Bullying on this Forum?

Comments

• priscillapriscilla Posts: 34,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cobwebsoup wrote: »
    I agree with your comment about how some on here play the victim card. I think it's nasty someone said you're illiterate. Also, didn't you get accused of having no knowledge of comedy or something all because you like Kim from Eastenders?

Yes, Pat and I got accused of it thats why we put it as our services. I can't believe the comments you got some people are nasty and they're all big talk behind a computer screen but they'd never confront you face to face, its like they get enjoyment out of insulting people.

Havent spoken to you in ages, hope you're well x
  • cobwebsoupcobwebsoup Posts: 4,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    priscilla wrote: »
    Yes, Pat and I got accused of it thats why we put it as our services. I can't believe the comments you got some people are nasty and they're all big talk behind a computer screen but they'd never confront you face to face, its like they get enjoyment out of insulting people.

It has been ages, I've been meaning to private message you to say hello and see how things are. You're right about some people sitting behind their computer screens - keyboard warriors I call them :D x
  • EveT1991EveT1991 Posts: 12,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I like Kim when she is being funny but she needs a storyline as well
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I thought the CCTV footage of her in the shop when she was drunk was hilarious.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It has been ages, I've been meaning to private message you to say hello and see how things are. You're right about some people sitting behind their computer screens - keyboard warriors I call them :D x

Haha yes :D
    It has been ages, good to speak to you. Still can't believe the comments you got so nasty and uncalled for.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I like her, I would like her to get a serious SL :)
    I thought the CCTV footage of her in the shop when she was drunk was hilarious.

Thats was hilarious :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like her, I would like her to get a serious SL :)

Thats was hilarious :D

I think Ray drags Kim down I want to see Kim in her own storyline away from Ray and I want to see Ray have a storyline away from Kim as well
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haha yes :D
    It has been ages, good to speak to you. Still can't believe the comments you got so nasty and uncalled for.

Haha I know, all I did was correct someone and then they told me in a long rant to go back to School and several other things. I think someone reported them because the comment vanished about five minutes later and the member became "Inactive" for a few weeks. Strange how some people get so mad over pretty much nothing :D

Mind if I send you a PM later for a little chat and a catch up? :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haha I know, all I did was correct someone and then they told me in a long rant to go back to School and several other things. I think someone reported them because the comment vanished about five minutes later and the member became "Inactive" for a few weeks. Strange how some people get so mad over pretty much nothing :D

Mind if I send you a PM later for a little chat and a catch up? :)

Silly people. Yes, we can catch up later :)
  • IdentityIdentity Posts: 1,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK, reading the posts so far, I felt like dropping my own two cents in (ok, knowing me, it is goign to be more than 2 ;P)

Firstly, there is this question of where this issue should be discussed. Well, I think that if it is about bullying in general, bullying on forums or even specifically on DSforums, the general board is the place to be. If the OP means to talk about bullying on this sepcific board, then, imo, it should be done right here, as chances of people involved is able to read what others think or have expierenced, and post their own views or issues on the subject, if they wish. On the general board, not everyone would find this thread. I don't know what the intention of this is, if it is to resolve something that may be going on here, it may be a good idea to know what every thinks/feels/whatever, if this turns into a complaining thread, well, not so much.

Secondly, I have never felt bullied myself on here, then again, I do sometimes see threads where the atmosphere is not very friendly and I simply don't get involved there ;P I can see why some people may feel they are being bullied, or maybe verbally attakced by other members, for most things I'm aware of, I find bullying a very, very strong word. And it's a word that must be used carefully, so that we won't call everything and the salt that goes on it bullying, for the word may lose it's meaning, which is bad.

Thirdly, this is a discussion board, so the whole point is for people to have different views on a variety of subjects, all to do with soaps, storylines, characters and actors. Personally, I like a good debate. I am absolutely fine with people disagreeing with me, and I freely and happily disagree with anyone who has an opinion that isn't mine. I do think that this only works when done repsectfully, and not with a sense of self-righteousness, so I really hope that nobody has ever felt picked on or disrespected by me. I know I sometimes disagree with the same person on various subjects, so it may come across as if I specifically target them, but I don't. If anyone ever feels that I did, please point it out to me, so I can try and not repeat that in the future.

