Next doors neighbours cats always left outside in cold :(

13»

Comments

• cats_fivecats_five Posts: 1,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you know which desert/s they originally came from? I'm getting interested in the history of the cat, where they came from, why we brought them to this country (if, in fact we did).

It also seems odd that they have thick coats if they originally came from a warm climate.

Google is your best friend:

http://www.google.co.uk/#sclient=psy&hl=en&q=domestic+cat+origin&aq=0&aqi=g1g-v3g-o1&aql=&oq=domestic+cat+or&gs_rfai=&pbx=1&fp=4a69670747b1f592

As to the thick coats, that's evolution. It's still going on. There is a remarkable similarity between the 'natural' breeds from cold places (Maine ****, Norway Forest Cat and others) - large body size, thick double winter coat, nice big fluffy tail to use as a duvet.
  • LippincoteLippincote Posts: 7,132
    Forum Member
    Thanks for saving me the trouble cats five:)

Not all cats have thick coats, there is a huge variation between a Maine **** and an Oriental like a Siamese which has a very thin coat. A typical DSH has something in between.
  • cats_fivecats_five Posts: 1,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lippincote wrote: »
    Not all cats have thick coats, there is a huge variation between a Maine **** and an Oriental like a Siamese which has a very thin coat. A typical DSH has something in between.

Yes. My Oriental Black has a coat about 1cm long, my DSH is a typical sort of length. Looking at the variety of pedigree coats (from Siamese to Persian) simply illustrates the potential for different coat types and lengths in domestic cats.

The cats I saw in the Ionian (Greece) tended to be long and slender with a short coat. Lots of UK folks thought they were starved, but the ones that let me stroke them were simply a very slender build with not much thickness of coat.
  • RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cats_five wrote: »
    Google is your best friend:

http://www.google.co.uk/#sclient=psy&hl=en&q=domestic+cat+origin&aq=0&aqi=g1g-v3g-o1&aql=&oq=domestic+cat+or&gs_rfai=&pbx=1&fp=4a69670747b1f592

As to the thick coats, that's evolution. It's still going on. There is a remarkable similarity between the 'natural' breeds from cold places (Maine ****, Norway Forest Cat and others) - large body size, thick double winter coat, nice big fluffy tail to use as a duvet.

Thanks, some interesting stuff there. :)