Buying from Dell online & Dell customer service

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,606
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I bought a new laptop from Dell.co.uk at the weekend. On Sunday I had an e-mail in my mailbox saying:
Dear Customer,

Thank you for choosing Dell!
This is a communication from the Dell Order Verification Team.
This is to confirm that you can be contacted on the e-mail ID you have provided.
Kindly reply to this e-mail from your business / University Email address to proceed with the Order.
Dell is committed to providing a safe and secure shopping experience for our customers

My first thought was that it sounded like a scam, but it checks out. My second thought was that it was bizarre and I have never been asked to provide a non-gmail address. I replied to say I could be contacted at the address provided.

Today, I got a reply saying:
Thank you for choosing Dell! Please be advised that Dell is unable to process your recent order(s) due to invalid or missing credit card information. It may be that the information provided does not match the credit card company's records. Please contact Dell at 01344378887 - [3406730] to provide this information so we can complete your order.
Please note that failure to contact us may result in cancellation of your order. To expedite the handling of your call, please have your Dell Order number when calling. We apologize for any inconvenience this additional security step may cause. Dell is committed to providing a safe and secure shopping experience for our customers

I know there is no "missing" credit card information, and that I put the billing address in correctly. When I call that number and enter the extension, it cuts off immediately. I can't seem to get through to a person without putting in an extension number.

I'm starting to feel uneasy about buying an expensive product from a company with such odd practices. I've never had this much trouble handing over money to a website before. If they are truly worried about my identity, why don't they call me rather than send e-mails asking me to call them?

It's worth noting I am not applying for credit or any payment plans, I'm paying for the laptop in full with my credit card.

I'm seriously thinking about cancelling my order with them, but I thought I'd see what experiences others have had with their customer service, particularly once the product has arrived (if they ever allow me to pay for it...). I dread to think how it will be if the laptop is faulty.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you buying from the For Home tab or For Work tab?

I used them with no hassle whatsoever for many years.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For Home.

Have you ever had one of these e-mails from their "verification" team?

I found a generic number to call and got through to a person. Surprise surprise they can sell you a laptop over the phone from 8am-11pm but once you've handed over your money it's 9am-5pm, if you can get through :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For Home.

Have you ever had one of these e-mails from their "verification" team?

I found a generic number to call and got through to a person. Surprise surprise they can sell you a laptop over the phone from 8am-11pm but once you've handed over your money it's 9am-5pm, if you can get through :rolleyes:

No I never had such a thing. That's why I wondered if it may be a different process for business sales.

Home & Home Office - PCs, Laptops and Electronics

0844 444 5818 08:00-21:00 Monday-Friday

General Sales 0844 444 4699

Order Status (System Orders Only) 0844 444 4712

Customer Care General Order Enquiries 0844 444 4712
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds like you may have accidentally ordered through the 'for work' section... They sometimes require validation depending on how you've ordered.
    I've bought many Dell machines for home and office use since 1997 and never had any problems.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mred2000 wrote: »
    Sounds like you may have accidentally ordered through the 'for work' section... They sometimes require validation depending on how you've ordered.
    I've bought many Dell machines for home and office use since 1997 and never had any problems.

That's what I thought too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just had a look, the one I ordered isn't even available on the work tab, so it's definitely not that.
  • SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I ordered a Dell laptop last year and there was a problem with my credit card.
    It turned out the card company had considered that the payment being over £400 was a lot more than I'd usually spend so they put a stop on the transaction.

Called the card company and after security questions they authorised it and then I called Dell back and it went through ok.

I seem to remember having to verify the order early on too.

Might be worth checking with the credit card company to make sure there's no problems at their end.
  • MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dear Customer,
    There's the clue. The sender doesn't know your name so it's a scam.

But according to this it might not be: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/customercare/f/4674/t/19476574.aspx

I'd ring a verified main number for Dell and ask. If it's really Dell, they need a really good b****ing for NOT using your name.
  • MigsterMigster Posts: 4,204
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As an online retailer of PCs/laptops, I'm sure Dell will be targetted by fraudsters and as such will have systems in place to flag potentially suspicicious transactions. It may be that your order has triggered something, so they now want to carry out some checks to ensure you are a genuine customer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I ordered a Dell laptop last year and there was a problem with my credit card.
    It turned out the card company had considered that the payment being over £400 was a lot more than I'd usually spend so they put a stop on the transaction..

I had thought of that, although wouldn't my bank call me to warn me there had been suspicious activity on the account?
    There's the clue. The sender doesn't know your name so it's a scam.

But according to this it might not be: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/customercare/f/4674/t/19476574.aspx

I'd ring a verified main number for Dell and ask. If it's really Dell, they need a really good b****ing for NOT using your name.

As I said in the OP, I have checked it out and it isn't a scam. I had the same thought at first though!
    Migster wrote: »
    As an online retailer of PCs/laptops, I'm sure Dell will be targetted by fraudsters and as such will have systems in place to flag potentially suspicicious transactions. It may be that your order has triggered something, so they now want to carry out some checks to ensure you are a genuine customer.

Yes I'm sure, so why not provide a number I can actually call, or call me instead of e-mailing every two days? :(
  • MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It certainly seems that you've provided incorrect or insufficient information. I run a mail-order company and we're continually having to ask customers for the correct address, expiry date, phone number or whatever. Sometimes it's blatantly wrong - like when they type 0000000000 for the phone number!

We always send an immediate order confirmation by email, with a request to check the details carefully. Most people can't be bothered - even when mistakes are blatantly obvious (like they type "2£4 Dewbury Road" or similar, so we then have to ask them whether the £ should be a 3 or whether they simply hit the £ key by mistake.

So check the details on your order confirmation VERY carefully.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the advice about why they are sending these e-mails etc.

What I'm more concerned about is if this kind of thing (numbers that don't work, no e-mails for days) is their typical customer service? Yeah_Jackie has had good experiences with them, what about other DSers?
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What I'm more concerned about is if this kind of thing (numbers that don't work, no e-mails for days) is their typical customer service? Yeah_Jackie has had good experiences with them, what about other DSers?

No, it's not typical CS from Dell. I've had very good support from them on both the home and business side but have only dealt with the business side since about 2005 so can't comment on recent home support.

If you asked in the PC & Mac section of this forum then you might get some more feedback...
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the advice about why they are sending these e-mails etc.

I've always had crap experience with Dell. Both their computers and customer service.

I voted with my feet and simply don't buy their computers anymore.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mred2000 wrote: »
    No, it's not typical CS from Dell. I've had very good support from them on both the home and business side but have only dealt with the business side since about 2005 so can't comment on recent home support.

If you asked in the PC & Mac section of this forum then you might get some more feedback...

I bought a laptop for personal use from Dell a few months ago. I found their customer service to be excellent.
  • krytenkkrytenk Posts: 1,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Dell laptop is five years old now, and I've today resolved an issue with them. Their CS have been excellent, and the laptop itself is far and away the best I've ever owned. It does sound to me like your credit card co have blocked it - probably best to ring and check with them.

(Completely off topic, I discovered last week that HSBC will block your credit card if you overpay them and your account ends up in credit! But they won't tell you until you try to use the card in question and can't. Not sure of the logic behind it!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This just gets stranger and stranger. I had an automated e-mail this morning saying my payment has gone through and my laptop will be shipped out today. I still haven't managed to talk to anyone or got a reply to my other e-mails, so there obviously wasn't any missing CC information or a problem with my e-mail address. :confused:

Thanks for the replies, I do feel comforted knowing that the majority seem to rate their customer service highly. I just hope my laptop is in working order when it gets here!