Summer Transfer Rumors & Deals 2014

12346»

Comments

• Jim De VilleJim De Ville Posts: 16,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Xela M wrote: »
    Not impressed with English youth or "potential" at all.

I see.

So United should have binned Beckham, Scholes and Neville, rather than putting them in the team.

They also shouldn't have spent all of that money on Wayne Rooney, Chelsea shouldn't have bought Lampard, and Arsenal should have bought some foreign, mid-twenties left-back, rather than give Cole a chance.
  • SuperTed_SuperTed_ Posts: 164
    Forum Member
    Jamesp84 wrote: »
    Chelsea didn't sign Shaw, therefore Codeblue will look to get digs in about him all the time.

Standard behaviour.

Chelsea good! Other teams bad!
  • Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see.

So United should have binned Beckham, Scholes and Neville, rather than putting them in the team.

They also shouldn't have spent all of that money on Wayne Rooney, Chelsea shouldn't have bought Lampard, and Arsenal should have bought some foreign, mid-twenties left-back, rather than give Cole a chance.

Surely I was talking about current English talent. I'm not a big fan of the others, but Scholes was the closest England got to a worldclass player (since Gazza). I have not seen any young English player of today who could lace his boots.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Xela M wrote: »
    Surely I was talking about current English talent. I'm not a big fan of the others, but Scholes was the closest England got to a worldclass player (since Gazza). I have not seen any young English player of today who could lace his boots.

Wilshere, Barkley and Sterling have huge potential. Shaw is on a par with Cole, at a similar age. It's unlikely that any of them will hit Scholes' level, but that's an unrealistic bar.

As for not rating 'the others', I find that very odd. In fact, chuck Gerrard and Ferdinand in there too. Brilliant players.
  • JMTDJMTD Posts: 7,967
    Forum Member
    codeblue wrote: »
    It's that word "potential" again.

It doesn't exist.

Why not pay that thirty million for a player who has proved he can do it for more than one season? Otherwise we would have to pay the highest market value for teenagers after one season, much higher than proven players in the league at he age of say 26 and about to be in their prime. When you think about it, it's madness.

That potential has apparently turned up unfit, and is now training away from the main squad!

Trying to take another shot at Shaw/United. For the record, it was Shaw who asked for the extra training. It was also Shaw who cut his holiday short to return to the club a week early. Seems like the guy is dedicated to working his ass off to prove himself at the club, bad news for you.
  • Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Codeblue is always trying to stir shit, its so boring.
  • TheMunchTheMunch Posts: 9,024
    Forum Member
    Wilshere, Barkley and Sterling have huge potential. Shaw is on a par with Cole, at a similar age. It's unlikely that any of them will hit Scholes' level, but that's an unrealistic bar.

As for not rating 'the others', I find that very odd. In fact, chuck Gerrard and Ferdinand in there too. Brilliant players.

Ashley Cole, John Terry, Ferdinand, Gerrard, Lampard, Scholes, Rooney, could all have been considered worldclass at some point during their career. But they're English so you can't call them that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JMTD wrote: »
    Trying to take another shot at Shaw/United. For the record, it was Shaw who asked for the extra training. It was also Shaw who cut his holiday short to return to the club a week early. Seems like the guy is dedicated to working his ass off to prove himself at the club, bad news for you.

Spot on.

The lad clearly has a decent attitude. And bags of talent.

Should prove to be a quality signing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TheMunch wrote: »
    Ashley Cole, John Terry, Ferdinand, Gerrard, Lampard, Scholes, Rooney, could all have been considered worldclass at some point during their career. But they're English so you can't call them that.

Correct.

Add Beckham and Neville and all of them have been key players in Champions League winning sides.

The pinnacle of the game.
  • NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SuperTed_ wrote: »
    Chelsea good! Other teams bad!

We have to copy the Chelsea model. Buy a shitload of potential Worldclass players,send all 48 out on loan to the far flung corners of Europe,cross fingers,act smug and wait.

Sorry,only works for Chelsea though. :p
  • codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We have to copy the Chelsea model. Buy a shitload of potential Worldclass players,send all 48 out on loan to the far flung corners of Europe,cross fingers,act smug and wait.

Sorry,only works for Chelsea though. :p

Its not exactly a new tactic in football, buy young talent, sell them on at a profit.

It is one way to keep within FFP rules.

Id rather Chelsea play some of them though, it can be frustrating to hear that we have signed a new player knowing i'll probably never see them play for the club.

However, i accept this to keep us up there at the top, able to buy players like Costa and Cesc and still keeping within the rules.
  • ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    Everton making a big money signing? :eek: This window just gets crazier! Lukaku's all-around game needs a fair amount of refining, but he's got plenty of time on his side and he'll definitely get them goals in the meantime. Could be a great capture for Martinez.
  • Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    codeblue wrote: »
    It's that word "potential" again.

It doesn't exist.

Just going to park this here....
  • NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Parthenon wrote: »
    Everton making a big money signing? :eek: This window just gets crazier! Lukaku's all-around game needs a fair amount of refining, but he's got plenty of time on his side and he'll definitely get them goals in the meantime. Could be a great capture for Martinez.

I wonder where they got such a large sum of money from? Ahh, oh...yeah now I remember! ;-):o