• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    corriander wrote: »
    A coloured vinyl disc, that is why. Not sure which colour.:confused:
    More a picture disc -
    http://s.pixogs.com/image/R-522746-1128348688.jpeg
    The pure white went off-colour pretty quickly to a yellowy cream. You can't see from the pic, but it came iin a transparent sleeve with black edges.
    Very thick vinyl, and the sound quality was surprisingly good for a piture disc. The B side 'Moving In Stereo' is a fine, moody piece.
    The sales were helped by them touring the UK at the time, (Sussex University, since you asked, C :D ) and being darlings of NME.
  • Options
    UrsulaUUrsulaU Posts: 7,239
    Forum Member
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    After all, he was the new kid on the block at Radio 1 and not only that but was thrown into the deep end immediately with TOTP too. Someone must have liked him. That was quite a rapid and stratospheric rise. What had he been doing in the immediate period before 1978 that led to this? I bet there were a few backstairs resentments from a few DJ's behind the scenes when newer, younger presenters came along. Mike Read still looks and sounds much the same too, doesn't he.

Yes - I think all of the newer DJs - Mike Read, Peter Powell, Simon Bates ...- must all have felt really priviledged to get a presenting job on TV's top music show! Especially, like you say - others would've been waiting in the wings! ;)
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UrsulaU wrote: »
    Yes - I think all of the newer DJs - Mike Read, Peter Powell, Simon Bates ...- must all have felt really priviledged to get a presenting job on TV's top music show! Especially, like you say - others would've been waiting in the wings! ;)

I know Simon Bates had already begun doing the Sunday chart show on the radio by this point in 1978 but I don't think he had yet presented his first edition of TOTP. Someone here will probably have the answer to when that comes along. :confused:
  • Options
    darren1090darren1090 Posts: 211
    Forum Member
    I don't much care for the Cars track, My Best Friend's Girl. Equally surprising that for a previously uncharted act they crashed straight into the chart at No10 with a rather average song I think, which ended up top three. Much prefer a song that missed the Top 75 seven years later, Heartbreak City. Was there any particular reason this Cars track proved so popular and charted unusually highly for the time?

As mentioned above, I believe it was the first commercially available picture single in the UK.

It was in 1978 that some singles started being released on coloured vinyl; particularly disco and punk singles. At least, I'm not aware of any from earlier. Though most of my coloured vinyl is 12" singles from 1979. I have a pink 7" single by Sylvester. :D
  • Options
    corriandercorriander Posts: 6,207
    Forum Member
    Following their "Treble 2" eh. ;)

I thought it was quadruple two actually; but maybe Daddy Cool charted lower.:confused:
  • Options
    corriandercorriander Posts: 6,207
    Forum Member
    More a picture disc -
    http://s.pixogs.com/image/R-522746-1128348688.jpeg
    The pure white went off-colour pretty quickly to a yellowy cream. You can't see from the pic, but it came iin a transparent sleeve with black edges.
    Very thick vinyl, and the sound quality was surprisingly good for a piture disc. The B side 'Moving In Stereo' is a fine, moody piece.
    The sales were helped by them touring the UK at the time, (Sussex University, since you asked, C :D ) and being darlings of NME.
    That explains it. A picture disc. I do remember this from the time, and there was much fuss. It had a big role in the chart position.:)
  • Options
    darren1090darren1090 Posts: 211
    Forum Member
    I agree that Mike Read's debut on TOTP tonight was rather wooden and the interview in the middle was a bit of a cringe, but we can forgive it and put it down to nerves I suppose. After all, he was the new kid on the block at Radio 1 and not only that but was thrown into the deep end immediately with TOTP too. Someone must have liked him. That was quite a rapid and stratospheric rise. What had he been doing in the immediate period before 1978 that led to this? I bet there were a few backstairs resentments from a few DJ's behind the scenes when newer, younger presenters came along. Mike Read still looks and sounds much the same too, doesn't he.

Mike Read started off as a DJ on our local radio station in Reading, Radio 210. :D (it eventually morphed into yet another Heart clone station). :mad:

Steve Wright also worked at 210; Mike and Steve briefly presented the "Read and Wright show" IIRC. Thy both left for brief stints at Radio Luxembourg before ending up on Radio 1, one after the other. I think the people of Reading were very proud of their two ex DJs becoming household names.
  • Options
    chemical2009bchemical2009b Posts: 5,250
    Forum Member
    I know Simon Bates had already begun doing the Sunday chart show on the radio by this point in 1978 but I don't think he had yet presented his first edition of TOTP. Someone here will probably have the answer to when that comes along. :confused:

December 6th 1979 was Bates's first show so we only have over a year to wait before his BBC Four debut now 1979 looks likely. :)
  • Options
    faversham saintfaversham saint Posts: 2,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    darren1090 wrote: »
    It was in 1978 that some singles started being released on coloured vinyl; particularly disco and punk singles. At least, I'm not aware of any from earlier. Though most of my coloured vinyl is 12" singles from 1979. I have a pink 7" single by Sylvester. :D

BIB - plastic punks Jet Bronx and the Forbidden released their single 'Ain't Doin' Nothin'' on red vinyl in late 1977 which peaked at No. 49 on the official BBC chart.

The song was written by their lead singer and guitarist Loyd Grossman who went on to appear in TV programmes such as 'Through the Keyhole' and 'Masterchef'.
  • Options
    mrbernaymrbernay Posts: 146,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mike Read started off as a DJ on our local radio station in Reading, Radio 210. :D (it eventually morphed into yet another Heart clone station). :mad:

Steve Wright also worked at 210; Mike and Steve briefly presented the "Read and Wright show" IIRC. Thy both left for brief stints at Radio Luxembourg before ending up on Radio 1, one after the other. I think the people of Reading were very proud of their two ex DJs becoming household names.

