Oz the Great and Powerful

Comments

• BlurayBluray Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bluray wrote: »
    Did I miss something?
    A friend says all three witches are sisters but I don't recall Glinda being a sister to the other two - but maybe I'm wrong.

Anyone?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This guys got this film well and truly summed up

http://letterboxd.com/calummarsh/film/oz-the-great-and-powerful/
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,685
    Forum Member
    I've not even seen the film but that made me laugh :D
  • wolfukwolfuk Posts: 367
    Forum Member
    I seen the film and actually enjoyed it, a little slow at start and in places but it was more about bringing the links to the Original, and when dorothy arrives, we now know where the scarecrows come from, why the lions had no curage, not sure of the tinman link
    Also the machine the wizard uses.
    Think people who not liked it where comparing too much to the orginal, the witches where evil but they did not become more evil till after Oz defeated them. thats why they seemend less like witches we know.

Great film and a great prequal to WOO

Great in 3D - in fact ive seen a lot of 3D movies and this one is the only one Ive seen that you know you watching a 3D movies, or the others I forget Im watching 3D and looks like 2D.
  • barracuda91barracuda91 Posts: 3,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was pretty good, but I didn't like James Franco. I don't like him anyway so maybe that didn't help matters but he did dampen what I would've considered a great movie had he not been in it. I liked everyone else in it and felt it should've been more of an ensemble, I just don't think Franco was good enough to be the focus of the movie. I know his character was meant to be unlikeable but boy, I did kinda want to give him a slap every time I saw that grin :o

There were some funny moments and some touching moments, and I thought the music was wonderful. Perhaps took a little while to get going for me but overall I did like the movie.
  • WhyHelloWorldWhyHelloWorld Posts: 15,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have been waiting to see this for so long, and have been so excited about it.

I saw it tonight, and was greatly disappointed. I love Mila Kunis so much! But...my god she was so bad in this film. The other two witches were terrible too. James Franco...just...i don't know what happened.

There was something not quite right about this film...and...i honestly don't know what it is. It was boring, it dragged on, the actors just...came across terribly. Don't even get me started on that annoying little china doll.

Overall...3.5/10. The colours looked magnificent and the story was good, but nothing fitted together and think it was quite a disaster overall.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 308
    Forum Member
    I took my kids to see it in 3D today. They loved it.

I did not.

Visually stunning but way too slow to get going. Didn't like James Franco. He remained dislikeable throughout. And despite some amazing effects, as usual, the 3D seemed to just suck too much color out of the screen.

Was on my "one to watch in 2013" list, but was left very underwhelmed.

One thing I kept thinking though. Considering when The Wizard of Oz was made, the special effects in that film in many ways were far superior to some that I saw today. And I can't ever see myself wanting to watch The Great and Powerful again, but TWOO will remain a timeless classic. Such a shame that its prequel didn't do it the justice it deserved. And if Disney couldn't do it properly because of the legal issues, than they should have just left it alone.
    Forum Member
    Going to see it today :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bluray wrote: »
    Anyone?

Glinda is not their sister
    Forum Member
    Oz: The Great and Powerful - 2.5/5

I quite enjoyed it, while its obviously not a patch on the original it was pretty funny in places and I liked the nods and links to the original. Starting the film off in black and white (and 4/3) changing to 21/9 and beautuful colours in Oz was quite cool :D Unfortunately James Franco is an unlikeable arsehole for most of the film to be honest,
    I did feel sorry for Theadora though who had her heart broken by the Wizard and was tricked by her sister :( No redemption for her :( Her transformation was too quick, a gradual one (maybe just that shot of the hand a coming over the table at the end) would have been more effective. Sadly miscast even as a cackling stereotype (even if she was green, I would, wouldnt you?) ;)
    - Rachel Weisz on the other hand, gets by channelling the Wicked Queen from Snow White.
    A good movie, but could have been better. The Wizard is still a cheat and fake in my eyes. :(
    Forum Member
    BTW I just realised something, did this film remind anyone else of Army of Darkness? :D
  • Yobaba**Yobaba** Posts: 4,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd give it 6/10.

