Options

Irish woman is the first to surf in Iran

2+2=52+2=5 Posts: 24,264
Forum Member
✭✭✭
When Irishwoman Easkey Britton climbed onto a surfboard on a beach in Iran, the whole of the local village turned out to watch.

"They were just so friendly and so curious - they hadn't seen surfing before," she said.

Easkey, 26, now stars in a documentary about becoming the first woman to surf in the Islamic country.

Easkey travelled to southern Iran last September with Marion, who is French. It was a journey that transformed the women's view of the country.

"We headed off to this Islamic Republic as two women looking for waves," she said.

It seemed a little bizarre and they had a few preconceptions that were quickly squashed.

"The moment we landed, people were incredibly welcoming and Iran has an amazing heritage. Yes, as women we had to have our heads covered and it was incredibly hot."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-19802822

It's a nice story, I think. Wouldn't most of us love to go around the world doing what you love doing most? Nice that she learnt a bit more about the country and that it didn't match up to her initial ideas of what it would be like.

Comments

• Options
    GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Those hills look cool.
    I love surfing but I think somewhere like Iran would put me off as much as sharks would.
  • Options
    Grabid RanniesGrabid Rannies Posts: 4,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm glad preconceptions were subverted, but seriously, not one woman has ever surfed there before? :eek:

When was the first man :confused:
  • Options
    welsh_petewelsh_pete Posts: 535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The western media will convince you that Iran is populated by dark-aged dwellers living in mud huts. If you look elsewhere you'll find alternative views.
  • Options
    Pet1986Pet1986 Posts: 7,701
    Forum Member
    What a lovely and positive story :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice story. But I would take with a pinch of salt, the comment

'they hadn't seen surfing before'.

Iranians are a well educated and fairly advanced lot and I would be surprised if they hadn't.

Nice to hear stories like this though.
  • Options
    workhorseworkhorse Posts: 2,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A woman has been in space but had not surfed in Iran now that's amazing.
  • Options
    CasualCasual Posts: 2,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm surprised it's taken until 2012 for a woman in Iran to decide that going surfing might be a nice idea. I look forward to the next uplifting update about how another woman was the first to do some light gardening.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And she'll have fun, fun, fun 'til the VEVAK come and put her away...
  • Options
    workhorseworkhorse Posts: 2,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I told my son about this story,and my incredulity Iranian woman didn't surf there,he said because their not allowed out of the house,I said that's not TRUE as I remember meeting an Iranian girl in Paris at a youth hostel and she was good fun and seemed more worldly than me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm I suppose if we transferred the claim to Bangkok we might indeed find scope for the waters to be muddied with the sex issue ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish they all could be Bandar e Abbas girls.

http://tedchang.free.fr/WestAsia/Iran/BandarBeach.jpg
  • Options
    VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Takes all sorts I suppose. But the amount of incredible historical and cultural sites that would be amazing to see in Iran and she goes surfing!
  • Options
    JunipertJunipert Posts: 1,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now what would have been breaking news if the first Irish woman to have a playful water fight with young Iranians in the summer heat.:)
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    My post has been removed, therefore I can't contribute any more. :cry:
  • Options
    DaisyBillDaisyBill Posts: 4,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This story would have been much nicer IMO if an Iranian woman had been the first woman to surf in Iran.
    I saw a programme a few years ago in which Iranian women went skiing in the mountainous area of Iran, away from the 'religious police'. Only there they were able to wear western style ski clothes and mingle freely with other skiers.
    I find it very sad that people's freedoms are so curtailed by religious beliefs. My favourite thing is swimming, and I can't imagine what it would feel like if I was suddenly forbidden to do it, or only permitted to do it under very limited conditions.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    jra wrote: »
    My post has been removed, therefore I can't contribute any more. :cry:

I reckon a page full has gone.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    I reckon a page full has gone.

How odd that a full page of uncontentious posts seem to have vanished, mine included. :confused:
  • Options
    tremetreme Posts: 5,445
    Forum Member
    Mine too. Quelle surprise?
  • Options
    VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suppose what saddens me is that although there was inexcusable poverty in Iran, unlike Saudi Arabia it was considered sophisticated and cosmopolitan pre1979 in the cities. Now we're getting excited at a woman surfing.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was going to be that she was the first to surf the internet !!!
  • Options
    sutiesutie Posts: 32,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    How odd that a full page of uncontentious posts seem to have vanished, mine included. :confused:

And mine. :confused: I wonder what we said that was so unacceptable? The gist of mine was that it would have been wonderful if the story was un-newsworthy because all women in Islamic countries could do unremarkable things like this whenever they wanted to.

Is that really such an unacceptable thing to say?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm glad I'm not the only one to notice the extreme truncation. At the point I went to bed last night (about 11:15ish) it was into the second page.

I'll say for the record (as transient as it will seemingly stand) that I said nothing remotely contentious about 'the woman', 'Iran', or anything else. My first post expressed surprise merely at the timing, and I queried when the first man might have surfed there, just as comparison. Obviously surfing is going to be far more popular in some countries than others, not that I thought national statistics were kept everywhere on that kind of thing.

It's a mystery, as Toyah would have said!!
  • Options
    MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    The only newsworthy thing is that it's news that a woman managed a sneaky surf, and avoided that classic Californian mistake of getting stoned afterwards.
  • Options
    tremetreme Posts: 5,445
    Forum Member
    sutie wrote: »
    And mine. :confused: I wonder what we said that was so unacceptable? The gist of mine was that it would have been wonderful if the story was un-newsworthy because all women in Islamic countries could do unremarkable things like this whenever they wanted to.

Is that really such an unacceptable thing to say?

Mine was a joke, a decent one too for a change. :(
  • Options
    2+2=52+2=5 Posts: 24,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MAW wrote: »
    The only newsworthy thing is that it's news that a woman managed a sneaky surf, and avoided that classic Californian mistake of getting stoned afterwards.

So you missed the bit where the police checked up on them to see they were ok?

Good to see English comprehension standards in the UK are at an all time high, eh?