British Gas Electric Meter more credit than paid for!

livininadavelivininadave Posts: 143
Forum Member
Hi,

I woke up this morning and checked my electric meter as I know I needed to top it up. I looked at the credit on it, and was expecting it to be lurching towards emergency. Imagine my surprise to see that there was just over £48 credit on it. The last time it was topped up was on 10th October by £20, which by now should have run out (our house is electric only, no gas).

Has anyone else had any experience like this before? As far as I'm aware, the meter isn't connected to anything (internet-wise) and i'm not due any money from them. I've had no letters from them saying they owe me money (in fact, I owe them). No one has been in the house and touched the meter.

That £48 was just there this morning.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Christmas come early?
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, but they WILL find you :eek:
  • Rachael.Rachael. Posts: 2,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could it be that when you topped up the person in the shop put in the wrong amount? Do you still have the receipt? This happened to me before except it was just an extra tenner. I did not confess :o and nothing ever happened.
  • livininadavelivininadave Posts: 143
    Forum Member
    Rachael. wrote: »
    Could it be that when you topped up the person in the shop put in the wrong amount? Do you still have the receipt? This happened to me before except it was just an extra tenner. I did not confess :o and nothing ever happened.
    No. I bought the credit over the internet and checked the receipt last night.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You might find you've overpaid something and they've re-credited it back to your account ?

It's probably worth ringing them to check what's going on - it'll be a pain to lose the credit if it's an error, but i suppose it's better to do it now and not have them realise in a few months time and ask you for it back when you're skint.
  • Jean_DanielsJean_Daniels Posts: 5,031
    Forum Member
    No. I bought the credit over the internet and checked the receipt last night.

how can you buy credit over the internet throught you could only buy from certain shops/post offices unless you pay by dd,
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    how can you buy credit over the internet throught you could only buy from certain shops/post offices unless you pay by dd,

Some companies sell credit for the meter over the internet, some do not. I know British Gas does.
  • LiamCarbinLiamCarbin Posts: 357
    Forum Member
    Some companies sell credit for the meter over the internet, some do not. I know British Gas does.

With British Gas here and they sent us a usb thing for the card for the gas and the key for the electric. You just pop your key/card into the device and top up through their website.

As stated earlier in the thread, it maybe that the op was overcharged previously and BG have refunded the money as credit. Its happened here before.
  • NP73NP73 Posts: 258
    Forum Member
    My Severn Trent water meter went into reverse once, and had to be replaced. I wonder if something similar has happened.

ST never chased me for the money, though, they simply made a fresh start from the date the new meter went in.
  • RellyRelly Posts: 3,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    British Gas does a couple of cash-back things to customers a couple of times a year. They used to send a voucher that you could exchange in a local shop, but since the complaints about that (shopkeepers denied accepting them, said their machines weren't working as soon as they catch sight of the voucher, etc etc) they now send it straight to your electricity meter.

On my first one, my credit went up by £50 and I felt like you, livininadave, but then a few days later a letter turned up explaining it. :D The £50 I got was for (I'm pretty certain) having both gas and electricity with them, though. If I'm wrong, then fair enough - it was a while back now.