Ed Miliband's aide accused of 'Northerners are backward' comment

2»

Comments

• MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Moxey wrote: »
    He went to a comprehensive school. Speaking in general, a little research would stop people making fools of themselves

He apparently got bullied there and had private home tuition. He then followed his brother to do exactly the same degree at the same Oxford college, then became a SPAD, MP for a northern seat, a minister and then ran for Labour leader just like his brother. I am sure he is a nice guy but have you ever seen that film 'Single white female'.

I am afraid the closest most of these Camden and Islington lefties get to seeing northern working class people is when they watch the Village on BBC1!:D
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    He apparently got bullied there and had private home tuition. He then followed his brother to do exactly the same degree at the same Oxford college, then became a SPAD, MP for a northern seat, a minister and then ran for Labour leader just like his brother. I am sure he is a nice guy but have you ever seen that film 'Single white female'.

I'm sure he is too. I've never heard anyone, even his biggest political opponents, say he isn't anything but a nice (if nerdy) guy. I'm sure he's a great father and always remembers his wife's birthday. I'd have no problem living next door to him as he's not the sort to have loud parties on a school night, but as a Prime Minister of the United Kingdom? May be we should be asking for more,.
  • OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    , it was claimed last night.
    Anna Yearley, the Labour leader’s political secretary and ‘fixer’, is said to have made the remark
    the allegation is especially embarrassing for Mr Miliband,
    IS IT? why and who says?
    But Mr Mitchell hit back, revealing Chief Whip Rosie Winterton, who was present at meetings between them, confirmed it. Miss Winterton later disputed this
    Mr Mitchell said yesterday: ‘Ms Yearley said Yorkshire and Northerners are very backward when it comes to choosing women and something had to be done about it.
    Ah so, not actually "northerners are backward" at all, as the headline misleads, imagine that, the mail missed out the "when it comes to choosing women" part, I can't for the life of me imagine why they would do that?
    A Labour spokesman said: ‘These claims are untrue
    who was the "spokesman"? didn't quite catch the name.

SO, to sum up,

someone allegedly said something to someone about which we have no proof and even if someone did say it, it wasn't actually what the mail's headline said it was that they might have said, which was,
    Senior Miliband aide in 'Northerners are backward'
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2732865/Miliband-aide-Northerners-backward-storm-replacing-elderly-male-MPs-young-women.html#ixzz3BGW3ifFB

and even if someone did say the thing that someone alleges they said, which wasn't the thing that the headline says they said,
    that person wasn't Ed Miliband but the Daily Mail (that well known politically unbiased "newspaper")
    tries to associate the thing that someone might have said, which they then admit isn't the thing their headline says they said,..... with Ed Miliband, who definitely didn't say the thing that someone says someone said,

I think that just about covers it?
    except to say that speaking as a "northern male" I don't really care if someone DID say the thing that someone says someone said, even if it WAS the thing that the Mail tried to pretend that the person said, which we know they certainly didn't say, and nor did Ed Miliband.
  • MoxeyMoxey Posts: 1,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I am afraid the closest most of these Camden and Islington lefties get to seeing northern working class people is when they watch the Village on BBC1!:D

Once I saw the use of the word "apparently" you"ll understand if I say I didn't read any more. "Apparently" is the foundation of all Tory posts here. I'm growing tired of having to debunk all of the,em,untruths of Crosby's little helpers.
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Once I saw the use of the word "apparently" you"ll understand if I say I didn't read any more. "Apparently" is the foundation of all Tory posts here. I'm growing tired of having to debunk all of the,em,untruths of Crosby's little helpers.

What makes you think I am a Conservative? Presumably you are of the Labour perfect Tory evil and vice versa posters who ruin this forum because they lack objectivity and are overtly partisan,
  • MoxeyMoxey Posts: 1,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What makes you think I am a Conservative? Presumably you are of the Labour perfect Tory evil and vice versa posters who ruin this forum because they lack objectivity and are overtly partisan,

I think I happened to answer that question in advance Read the post (clue : apparently).Anyway Tories/ people aping Tories/ UKIP/BNP, they all invent things about Ed Miliband. How are honest people expected to distinguish between them?
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    According to Austin Mitchell, she didn't say northerners were backward, just that the attitudes were.

