House training problems

Stephen93Stephen93 Posts: 1,082
Forum Member
✭✭✭
We have a 15 week old Border Terrier pup, he's been with us 5 weeks, we take him out when he wakes & after being fed, he does his wees & poos more often than not but sometimes he will be out for ages, not do anything and when he comes back he will do it in the kitchen. It is very frustrating.

Also when we take him out for walks he will not wee or poo until he gets back home. We are taking him to Scotland in a few days time, he will have to do it then. I hope!!!!
Has anyone else had this problem?

Any help would be greatly appreaciated

Steve

Comments

• AbsolutelyAbsolutely Posts: 1,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When we trained our dogs, we taken them out like you said after food, drink, sleep and play. We stay out with them give a command word and when they do what you hope they do, ours always got a treat. The same on our walks. I think they will soon learn that way.
  • mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have raised a couple of dogs from puppies. I was fortunate to be at home during the early weeks and was on their case the whole day :D. One sign of a toilet moment coming on and they were whisked outside. We didn't even bother with the newspaper method. They soon got the idea and were house trained in under a month.
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have always found boys harder to train than girls, 15 weeks is still very young, I would try to teach a command, watch when the dog usually goes, and stay outside until he actually goes if it is a time he would normally go.

They do get it eventually but at that age everything is so exciting they sometimes forget what they are out side for each time.

Also make sure you are cleaning up with something that removes the smell from the house as they will return to previous spot if they find the odour.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You didn't start off with puppy pads indoors did you?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    orangebird wrote: »
    You didn't start off with puppy pads indoors did you?

Nothing wrong with doing that, in a flat we have always started with them as little bladders cannot make it down stairs and across carpark before letting go. I doesn't stop them learning just makes early mornings and late nights less worrying.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with doing that, in a flat we have always started with them as little bladders cannot make it down stairs and across carpark before letting go. I doesn't stop them learning just makes early mornings and late nights less worrying.

In my opinion, it teaches them it's ok to pee in the house. As long as they're only used overnight it's fine. Although I don't see what's wrong with newspaper...
  • MuzeMuze Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it just takes persistence and super high value rewards, lots of people just use verbal praise which is ok but not as motivating as a nice treat AFTER they've gone in the right place.
    And wait outside for as long as it takes

Puppy pads have their place for people in flats IMO, little pups just cannot hold on long enough to get them outside, they can removed when pups are a bit older and have more bladder control.

Try not to get into this mindset that she's not getting it or all the other pups trained much faster, this only breeds frustration which will not help matters.
    All pups (and owners) are different, some click almost immediately, some take months
  • mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just a funny story here. We had a red setter we thought was house trained. If we left him a little while there was no sign of anything on our return. Brilliant! Then one day I noticed a funny smell - traced to the coir mat in the door well. Lifted it up and it dripped - the door well was full of urine! :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    orangebird wrote: »
    In my opinion, it teaches them it's ok to pee in the house. As long as they're only used overnight it's fine. Although I don't see what's wrong with newspaper...

Well I had to either buy newspapers or pads seemed much of a muchness pricewise. But we actually carried on with our towels approach that we used when Molliepops couldn't get downstairs, Two folded towels in the hallway, they did what was needed on those then I could chuck them into the washing machine, seemed more absorbent and cheaper than paper or pads. When you live in a flat you have to make do as well as you can, when they are young, old, after operations, injuries etc it just isn't always possible to take them up and down stairs numerous times a day.
  • MuzeMuze Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember when I had my first dog, a decent sized mastiff cross, we were in a second floor flat for the first 6 months and it was exhausting lugging 15kg up and down the stairs several times a day lol so puppy pads and newspaper were a godsend.

It did take a bit longer but we got there in the end lol
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muze wrote: »
    I remember when I had my first dog, a decent sized mastiff cross, we were in a second floor flat for the first 6 months and it was exhausting lugging 15kg up and down the stairs several times a day lol so puppy pads and newspaper were a godsend.

It did take a bit longer but we got there in the end lol

Biggest I have hefted is a retriever cross and she was heavy enough so don't envy you that one :D