Amazon product: ''Lost in transit''

PalafrugelPalafrugel Posts: 2,219
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Happened to me 3 times in 3 months. Order a product, get an email saying item dispatched, never turns up... ask where it is and Amazon say, 'the item appears to be lost in transit - here is a full refund etc etc etc'

What intrigues me is that I no longer believe they have dispatched it the first place. They are far to quick to admit it has been 'lost in transit' and give me a full refund.

Anyone found this?

Comments

• big macbig mac Posts: 4,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is likely that they didn't even have the item in stock.
  • Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably in the jungle somewhere.
  • SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Palafrugel wrote: »
    Anyone found this?
    No, I can't say I have had a problem with Amazon, but occasionally some of the couriers they use are poor. Yodel round here used to be a shambles, and dishonest with it, in that they'd lie about having attempted delivery or left cards, and they'd actually claim they'd delivered an item and then forge the customer's signature. In my experience they didn't actually steal anything, though.
  • FriendlyGoatFriendlyGoat Posts: 4,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Palafrugel wrote: »
    Happened to me 3 times in 3 months. Order a product, get an email saying item dispatched, never turns up... ask where it is and Amazon say, 'the item appears to be lost in transit - here is a full refund etc etc etc'

What intrigues me is that I no longer believe they have dispatched it the first place. They are far to quick to admit it has been 'lost in transit' and give me a full refund.

Anyone found this?

Is it Amazon themselves or a Marketplace seller you are buying from?
  • PalafrugelPalafrugel Posts: 2,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^ Fulfilled By Amazon?

Here is the copy and pasted email I get each time:
    Hello,

Further to your e-mail, I understand that you've concern regarding your order no: **3-7105**-16995**. I do understand that it hasn't been delivered to you yet.

I’m sorry that you haven't received your order - the parcel should have reached you by now. It seems to be lost in transit.

Normally, in this situation, I'd create a replacement order for the lost item right away, to be sent to you as soon as possible at no additional charge. However, this item was ordered with Mobikase EU, labelled "Fulfilled By Amazon". Such items are dispatched to you directly from an Amazon fulfilment centre. Because Mobikase EU's inventory is constantly changing, we can't replace any items sold by them that are Fulfilled By Amazon.
  • solenoidsolenoid Posts: 15,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iPhone went walkabout.

But the new one that I ordered (after informing amazon of the undelivered item) arrived okay.

I was refunded for the first item.

Then received email saying the first iPhone had been returned and I had my postal costs refunded.

I have no idea how it ended up back at amazon since I never received the first iPhone.

I reckon someone in the delivery store stole it, was found out, and rather than amazon pressing charges he/she returned it willingly and offered to pay for return postal costs. So that their books then said "Returned item."
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That happened when my Kindle paperwhite was lost in transit. Amazon sent a replacement immediately and extended my Prime membership by one month. A couple of days after I received a replacement, I received a note that the original order had returned to Amazon and I was getting a full refund.

I thought they had made a mistake, so I contacted them and explained I already have the replacement so I wasn't entitled to the refund. They assured me I was. I still don't get it, but yay. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amazon themselves have always been a cut above other retailers when it comes to helping customers. Marketplace sellers are a different story, however Amazon will always fall on your side if something goes wrong with one of them.
  • NilremNilrem Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    Amazon tend to take CS/delivery pretty seriously so their default position seems to be send a replacement/refund ASAP, certainly if it's something that has been sent via a tracked method (be it RM tracked, or one of the couriers).

I suspect in the case of stuff getting returned so fast, it's almost certainly down to the courier basically not bothering to attempt a delivery/running out of time and rather than retrying, sending it back.

Takae, something like that happened with a DVD box set I ordered, the original got lost in the post so they sent a replacement out, then the original turned up about a week later.
    They refunded me when I returned the lost one, and it took me a few minutes to explain to the CS guy that I'd still got one (the replacement), so a refund was necessary.
  • TCD1975TCD1975 Posts: 3,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    big mac wrote: »

Absolute rubbish. If they didn't have the item in stock they would tell you straight away. They wouldn't tell you that they'd sent it and then make you wait a couple of weeks for it to not turn up.

