Comments

• Danny_FrancisDanny_Francis Posts: 5,656
    Forum Member
    DUNDEEBOY wrote: »
    They are now 7 points ahead of some so called top 4 teams

For now, let's not get too carried away
  • OneTreeHillFanOneTreeHillFan Posts: 7,725
    Forum Member
    No chance we will get in the top 4, top half would be fantastic!

I am pleased we have started the season strongly after so many people were touting us for relegation - still don't really understand why but hopefully they have changed their minds!
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,919
    Forum Member

After 3 games.
  • SuperTed_SuperTed_ Posts: 164
    Forum Member

Would you bet your posting privileges on them finishing top 4? I'm happy to say that if they do finish in the top 4 I will never post here again.
  • jackyorkjackyork Posts: 6,608
    Forum Member
    Flat Matt wrote: »
    Two games in and Swansea are going to finish in the top 4 ? :D

I will stick with my pre-season prediction of them finishing in the bottom 3 (or very close to it).
    I'll have whatever you're smoking OP. Bottom 4 yes, i'll take a bet on that.

If only I could take you both up on those incredible predictions I'd be a very rich man.:p
    Forum Member
    jackyork wrote: »
    If only I could take you both up on those incredible predictions I'd be a very rich man.:p

You wouldn't be that rich. I never told you what odds i'd offer.
    Forum Member
    Flat Matt wrote: »
    Two games in and Swansea are going to finish in the top 4 ? :D

I will stick with my pre-season prediction of them finishing in the bottom 3 (or very close to it).

I asked you why you thought this in another thread and you didn't answer, feel free to answer here instead.:p
  • Jason CJason C Posts: 31,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

We've played three games of a 38-game season.
  • yakutzyakutz Posts: 10,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, looking at the quality of certain other teams in the league I fail to see how anyone can see Swansea finishing in the bottom three. Similarly, they're obviously not going to be in the top four. They're a solid mid-table team capable of beating the teams beneath them and maybe giving some of the bigger teams a game.
  • EPYEPY Posts: 6,396
    Forum Member
    I'd be over the moon if we managed to finish in the top half. Realistically, the highest position we can possibly finish is 8th. Finishing comfortably in mid-table would suit me fine.

For those who think Swansea will be relegated, you can get odds of 14/1. Put your money where your mouth is. ;)
    Forum Member
    EPY wrote: »
    I'd be over the moon if we managed to finish in the top half. Realistically, the highest position we can possibly finish is 8th. Finishing comfortably in mid-table would suit me fine.

For those who think Swansea will be relegated, you can get odds of 14/1. Put your money where your mouth is. ;)

Already have done.
  • PES 2009PES 2009 Posts: 1,146
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fully expect top 4 to be the same as last season but in a different order.
  • LateralthinkingLateralthinking Posts: 8,027
    Forum Member
    I quite like them - but I'm finding it odd.

They've lost Michu, Alex Pozuelo, Chico Flores, Ben Davies, Vorm etc.

Obviously the Sigurdsson move has been good for them.

But Taylor is a bit iffy. Gomis has hardly set the world alight. Bony is a bit unsettled.

And they are having a much better season.
  • Joey_JJoey_J Posts: 5,146
    Forum Member
    Your joint points with the top of the league.....looks like you might be challenging for the title as well!! :D
  • denial_orstupiddenial_orstupid Posts: 665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

But Taylor is a bit iffy. Gomis has hardly set the world alight. Bony is a bit unsettled.

well as a Swans supporter perhaps i can enlighten you on what the truth is , Taylor was a fantastic player before his injury and then Ben Davis stepped in and took on Taylors position.
    Now Taylor is getting regular game time he is getting back to the fantastic player he was before , you`re not a welsh international if you are (iffy)
    Gomis has hardly got any game time , only coming on in the last 15 minutes usually,in the first game he started he actually scored so, how someone that has hardly been on the field can "set the world on fire" i do not know .
    Bony has been tremendous in his hold up play and creative play recently , no he hasn't scored but his work setting things up has been amazing.
    now i appreciate i watch far more of the swans than you do but you`re incorrect and i have explained why.

will Swansea finish top 4 ? No
    but they will finish in the top 10 and certainly wont be relegated .
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Remember Blackpool were near the top the season they were in the PL and they ended up being relegated.

For me Swansea have lost too many players and a decent manager Rodgers. I'm amazed they have stayed up.
    Forum Member

Players-wise, Michu didn't play most of last season due to injuries/sulking (no one's quite sure). He obviously is a brilliant player but we managed without him last season and now we have replaced him with Gylfi who again has been immense for us.

Pozuelo was one of a group of players bought in to bulk the squad up for the EL, he was never a regular starter in the PL, didn't play at all toward the end of the season - think there was some sort of falling out with him and Canas and the management. It is a shame he was left as he looked like a young player with a lot of potential, but it does not effect the starting 11.

Chico had the ability to be a great defender but he was often too reckless, we are pretty strong in central defence, we still have Ashley Williams and have three other CB's, two fairly young that were at the club last year (Bartley and Amat) and new signing Fernandez who was in Argentina's World Cup team, who are all capable of taking over from Chico, and are probably all a bit more reliable.

It was a shame to lose Ben Davies but we have a ready made replacement in Neil Taylor. He is not back to his pre injury best, but if he gets there he is pretty near Davies' standard - also he is less likely to go forward than Ben which is helpful defensively.