Good post into their Berkshire backgrounds...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BIB - plastic punks Jet Bronx and the Forbidden released their single 'Ain't Doin' Nothin'' on red vinyl in late 1977 which peaked at No. 49 on the official BBC chart.
    Been racking my brains and the interwebthingy trying to think of singles that were on coloured vinyl before 1978 (other than children's records, which had been continually since the 1950s). Plenty of albums (Dave Mason, Saturnalia, Faust ...), but not singles

I've come across two I never knew at the time - ELO 'Mr Blue Sky' (blue vinyl of course) and 'Sweet Talking Woman' (purple), both 1977. And I'd forgotten about Foreigner's 'Cold As Ice' in clear sleeve with 'ice-coloured vinyl', also 1977.
    Earliest I've found so far is Little Nell's 'Do The Swim' on bright red vinyl on A&M in 1976.
  • Options
    alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Been racking my brains and the interwebthingy trying to think of singles that were on coloured vinyl before 1978 (other than children's records, which had been continually since the 1950s). Plenty of albums (Dave Mason, Saturnalia, Faust ...), but not singles

I've come across two I never knew at the time - ELO 'Mr Blue Sky' (blue vinyl of course) and 'Sweet Talking Woman' (purple), both 1977. And I'd forgotten about Foreigner's 'Cold As Ice' in clear sleeve with 'ice-coloured vinyl', also 1977.
    Earliest I've found so far is Little Nell's 'Do The Swim' on bright red vinyl on A&M in 1976.
    Wasn't there a run of the whole OOTB album on blue vinyl?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So I'm not going mental then? They really DID play the film clips on TOTP back in 1978 and now they're slotting in those horrible cheesy routines to save money in the present day?

Thanks for the explanation because I have very strong memories of sitting in Chemistry on Friday mornings discussing Sandy's black pedal pushers.
    Another track we'll lose in 1979/1980 - or tracks - will be a lot of Hazel O'Connor stuff as Eighth Day used the film clip from breaking Glass...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Customary male gaze in CU on Legs and Co Dan Hartman VT
  • Options
    LabLab Posts: 2,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrbernay wrote: »
    Wonder if Bob can really play the sax :D:D:D

The Musicians Union kicked up a fuss about Bob miming the sax part as he was taking employment away from real sax players.

So in future appearances he "plays" a candelabra instead of a sax.

No candelabra players complained.
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just caught Chas & Dave on the late edition of tonight's TOTP. They never ever change do they! That's a compliment by the way, as I saw them just a few days ago on Later...with Jools.

Also interesting to see Liquid Gold appearing on TOTP in late 1978. I had no idea they were around this early on, and thought Dance Yourself Dizzy, their No2 smash from spring 1980 was their debut. That is another guilty pleasure on my iPod.

Thanks to Chemical2009 for the date of Simon Bates debut on TOTP, I knew someone would know. Also some nice background about Mike Read pre-his debut 1978 appearance from Darren.

You really couldn't make up the musician's union nonsense over Geldof and pretending to play a sax on his own damned record! A typical 70's sounding anecdote there. Britain may have been the "sick man of Europe" as they said by 1978, but at least the ill country had some damned good music to convalesce to.
  • Options
    Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Did ex BBC Radio Birmingham Dj Peter Powell get much coverage locally when he joined TOTP?
  • Options
    R VR V Posts: 462
    Forum Member
    corriander wrote: »
    Entirely sound.:)

Just an anecdote to illustrate. I saw the Buzzcocks in New castle, supported by Joy Division no less, in October 1979. They were ranting and rowing on stage, and theirs was a frustrating performance. They were simply losing momentum.:eek:

I was at that one too :)
  • Options
    kwynne42kwynne42 Posts: 75,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just caught Chas & Dave on the late edition of tonight's TOTP. They never ever change do they! That's a compliment by the way, as I saw them just a few days ago on Later...with Jools.

Also interesting to see Liquid Gold appearing on TOTP in late 1978. I had no idea they were around this early on, and thought Dance Yourself Dizzy, their No2 smash from spring 1980 was their debut. That is another guilty pleasure on my iPod.

Thanks to Chemical2009 for the date of Simon Bates debut on TOTP, I knew someone would know. Also some nice background about Mike Read pre-his debut 1978 appearance from Darren.

You really couldn't make up the musician's union nonsense over Geldof and pretending to play a sax on his own damned record! A typical 70's sounding anecdote there. Britain may have been the "sick man of Europe" as they said by 1978, but at least the ill country had some damned good music to convalesce to.

It wasn't one of Chas and Daves better efforts.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alcockell wrote: »
    Here we go..
    Mike Read's debut appearance..

And was touchy feely with lots of women so he was keeping up with continuity.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    Hopelessly perverted for you.

Grease was very popular 3 of the top 4 this week.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hesychast wrote: »
    A Den Hegarty-less Darts. This must be between him leaving, and them getting Kenny Andrews in

I was wondering why they needed another singer since they already have about 4.
  • Options
    Tele_addictTele_addict Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't think the new lead singer could've done much for Darts, think 1978 was the last year they had a hit
  • Options
    RPMRPM Posts: 521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't think the new lead singer could've done much for Darts, think 1978 was the last year they had a hit

They had 2 top 10 hits in 1979, and then a number 11 hit in 1980.