However, a wise man (ok, my teacher) once said: "He who shouts the loudest, is usaully wrong. He who is the meanest, usually has the weakest point". I believe this to be true ;P. So even though this place is, again, in my view, not riddled with cyberbullies, there is plenty of room for improvement, as i do see many people calling others names, just to try and make their arguments or opinions look invalid. If you were really right, there would be no need for that and in most cases, I think there is no absolute truth either, so some poeple are getting their bloodpressure up over nothing.

I have always enjoyed this board, it is the only one I am on on DS anyway, so far, nothing to bad happened to me, and I hope to enjoy it for plenty more time. Hopefully everyone on here, including future members, lurkers and whatever else can be found on a forum, will be able to enjoy it as well!

Seeing the reactions that the original post provoked, I would say the issue is pretty much alive, so thank you Vaslav37 for creating a place to discuss the matter, it was clearly needed!
  • HarloweHarlowe Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Identity wrote: »
    OK, reading the posts so far, I felt like dropping my own two cents in (ok, knowing me, it is goign to be more than 2 ;P)

Firstly, there is this question of where this issue should be discussed. Well, I think that if it is about bullying in general, bullying on forums or even specifically on DSforums, the general board is the place to be. If the OP means to talk about bullying on this sepcific board, then, imo, it should be done right here, as chances of people involved is able to read what others think or have expierenced, and post their own views or issues on the subject, if they wish. On the general board, not everyone would find this thread. I don't know what the intention of this is, if it is to resolve something that may be going on here, it may be a good idea to know what every thinks/feels/whatever, if this turns into a complaining thread, well, not so much.

Secondly, I have never felt bullied myself on here, then again, I do sometimes see threads where the atmosphere is not very friendly and I simply don't get involved there ;P I can see why some people may feel they are being bullied, or maybe verbally attakced by other members, for most things I'm aware of, I find bullying a very, very strong word. And it's a word that must be used carefully, so that we won't call everything and the salt that goes on it bullying, for the word may lose it's meaning, which is bad.

Thirdly, this is a discussion board, so the whole point is for people to have different views on a variety of subjects, all to do with soaps, storylines, characters and actors. Personally, I like a good debate. I am absolutely fine with people disagreeing with me, and I freely and happily disagree with anyone who has an opinion that isn't mine. I do think that this only works when done repsectfully, and not with a sense of self-righteousness, so I really hope that nobody has ever felt picked on or disrespected by me. I know I sometimes disagree with the same person on various subjects, so it may come across as if I specifically target them, but I don't. If anyone ever feels that I did, please point it out to me, so I can try and not repeat that in the future.

However, a wise man (ok, my teacher) once said: "He who shouts the loudest, is usaully wrong. He who is the meanest, usually has the weakest point". I believe this to be true ;P. So even though this place is, again, in my view, not riddled with cyberbullies, there is plenty of room for improvement, as i do see many people calling others names, just to try and make their arguments or opinions look invalid. If you were really right, there would be no need for that and in most cases, I think there is no absolute truth either, so some poeple are getting their bloodpressure up over nothing.

I have always enjoyed this board, it is the only one I am on on DS anyway, so far, nothing to bad happened to me, and I hope to enjoy it for plenty more time. Hopefully everyone on here, including future members, lurkers and whatever else can be found on a forum, will be able to enjoy it as well!

Seeing the reactions that the original post provoked, I would say the issue is pretty much alive, so thank you Vaslav37 for creating a place to discuss the matter, it was clearly needed!

Well thought out post, you are right bullying is a lucid term I guess those who have experience it offline or even online will have their own view of how they feel they've been treated it isn't always black and white as its painted, lets hope the atmosphere for some can improve and nobody should feel subjected too it again.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm gonna throw my thoughts in and i cant stress i'm not having a go at anyone and feel free to tell me that i'm wrong! I know people get a bit touchy and pushy on here but how can anyone say their bullied on the forums!

We dont know each other we dont know know what we look like all we know about each other is our user names and personal fav's yes you need a thick skin to survive on here at times but unless FM's are getting access to your facebook or twitter accounts they knows where you live and are harassing you that way well other than that i dont really see any bullying activites here!