It's far more likely that, if your report that an item hasn't arrived, they have a no-quibble policy, take you word for it, assume that it was lost in transit, and return your money or send a replacement straight away.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just had an Amazon delivery. I had no idea that they delivered on Sundays. Or is it just a Christmas special?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just had an Amazon delivery. I had no idea that they delivered on Sundays. Or is it just a Christmas special?

Amazon Prime includes Sunday delivery if you have that.
  • SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably just a courier trying hard to keep up with the pre-Christmas rush of deliveries.
  • ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    I'm still awaiting delivery of something I ordered on 11th December. I rang Amazon yesterday & they told me they sent it via Royal Mail but it's not trackable. Unfortunately, it's a christmas present, so they're sending it out again
  • davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Royal Mail has done Sunday deliveries at previous Christmases, I presume they're doing so again this year.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TCD1975 wrote: »
    Absolute rubbish. If they didn't have the item in stock they would tell you straight away. They wouldn't tell you that they'd sent it and then make you wait a couple of weeks for it to not turn up.

You're being a tad naive. I've worked for a company that sold items via Amazon Marketplace and they held on to orders for months until someone chased.

In fact, the default excuse for someone not receiving their order was 'it must have been lost in the post. Unfortunately we no longer stock this item so we will have to issue a refund.'
  • rhynoGBrhynoGB Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had it twice happen to me. they just refunded me and i got it else where. It happens i'm afraid. Not alot you can do about it.
  • PootmatootPootmatoot Posts: 15,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    big mac wrote: »

No it isn't.

Amazon didn't get their superb customer service reputation by conning people for pennies and pounds.

The most likely explanation, by far, is with a thief at your post office/delivery hub/courier or that some daft courier is leaving the parcels somewhere silly through a misunderstanding over your address.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're being a tad naive. I've worked for a company that sold items via Amazon Marketplace and they held on to orders for months until someone chased.

In fact, the default excuse for someone not receiving their order was 'it must have been lost in the post. Unfortunately we no longer stock this item so we will have to issue a refund.'

That's physically impossible if the item is Fulfilled by Amazon, as said here. *Amazon* are the one dispatching it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pootmatoot wrote: »
    No it isn't.

Amazon didn't get their superb customer service reputation by conning people for pennies and pounds.

The most likely explanation, by far, is with a thief at your post office/delivery hub/courier or that some daft courier is leaving the parcels somewhere silly through a misunderstanding over your address.

Unless it was a Marketplace seller rather than Amazon themselves.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unless it was a Marketplace seller rather than Amazon themselves.

Not if they use Fulfilled by Amazon, as stated here.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pootmatoot wrote: »
    Not if they use Fulfilled by Amazon, as stated here.

Fair enough, someone's at your post OP.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,623
    Forum Member
    Presumably Amazon use pattern recognition of all failed deliveries and can quickly identify a suspect link in the chain.
  • justatechjustatech Posts: 976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had a parcel dispatched, went to another depot with Hermes, then to Tyneside depot where it vanished off the face of the Earth. Phoned amazon and they refunded straightaway and left me to reorder the stuff - two items of which were out of stock. The third item was delivered within a couple of days.

Not like them, really.
  • big macbig mac Posts: 4,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TCD1975 wrote: »

It's far more likely that, if your report that an item hasn't arrived, they have a no-quibble policy, take you word for it, assume that it was lost in transit, and return your money or send a replacement straight away.

The OP didn't specify it they were referring to a Marketplace Seller or not in the first post, so I would argue that especially if that is the case what I suggested is not "absolute rubbish" at all.

Even it is from Amazon directly, it seems bizarre that they would just refund it straight away without any investigation into where the parcel is. I suppose they are so large as a company that they can afford to do that and take the customers word for it. For me personally having worked for a small business that does web orders, there's no way we could ever afford to just refund someone who claimed their item hadn't arrived without investigating it first.