Homemade Rabbit Toys

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,606
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm picking up two rabbits tomorrow. I'm a newbie to bunny care, although I have been doing tonnes of research, since I just knew that the advice Pets at Home gave would be completely wrong.

Anyhow I have been having a lot of fun trawling charity shops and pound shops for items that I can craft bunny toys out of. I don't really want to buy any purpose-made rabbit toys because it seems so much more fun and engaging to make my own, or to buy things that aren't meant to be rabbit toys but which can be adapted for that use.

Other bunny keepers: which toys do your rabbits like the most? What have you made at home that they love?

So far I have:
- a plastic sippy cup for them to roll around, I can also put some veggies or hay in it
- a few squares of carpet for them to chew or dig
- a large plastic punch bowl that will be ideal for burrowing. I will fill it with shredded paper.
- some cardboard tubes from kitchen roll/toilet paper
- a small tennis-type ball
- a dog chew toy
- a book for them to shred (Dannii Minogue's biography - millions of them in the 99p store)
- an old wooden chopping board for gnawing

I'm planning to go to the local hospice shop in the morning, they always have children's toys that will be great for the bunnies.

Please share your toy ideas :D

Comments

• missyaliciamissyalicia Posts: 2,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Newspaper, telephone directory, kitchen/toilet roll tube, plastic flower pot, cardboard box with a hole in and filled with hay, a cuddly toy, fleece blanket, baby rattle, plastic bottle.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also a plastic tub half filled with woodshavings and then hay to dig.
  • topcat2topcat2 Posts: 6,265
    Forum Member
    did anyone else read the title think what the heck then realise it was in the pet section

just me then...
  • andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    topcat2 wrote: »
    did anyone else read the title think what the heck then realise it was in the pet section

yes :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    topcat2 wrote: »

just me then...

Haha :D

I really did not think it could be taken a different way!
  • xdowxdow Posts: 2,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my buns quite liked playing with a "Bamboozle" in the summer

it's actually for dogs, a piece of a large bamboo plant with a hole in it which you fill with the dogs food, or in this case, the rabbits wagg.

you can make the same thing with a pop bottle with holes cut in it

a paper bag stuffed with hay and perhaps with a bit of either pellet food or some veggies in it always goes down a treat with mine too,
    i give them odd off cuts of wood as well, which they like to gnaw (saves the hutches too!)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes a paper with hay and food in is a great idea! Mine also love tossing metal food bowls around.
  • spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Our old Rabbit George was obsessed with an old plastic plant pot he would spend hours flipping it around his run , He also loved hiding under it and trying to hop around whilst hiding under it ,

He also had a ball he used to chase around the run with
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some great ideas here :)

Just a few hours until I bring the boys home, I'm very excited :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 72
    Forum Member
    We have three house bunnies and their absolute favourite thing is a cardboard box. We find destructive behaviour disappears completely if they just have a box to hop in and out of, jump on top of and dig in. They also like stealing coasters from the coffee table and throwing them around :)