EBC (English Broadcasting Corporation) (Part 3)

Comments

• exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Mark. wrote: »
    He's a representative of the BBC and as such should not use "we" when broadcasting to a UK-wide audience..

:yawn: he's English regardless of him being a representative, and remember Ally Mcoist often says/said the same of Scotland on MOTD? but of course he's the wrong type of Scotsman :D
    I'm pretty sure that was the outcome of the previous discussion on this.

It wasn't, see above.
  • Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :yawn: he's English regardless of him being a representative,
    That doesn't matter.

He was working for the British Broadcasting Corporation and as such should only refer to "we" when talking about GB+NI.
    and remember Ally Mcoist often says/said the same of Scotland on MOTD? but of course he's the wrong type of Scotsman :D
    Ally McCoist worked for ITV. But he's also a pundit and not a presenter; big difference.
    It wasn't, see above.
    I can assure you it was.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29
    Forum Member
    I have long ago just accepted that BBC = EBC (english) last nights question time first question about Englands WC bid nothing to do with the rest of us, second Question about Englands tuition fees nothing to do with the rest of us,
    Forum Member
    That doesn't matter.

He was working for the British Broadcasting Corporation and as such should only refer to "we" when talking about GB+NI.

Ally McCoist worked for ITV. But he's also a pundit and not a presenter; big difference.

I can assure you it was.

No it wasn't, anyway Mark is there nothing else to do today, nothing on the website?, I'd have thought you'd be out in the snow sledging while schools are closed.

Re McCoist, yeah so I got the name wrong (it should have been Alan Hansen) but I'm sure you know who I meant from previous discussions here seeing as you're so positive of the result

BTW, British (as in BBC) is just the name/title, it was and still is an English corporation that broadcasts to the UK via its national, regional and local studios.
  • pedrokpedrok Posts: 16,765
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hammie666 wrote: »
    I have long ago just accepted that BBC = EBC (english) last nights question time first question about Englands WC bid nothing to do with the rest of us, second Question about Englands tuition fees nothing to do with the rest of us,

Didn't Dimbilby have a go at Nicola Sturgeon a few weeks ago and pointed out that it was a 'nationwide' programme?

As for the World Cup, I'm disappointed England didn't win it. I was in Germany during the World Cup 4 years ago and it was fantastic.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BTW, British (as in BBC) is just the name/title, it was and still is an English corporation that broadcasts to the UK via its national, regional and local studios.
    Finally you admit what we've been saying all along.

But at the same time, you unfortunately seem to think it's acceptable that that's how the BBC operates.
  • iainiain Posts: 63,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Typo; I meant to say "...shouldn't use 'we' when referring to England".

why not?

just because someone works for the BBC hardly means that they have to always refer to Britain.

not for the first time your argument seems devoid of both context and common sense.

hypothetically, if it had been a Scottish employee of the BBC talking about a joint Scottish / Northern Irish bid for the Euros, and said something similar, I'd bet my house you wouldn't have batted an eyelid.

Iain
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bbc4ever wrote: »
    I really don't understand why you aren't getting this.

The negatives relating to the bid required the UNITED KINGDOM Government (ie. us all) to give various concessions to FIFA regarding tax exemption, free visas etc that affect the UK as a whole.

The positives relating to the bid were all about ENGLAND, given that it was an English bid. The World Cup would have been held in ENGLAND, not the UK as a whole and therefore the tourists, the money, the exposure, etc etc would have been directed solely to ENGLAND. This has nothing to do with Scotland. However, the UK Government, acting as the Government of simultaneously England, Scotland, Wales and NI would have been happy to apply FIFA's unfair concessions throughout the whole country.

What is so confusing about that??

nothing is confusing.

but wouldn't the brunt of the negatives be born south of the border, just as the majority of the positives will affect England?

Iain
  • BMoizBMoiz Posts: 1,745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hammie666 wrote: »

So we should ignore something that affects 50 million people because it doesn't affect the other 10 million?

Tuition fees is an issue because it affects the state of the UK government and less people going to university affects Scotland as well because Scottish universities take on English students.

If Question Time comes from Glasgow and they talk about Scottish issues, do I get to start a thread and complain about that?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iain wrote: »
    why not?

just because someone works for the BBC hardly means that they have to always refer to Britain.
    When they are a representative of the BBC and broadcasting to a national audience, "we" should only be used when talking about the UK as a whole. Simple as that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,718
    Forum Member
    Trajet wrote: »
    And on the news England losing was mentioned before Scotland winning. Why?