Enjoyable enough, lacking any real depth or bite to it though. The actors aren't great either. The witches are one-dimensional, lacking much subtlety, and the Wizard himself isn't particularly likeable. I did think that it was better than Alice but that is damning it with false praise. For the first hour or so, it is terrible. But once the second hour kicks in it gets better, thought not a great movie by any means.
  • GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed it and would probably watch it again if any of my friends wanted to :)
  • AtlanticAtlantic Posts: 936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    BTW I just realised something, did this film remind anyone else of Army of Darkness? :D

Yes indeed. The guys at redlettermedia.com mentions this in their review here.

Also is it just me or did anyone else find Mila Kunis' character more sexy after her transformation?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Atlantic wrote: »
    Yes indeed. The guys at redlettermedia.com mentions this in their review here.

Also is it just me or did anyone else find Mila Kunis' character more sexy after her transformation?

And there lies the problem with the casting.
    Was Margaret Hamilton sexy in The Wizard of Oz? No - she was made genuinely look like an ugly witch. Mila Kunis simply has green make up and a figure hugging black outfit. A wicked witch she ain't.
    Casting fail!
    Forum Member
    Even in the green make up, I still would :D I mean, Kunis just looked too hot to look scary, she's wearing TIGHT LEATHER! :)
    She looked great before her transformation too though ;)
  • AtlanticAtlantic Posts: 936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And as a wicked witch you know she'll be up for anything, the dirty girl.
  • maddiesdoormaddiesdoor Posts: 828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My local cinema has stopped showing it! :mad:
  • mysty211mysty211 Posts: 4,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw the film last week. I thought it was brilliant. I expected it just to be a remake of the classic but i'm glad they made their own version of the Wizard of Oz. It's worth seeing and the effects are great I saw it in 2D. I'd give it a 3.5 it is slow to start it took me a while to get into the movie. It's a good modern version of Oz.
  • StigOfTheKrumpStigOfTheKrump Posts: 36,363
    Forum Member
    I saw this today in 3D (I'll be honest - the effects would look worse without it). I liked the nods to the classic version, and overall it wasn't bad. Just a little too Disney-ish if anything.
  • wolfukwolfuk Posts: 367
    Forum Member
    mysty211 wrote: »
    I saw the film last week. I thought it was brilliant. I expected it just to be a remake of the classic but i'm glad they made their own version of the Wizard of Oz. It's worth seeing and the effects are great I saw it in 2D. I'd give it a 3.5 it is slow to start it took me a while to get into the movie. It's a good modern version of Oz.

Correction this is not their version or a modern version of the Wizard of OZ, and it was never meant to be a remake of it either, its a prequel to wizard of OZ
  • maddiesdoormaddiesdoor Posts: 828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From the clips I've seen on YouTube of Theodora (after the transformation), I thought Mila has got it spot on. Don't forget this a younger witch, not the older one we are used too. The laugh was brilliant too. But I need to see it in full so won't judge fully yet.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From the clips I've seen on YouTube of Theodora (after the transformation), I thought Mila has got it spot on. Don't forget this a younger witch, not the older one we are used too. The laugh was brilliant too. But I need to see it in full so won't judge fully yet.

I agree, just saw it tonight and I thought she was great in it. I enjoyed the film but would have like it more if two idiots behind me hadn't chatted the whole way through. 'What's she been in?' 'Dawson's Creek'. AAAARRRRGGGHHHH! :mad::rolleyes::D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 211
    Forum Member
    Pile of crap.
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    saw this last night , I really liked it , and there are moments where its an absolute delight .

the best things are - the china doll and the talking monkey , they just steal the movie , it does wander off track a bit in the final 3rd , I wasn't very interested in the Witches and their feuds .

it looked great too . Franco was good , but I couldn't help wondering if they wrote the role for Jonny Depp .