Vorm was poor last season - ask almost any Swansea fan and they will tell you Fabianski is a BIG improvement.

The Bony stuff is just paper talk, he is happy to stay at the club. He may not have scored yet this season but he is a striker who contributes to the team in a lot of other ways, as denial_orstupid mentioned.

Gomis has not had too much playing time but when I've seen him he's looked good.
    Remember Blackpool were near the top the season they were in the PL and they ended up being relegated.

For me Swansea have lost too many players and a decent manager Rodgers. I'm amazed they have stayed up.

:confused:

We have not been managed by Rodgers since our first season in the PL??

See above about players
  • celesticelesti Posts: 26,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blackpool went from relegation candidates in the Championship to near the top of the Premier League in around a year and then fell almost as fast, they really aren't similar to Swansea who've worked their way up and shown themselves fairly comfortable when there.
  • LateralthinkingLateralthinking Posts: 8,027
    Forum Member
    Thanks to the Swans fans who commented. Hernandez is another I could have added to the list. I wasn't meaning to sound critical. It's been a very good start for you but I've been trying to think why. Many players have left. And the good start comes after a season when more was expected than delivered, in view of the good season before it.

My remarks about Taylor were based partially on other fans' comments and speculation he hasn't made a case for being automatically in the first eleven. The latter may even have been implied by the manager. But I note the good points - international, has had injuries and is over those, goes forward more than Davies did. Clearly, Davies was a loss. I am not sure if being at Spurs benefits either him or Vorm seeing that Rose and Lloris seem to be favoured there currently. Fabianski, though, is a great acquisition while we - Arsenal - have got Ospina on who the jury is out.

Weren't Williams and Rangel out for long periods last year? That obviously made life difficult with Tiendalli, Amat etc having to slot in. Both the latter, I think, have already played this season so that part of it looks like a squad. I read - possibly on DS - that the wait for Fernandez has been very long and he is badly needed but I also recall towards the end of last season some commentators saying that Chico was Swansea's most underrated player.

Dyer has had a tremendous start but I'm wondering about the strength in depth in midfield and upfront. I thought Alex looked like a very good bet for the future and it is a pity that he has gone. I reckon I was right about Gomis. He couldn't set the world on fire with minimal game play so the difference hasn't been him even if he shows promise for this season. His past record is good. And Ki is increasingly spoken about positively and has a new contract.

Last year, Michu was a shadow of what he had been - he was one of the best players in the Premiership in 2012-13 - but there was no reason to think he shouldn't come back strongly. If you were to compare what he did in his best season with what Sigurdsson did at Spurs in the games he was allowed to play last year, he was streets ahead of him. But I recognise that is being selective. Sigurdsson had a better year in 2012-13 than Michu did last year and has returned to his best. Many saw it as inevitable before this season. I didn't. They were right and I was wrong.

Finally, I take the points about Bony - a player I like - but goals haven't come from him which means his scoring rate is down. There were, I think, 17 last year which is just under 1 in 2 of 38 and he didn't even play 38. But from memory, he starts seasons with few goals. I feel he only came good against Palace last year and that was some way into the season? If so, he could do as well this year, now that the transfer deadline has just about passed.
  • Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a chance they have only won three, they'll be mid table by Christmas.
    Forum Member
    Already have done.

Good ! I'll be back at the end of season to say "Told you so":p

There is the chance your superior DS football knowledge credentials will also start to descend.;-)
    Forum Member
    well as a Swans supporter perhaps i can enlighten you on what the truth is , Taylor was a fantastic player before his injury and then Ben Davis stepped in and took on Taylors position.
    Now Taylor is getting regular game time he is getting back to the fantastic player he was before , you`re not a welsh international if you are (iffy)
    Gomis has hardly got any game time , only coming on in the last 15 minutes usually,in the first game he started he actually scored so, how someone that has hardly been on the field can "set the world on fire" i do not know .
    Bony has been tremendous in his hold up play and creative play recently , no he hasn't scored but his work setting things up has been amazing.
    now i appreciate i watch far more of the swans than you do but you`re incorrect and i have explained why.

will Swansea finish top 4 ? No
    but they will finish in the top 10 and certainly wont be relegated .

I agree, Taylor was a fantastic player before his injury, I remember around that time such was his form Swansea and/or Wales used him as a right back in some games.

It was also around that time Newcastle tried buying him and I remember Taylor wanted the move but Swansea refused to sell.

I am surprised Swansea have looked so comfortable at the back considering they lost Chico and Ben Davies.
    Forum Member
    jackyork wrote: »
    Good ! I'll be back at the end of season to say "Told you so":p

There is the chance your superior DS football knowledge credentials will also start to descend.;-)

All I said was I'd take a bet on bottom 4. So I did and at 16/1 I think it offers great value, I will probably lay it off well before the end of the season.
  • denial_orstupiddenial_orstupid Posts: 665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All I said was I'd take a bet on bottom 4. So I did and at 16/1 I think it offers great value, I will probably lay it off well before the end of the season.

Offers great value because it is never going to happen in a million years I can get the same odds on Man united to win the premier league this season .
    Not even worth the fuel to get to the bookies .
    Forum Member
    Offers great value because it is never going to happen in a million years I can get the same odds on Man united to win the premier league this season .
    Not even worth the fuel to get to the bookies .

I don't need it to happen to make money though, that is the whole point. I just need the odds to get below 17's on Betfair.