I would think that about sums it up, tha knows.
  • nomad2kingnomad2king Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    Why shouldn't they complain about all-women shortlists? All-women shortlists are fundamentally wrong.
  • PrestonAlPrestonAl Posts: 10,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think I happened to answer that question in advance Read the post (clue : apparently).Anyway Tories/ people aping Tories/ UKIP/BNP, they all invent things about Ed Miliband. How are honest people expected to distinguish between them?

Similar to the way Labour/BNP seem to say things about cameron?
  • jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All women shortlists in any other area would be deemed discriminatory, I've no idea why they are regarded as ok in politics.
  • Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nomad2king wrote: »
    Why shouldn't they complain about all-women shortlists? All-women shortlists are fundamentally wrong.

Indeed - Ms Yearly is in favour of sexual discrimination but she calls those want to stamp it out 'backward'. Hmmm, food for thought.
  • nomad2kingnomad2king Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    jmclaugh wrote: »
    All women shortlists in any other area would be deemed discriminatory, I've no idea why they are regarded as ok in politics.
    They had to pass a separate law to allow it, ie Sex Discrimination (Election Candidates) Act 2002. Why should it be allowed to pass a Law purely to enable a Political Party related policy? Although the Law might "expire" at the end of next year.
    3 Expiry
    (1)This Act shall expire at the end of 2015 unless an order is made under this section.
    (2)At any time before this Act expires the Lord Privy Seal may by order provide that subsection (1) shall have effect with the substitution of a later time for the time specified there (whether originally or by virtue of a previous order).
    (3)An order under this section shall be made by statutory instrument; but no order shall be made unless a draft has been laid before, and approved by resolution of, each House of Parliament.
  • WhiteFangWhiteFang Posts: 3,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    I grew up in the North East but I have never understood why the region keeps supporting Labour. The party has never done anything for the area and just treats them as reliable voting fodder.

At the national level, the party sends up bright young things with their Oxford PPE degrees to "represent" them and then are never seen in the constituency until the next election. Locally, you have town and cities which are virtual one-party states where nothing ever changes.

Igrew up in the North
  • John146John146 Posts: 12,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WhiteFang wrote: »
    Igrew up in the North

I live in the North.....
  • jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had to laugh at this one as women only shortlists are all the rage with Juncker, as member states are told off for nominating male candidates. Apparently it is of course ok for a man, Juncker, to be EC president though.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/eu/11055397/Britain-denied-key-EU-role-for-not-picking-a-woman.html
  • Gregory ShapeGregory Shape Posts: 2,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose people up north will be thinking, 'what we need is a public school Kent broker with a self-proclaimed rubbish manifesto'.

If you're referring to Farage, he's already chosen the constituency in which he'll be standing next year, and it isn't 'up north'.

Kent man to stand in Kent shocker. Has this man no shame?
  • SallyforthSallyforth Posts: 7,404
    Forum Member
    Buster1874 wrote: »
    It most certainly is not the party of the northern, working class man!

Nor indeed woman.... but I won't be voting UKIP as some on here suggest.
  • Rastus PiefaceRastus Pieface Posts: 4,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Buster1874 wrote: »
    It most certainly is not the party of the northern, working class man!

can anyone name a party that represents working class folk?
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    can anyone name a party that represents working class folk?

UKIP? :D
  • Rastus PiefaceRastus Pieface Posts: 4,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    UKIP? :D

naughty naughty.:D.

you just know who will come along later with his usual "bnp in blazers" comment.
  • OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PrestonAl wrote: »
    Similar to the way Labour/BNP seem to say things about cameron?

Got any examples for us?