Options

The Grammys and Adele's Etiquette.

Comments

• Options
    spaniel-loverspaniel-lover Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dezire wrote: »
    Does anyone else cringe when this girls opens her mouth (apart from to sing!)?

I was bought up in a working class area of London,and never heard anyone sound that common in all my life. It's almost a bit Fiddler on the Roof - trying too hard to sound really common, if you know what I mean. I half expected her to do a rendition of 'knees up mother brown', or the 'Lambeth walk'.

The girl should tone it down, and learn to speak and conduct herself properly.

Frankly I find it refreshing to hear someone from London speak with a traditional London accent, as opposed to the numerous foreign accents that you usually hear out-numbering any English accents in London.
  • Options
    spaniel-loverspaniel-lover Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    roger_50 wrote: »
    Am I alone in thinking she has a really good voice, but her songs themselves are actually pretty average? I imagine I'd be in the minority, she seems pretty popular.

No, I share that sentiment.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,678
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Am I alone in thinking she has a really good voice, but her songs themselves are actually pretty average? I imagine I'd be in the minority, she seems pretty popular.

According to this, she would probably agree with you. http://www.westword.com/2009-01-22/music/despite-four-grammy-nominations-adele-is-figuring-out-how-to-be-herself/
  • Options
    iamsofirediamsofired Posts: 13,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    James2001 wrote: »
    She's not lazy, she just can't sing. Her singing voice is like a cat being castrated without anesthetic.

lol wut

yeah I suppose her laugh and swearing grates a bit but it doesnt keep me up at night.
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here are my three favourite performances of hers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Q_z2WkSKTc (her first TV appearance)

http://youtu.be/nL49yZNE4yk (Hometown Glory)

http://youtu.be/RCF9EXolHBo (Someone Like You)

I can't believe anyone could think these weren't good songs! :eek:
  • Options
    doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member

Her songs are completely dreary, they're supposed to be emotional but I don't feel anything at all, except boredom.
  • Options
    joules22joules22 Posts: 1,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think she's excellent. Why do people always have to criticise and nit pick. Leave her alone and celebrate her greatness and success. :cool:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 110
    Forum Member
    James2001 wrote: »
    She's not lazy, she just can't sing. Her singing voice is like a cat being castrated without anesthetic.

What? I'm by no means her biggest fan and have heard very few of her songs, but you cannot justify that at all... I usually just let opinions be but that is ridiculous.

What else is ridiculous is people trying to tell others how they should act or live their life. Frankly, I don't think she cares if you don't like her accent :)
  • Options
    BROXI BEARBROXI BEAR Posts: 9,279
    Forum Member
    Ah well, the snobbery on DS rears it's ugly head once more. :rolleyes:

She's a singer, who the hell cares if she has an accent. FFS what difference does it make?

What do you want, for everybody on TV to sound like the old Pathe newsreaders of the 50's??

I despair!
  • Options
    Star_BrightStar_Bright Posts: 11,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She sounds normal to me! The again, I am from South London.
  • Options
    rybevrybev Posts: 1,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I was bought up in a working class area of London,and never heard anyone sound that common in all my life. It's almost a bit Fiddler on the Roof - trying too hard to sound really common, if you know what I mean. I half expected her to do a rendition of 'knees up mother brown', or the 'Lambeth walk'.

Am I the only one not understanding the Fiddler On The Roof reference?
    No matter how I hard I think about it, I can't find the connection between Adele's voice and a musical set just after 1900 in Russia about a poor milkman marrying off his daughters in the shadow of the Revolution!!
    Can you explain it please?
  • Options
    Jeanie GoldJeanie Gold Posts: 636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "ooo got a bit of snot"! :D:D:D
  • Options
    IlleismIlleism Posts: 640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's almost a bit Fiddler on the Roof - trying too hard to sound really common, if you know what I mean. I half expected her to do a rendition of 'knees up mother brown', or the 'Lambeth walk'.

Do you actually know what Fiddler on the Roof is about? At all?:confused:

I'm sorry, but it's really funny when people try to be intellectuals when they really have no idea what they're talking about.:D
  • Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

OMFG:eek: Are you for real? Suppose she had a strong Glasgow accent or a Spouse one? Are you a time traveler from 1950s BBC ?:rolleyes: What a pathetic excuse for a WUM thread.Go away and come back when you can be accepting of normal people.
  • Options
    iseloidiseloid Posts: 9,392
    Forum Member
    shackfan wrote: »
    OMFG:eek: Are you for real? Suppose she had a strong Glasgow accent or a Spouse one? Are you a time traveler from 1950s BBC ?:rolleyes: What a pathetic excuse for a WUM thread.Go away and come back when you can be accepting of normal people.

No, the OP has a point. Compare her accent to that of Leona Lewis, Alexandra burke and jessie J, all london girls. She sounds NOTHING like them at all. Compare the accents, and you will see. I come from Bradford and being at sheffield Uni, every notices my accent, but I dont sound like some random commoner at all. I speak perfect english and always articulate myself.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40
    Forum Member

I would much rather have her talk to me all day in her accent
    than a snob like you.

She and her accent are totally fine. Do you have any idea how many people your'e offending with that comment?

You should take your own advice. YOU should learn to conduct yourself properly, not like an immature snob. The majority of people hate attitudes like yours.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    iseloid wrote: »
    No, the OP has a point. Compare her accent to that of Leona Lewis, Alexandra burke and jessie J, all london girls. She sounds NOTHING like them at all. Compare the accents, and you will see. I come from Bradford and being at sheffield Uni, every notices my accent, but I dont sound like some random commoner at all. I speak perfect english and always articulate myself.
    You don't seem to type in 'perfect English'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    DLeon wrote: »

well, cant be arsed. Its not getting me a degree or GCSE is it? :cool: SMH. I speak in perfect english but cant be bothered typing in it...waste of time. AND stop avoiding the issue!
  • Options
    konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member

Fiddler On The Roof???? Oh dear, when a DS poster tries to show their intellectual side and fails miserably. Actually, make that hilariously. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    konebyvax wrote: »
    Fiddler On The Roof???? Oh dear, when a DS poster tries to show their intellectual side and fails miserably. Actually, make that hilariously. :D

LMAO! That bit was quite funny; I've performed Fiddler and was quite confused as to what they meant....More like Oliver...:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    DLeon wrote: »

I was going to post the exact same comment! Oh dear. We've got some crackers in this thread....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    however, she does deserve her grammys against those nominated. She has created a good and timeless album.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    And her success has brought the inevitable 'British backlash' brigade out in force, I see. So sad. So predictable. Lord only knows what the backlash would have been like if she'd had the temerity to have grown up with rich parents.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    konebyvax wrote: »
    I was going to post the exact same comment! Oh dear. We've got some crackers in this thread....

Just because I dont type in 'perfect' english....check facebook as an example doesnt mean I dont speak perfect english. I did work bloody hard in school A*s in English lit and language at GCSE. But in terms of speaking, I dont want to sound like a common fool. And most people dont speak like Adele in the UK. There's a difference between an accent and *that*.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    iseloid wrote: »
    well, cant be arsed. Its not getting me a degree or GCSE is it? :cool: SMH. I speak in perfect english but cant be bothered typing in it...waste of time. AND stop avoiding the issue!
    What issue? I replied to this thread before I replied to you.

Tell me, why is not OK for someone to not be bothered putting on a fake accent?

Not everyone speaks like you. Get over it and find something worthy to have against her... Oh, that's right, you can't...so you decide to hate on her for perfectly normal things that we shouldn't dare expect her to change (her accent).