p

I thought people were just being mean about my degree choice!