Ive got into arguments with folk on DS when they have layed into me but i dont consider it bullying they dont know me at all!

Like ive said if you think i'm wrong feel free to say thats my opinion on it! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm gonna throw my thoughts in and i cant stress i'm not having a go at anyone and feel free to tell me that i'm wrong! I know people get a bit touchy and pushy on here but how can anyone say their bullied on the forums!

We dont know each other we dont know know what we look like all we know about each other is our user names and personal fav's yes you need a thick skin to survive on here at times but unless FM's are getting access to your facebook or twitter accounts they knows where you live and are harassing you that way well other than that i dont really see any bullying activites here!

Ive got into arguments with folk on DS when they have layed into me but i dont consider it bullying they dont know me at all!

Like ive said if you think i'm wrong feel free to say thats my opinion on it! :)

It's rare, but I have seen a few posts before towards a certain member on here that could be considered by some as cyber bullying and she was clearly upset and hurt by constant mean comments from people. I've never seen actual bullying on the soap forum before, just some very harsh comments.
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This works both ways. I've seen people on here complain about being 'attacked' only to go and post unsavoury messages about other posters on Twitter etc.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm shocked that people feel they've been bullied here on the soap forum! Anywhere else on DS, maybe. But here?

This is my little safe place. I come here to escape everything else. Everyone makes me laugh and I try to make other people laugh. I really don't think I've ever been bullied here. I've been ribbed and teased a bit but that's probably because I'm - and lets be honest here - completely bat-sh*t! Also, I'm probably too dumb to realise if I was being bullied.

I'm just hoping no-one thinks I've ever picked on them? I mean, you wouldn't necessarily know that someone had taken what you said the wrong way, would you? And maybe my sense of humour dosen't translate on to here too well? I'd hate to think I'd made anyone feel ostracised? :( I've always felt the exact opposite.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it`s bulling if the comments were of a personal nature and nothing to do with an OP thats when the mods needs to be informed .
  • Guido9Guido9 Posts: 3,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In response to a post that appears to have since been withdrawn on here....! Yes, some people's spelling is abysmal on here but then it is all over the internet! I only really get annoyed by people on these forums who use text speak/short-hand on a permanent basis to communicate! It's mostly youngsters of course in the 14-25 age bracket - although older ones do it now too, having been converted to text speak too but it's wrong to be pulling them up on it still as it's what they were brought up using and it's what they know best!
  • Guido9Guido9 Posts: 3,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    leeruk wrote: »
    I think it`s bulling if the comments were of a personal nature and nothing to do with an OP thats when the mods needs to be informed .

Yes, some people spend their whole day on forums such as this as "trolls" - a sad reflection on society today but so sadly true it seems!
  • MsWilder11MsWilder11 Posts: 13,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If we're talking specifically about the soap forum, then I can't say I've ever seen outright bullying. Heated debates, snotty posts or tit-for-tat exchanges? Yes I've seen them, but is that really bullying?

Since it's a public forum, FMs are going to be a mixed bag. There will be arrogant, aggressive and generally obnoxious posters on here, but equally there will be witty, intelligent and generally nice posters on here too. There will also, inevitably, be trolls since the anonymity of the net gives people a free pass to pretty much post what they like. You really just have to take the rough with the smooth.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Guido9 wrote: »
    In response to a post that appears to have since been withdrawn on here....! Yes, some people's spelling is abysmal on here but then it is all over the internet! I only really get annoyed by people on these forums who use text speak/short-hand on a permanent basis to communicate! It's mostly youngsters of course in the 14-25 age bracket - although older ones do it now too, having been converted to text speak too but it's wrong to be pulling them up on it still as it's what they were brought up using and it's what they know best!

Bear in mind that some people (me :o ) are severely dyslexic but are trying their best :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    have to say am really surprised with this thread just goes to show how respectful we are of peoples opinions also that it`s nothing to do with soaps and two pages done .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    have to say am really surprised with this thread just goes to show how respectful we are of peoples opinions also that it`s nothing to do with soaps and two pages done .

Your thread about me went down quite well thank you for doing that for me.
  • NeomysterioNeomysterio Posts: 13,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Very true.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your thread about me went down quite well thank you for doing that for me.

glad it helped you .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    glad it helped you .

This discussion has been closed.