Could it be that England loosing has a greater interest to the population of the UK?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,718
    Forum Member
    Koala wrote: »
    Perhaps he thought that the prog was being broadcast only to the unsuccessful :D:D nation.

That'll be what it is.....

As you could see by the winners and contest scandals bribery paid a huge part in the judges decision I suspect.

That aside Scotland will never hold a World Cup, unless they had England's help.
  • KoalaKoala Posts: 6,082
    Forum Member

At long last........you have admitted that is is an English corporation., and " British " is merely a name .

This will probably mean that we have seen the last of you on here, since you have converted to our cause.

Anyway, it's been good sparring with you over the years...no doubt we will meet again in another thread somewhere.:D
  • KoalaKoala Posts: 6,082
    Forum Member
    Jack1 wrote: »
    As you could see by the winners and contest scandals bribery paid a huge part in the judges decision I suspect. .

Nothing to do with arrogance, attitude or fan trouble then ?
    Jack1 wrote: »

That aside Scotland will never hold a World Cup, unless they had England's help.

Yes you are right....but would we really want to be associated with the arrogance, attitude and the behaviour of your fans ?

I don't think so.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 240
    Forum Member
    Jack, you're doing the English nation no favours with petty remarks like that. It's been over 50 years since we won it!

You never know, Scotland might win it if Brazil, Argentina, most of mainland Europe...etc end up under water. ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When they are a representative of the BBC and broadcasting to a national audience, "we" should only be used when talking about the UK as a whole. Simple as that.

its not that simple at all - because clearly not everything that the BBC ever refers to actually applies to the whole of Britain.

if it had been a Scottish employee of the BBC talking about a joint Scottish / Northern Irish bid for the Euros, and said something similar, would you have batted an eyelid?

Iain
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    its not that simple at all - because clearly not everything that the BBC ever refers to actually applies to the whole of Britain.
    Right...and?

Instead of using "we didn't get it" couldn't he have used "England didn't get it"?
    if it had been a Scottish employee of the BBC talking about a joint Scottish / Northern Irish bid for the Euros, and said something similar, would you have batted an eyelid?
    It all depends on the context.
    Forum Member
    Finally you admit what we've been saying all along..
    At long last........you have admitted that is is an English corporation., and " British " is merely a name .

Of course and I've said it many times before, have you two suddenly had a memory lapse or is it when suits?
    This will probably mean that we have seen the last of you on here, since you have converted to our cause.

Hehe you've not seen the last and as for cause, is it something that seriously effects your life in as much that you lose sleep over it or are you just namby tamby-ing?

But at the same time, you unfortunately seem to think it's acceptable that that's how the BBC operates.

Certainly, go campaign Salmond to set up your own broadcasting network but I'm willing to bet you'd get bugger all worth viewing for your money in the way of home programming, hello USA TV for Scotland :D
  • Marcus BradshawMarcus Bradshaw Posts: 4,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally, I can't believe Russia won the World Cup bid.

If they'd said they'd wanted a barren arctic wasteland with inadequate transport infrastructure and endemic racism, we could have put in a joint bid with Scotland.

Hello Jocks.. nice to see you're still carrying that sack of King Edward's on yer shoulder!

;)
  • pedrokpedrok Posts: 16,765
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally, I can't believe Russia won the World Cup bid.

If they'd said they'd wanted a barren arctic wasteland with inadequate transport infrastructure and endemic racism, we could have put in a joint bid with Scotland.

Hello Jocks.. nice to see you're still carrying that sack of King Edward's on yer shoulder!

;)

hahahahahahahahaha!!!!

Still the clown.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nothing is confusing.

but wouldn't the brunt of the negatives be born south of the border, just as the majority of the positives will affect England?

Iain

:rolleyes:

United Kingdom government (covering All 4 Nations) - dealing with negative aspect of all the concessions that must be given to FIFA on a nationwide basis.

England - the country actually hosting the tournament and the one that will benefit financially.

Simples, as a infamous meerkat may say.
    Forum Member

Iain

Not even a flicker and also when I gave Alan Hansen as an example to Mark I note no response; previously the excuse has been by another here was that Hansen has been anglicised by the BBC :D

It all depends on the context.

What context are you talking about Mark.. Hansen using "we" when talking of Scotland's game/performance is enough surely?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What context are you talking about Mark.. Hansen using "we" when talking of Scotland's game/performance is enough surely?
    You seem to be mixing up "presenter" and "pundit" again.
    Forum Member
    You seem to be mixing up "presenter" and "pundit" again.

AFAIC a guy talking onscreen is the same so again, what is the context you spoke of?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AFAIC a guy talking onscreen is the same...
    Nope.