The London Rush Hour

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I don't know how people who work in london and have to go through it everyday cope with it? I occasionally get caught up in it as i have to travel from one side of london to the other every now and again and it is just hell, especially on the tube. People all packed in no room to move, it's horrible

Does anyone off here have to endure it everyday for work?

Comments

• BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you live or work in London you deserve it.
  • RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I commuted an hour each way for a decade (I actually live centrally but my office was a little less central so I was actually going "against" rush hour traffic for most of the journey). It wasn't too bad, I read a lot of books!

We then moved offices, we were much more central and I was able to walk or else it was just 2 stops on the train.

We have now moved again and again I am within walking distance so public transport isn't a massive issue for me.

Plenty of people I work with commute long distances on the Tube though, it's just a means to an end afterall.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you live or work in London you deserve it.

Bit harsh?! :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pjw1985 wrote: »
    Bit harsh?! :o

Not really, you can't complain about something you are causing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It wasn't too bad, I read a lot of books!

Well it's not so bad if you're lucky enough to get a seat. It's just about bearable then
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not really, you can't complain about something you are causing.

People have to live somewhere, people have to work somewhere. We can't all live in the middle of nowhere and work on our own doorsteps, this isn't eastenders
  • DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you leave early enough and you're on a halfway decent line, it's not so bad. Plus there are overground options and buses. There are ways around it for most people. I view it as reading time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to. I can still remember the smell of the underground, and the sound of the tube trains clattering along is forever burned into my brain. The most annoying thing was when you'd hear the door between the carriages open and some filthy inebriated tramp or a busker with a guitar would come through and expect you to give them money.
  • A321A321 Posts: 6,363
    Forum Member
    Motorbike and filter through the traffic. I've given up on public transport.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A321 wrote: »
    Motorbike and filter through the traffic. I've given up on public transport.

Sounds like a good option to me :)
  • DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Red John wrote: »
    I used to. I can still remember the smell of the underground, and the sound of the tube trains clattering along is forever burned into my brain. The most annoying thing was when you'd hear the door between the carriages open and some filthy inebriated tramp or a busker with a guitar would come through and expect you to give them money.

Each to their own, but I find 45 mins stuck underground between tunnels is more annoying than a busker or a homeless.
  • Ted CTed C Posts: 11,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DianaFire wrote: »
    If you leave early enough and you're on a halfway decent line, it's not so bad. Plus there are overground options and buses. There are ways around it for most people. I view it as reading time.

Pretty much sums it up for me, having lived and worked in London for 35 years.

I never understand how some people view it as some sort of 'hell on earth', when at best it is a daily inconvenience that millions of Londonders go through every day.

And as others rightly say, most of us find something else to do to pass the time, like read, listen to music, or use their phones, even play games, do crosswords etc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pretty much sums it up for me, having lived and worked in London for 35 years.

I never understand how some people view it as some sort of 'hell on earth', when at best it is a daily inconvenience that millions of Londonders go through every day.

And as others rightly say, most of us find something else to do to pass the time, like read, listen to music, or use their phones, even play games, do crosswords etc.

But what if you're standing pressed in with someones armpit in your face and someones elbow digging in your back? :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People have to live somewhere, people have to work somewhere. We can't all live in the middle of nowhere and work on our own doorsteps, this isn't eastenders

You are free to live and work anywhere you want in the whole of Europe, if you choose to live in some grimehole with millions of others then don't complain about crowding cos its you that's causing it.
  • trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's quite a few years since I had to cram on the Central Line in rush hour every day, but I used to quite enjoy it.

You'd be surprised what goes on when you're all pressed together like sardines.....;-)
  • A321A321 Posts: 6,363
    Forum Member
    Sounds like a good option to me :)

It can get a bit dreary when the weather is bad, but it's brilliant on most days. No congestion charge, use of most bus lanes and about £11 a week in petrol, and that's going from out west to near Camden everyday.
  • spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When i used to work in London I missed the morning rush hour as was in work way before it started but going home was an absolute nightmare when you have been on your feet all day the last thing you want is to be squashed on tube then squashed on the train glad I left it all behind
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are free to live and work anywhere you want in the whole of Europe, if you choose to live in some grimehole with millions of others then don't complain about crowding cos its you that's causing it.

Right ok then
  • trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    , if you choose to live in some grimehole with millions of others .

A grimehole people will pay quite staggering amounts of money to live in. Like me, for example.
  • UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We're not complaining, just getting on with it. It's the lightweight part timers that are complaining.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trevgo wrote: »
    A grimehole people will pay quite staggering amounts of money to live in. Like me, for example.

And a lot of people don't find the opportunities elsewhere like there are in london
  • kitty86kitty86 Posts: 7,034
    Forum Member
    I don't mind the tubes normally and having moved to the end of a tube line now it's an easy way to get up to London. However if I travel during the week in rush hour I automatically become this miserable hard faced woman with a scowl on my face to get through it whereas I'm normally much more pleasant and smiley. Thankfully I don't work in the City so it's just once a month for a meeting.
  • whitecliffewhitecliffe Posts: 12,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I try to avoid the main rush hour by getting in early and leaving early. As long as I get my work done my company don't mind. In winter I will probably start the battle again some how early mornings in winter don't appeal!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UKMikey wrote: »
    We're not complaining, just getting on with it. It's the lightweight part timers that are complaining.

I'm actually NOT complaining. This happens to me a lot on here, people think i'm moaning when i'm not. I just wanted to hear other people's take on it. Yes i said it's horrible etc but we can have our view on something, it doesn't mean we're always complaining just for saying we don't like something. Most things i start on here is for a discussion/other people's views
  • mountymounty Posts: 19,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find the overground from east london isnt too bad